Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My HERMS Build - ready for criticism

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2010, 03:33 AM   #51
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

made a few mistakes which lead to inefficient cooling as well as a mess to clean up that I hadn't anticipated. My efficiency was a couple percentage points lower than normal, too.

There were a few moments of panic, though. Three of my neighbors have automatic sprinkler systems and they all kicked on at some point during the session. The noise of those sprinklers made me think I had sprung a leak somewhere, so I would scramble to figure out what was wrong every time one of them kicked on.

But, all in all it went fairly well and I've got 5 gallons of APA in the fermentation chamber.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #52
Ohio-Ed

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Walker -
I appreciate you hosting the Brewcast of your first run on the new system.
I was late to the party, but found the Brewcast thing really cool (my first time attending). I know you probably felt like a cat on a hot roof, but from where I was watching, it looked like things went pretty smooth. I didn't see the mess you referred to on the webcam, so I'm not sure what happened. Looks like your setup (with the possible exception of your stand), is pretty solid. With a little fine tuning and the experience of a few more runs, I think you will be real happy.

Ed

Old 06-14-2010, 05:06 PM   #53
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The mess happened while I was chilling. I got it down to about 100 and then started running the recirculating wort through that fine mesh screen to filter out the hops. The hose wiggled off to the side when I wasn't looking and a pint or so of wort spilled down the back-side of the kettle, onto the table, and onto the floor.

It made for a longer clean-up because I had to remove the reflectix jacket on the kettle to wipe everything down, and I had to sort of mop the floor of the garage (just dumped a gallon of starsan on it and used the big broom to push it out the door.)

I definitely need to think about the stand. it's fairly sturdy, but it oscillated from side to side due to the hearty boil and sloshing of wort in the kettle. A few "X" braces and/or corner angles should help considerably.

Quick Reply