The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My HERMS Build - ready for criticism

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010, 06:33 PM   #11
Grimtas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

You have a "Pulse Width Modulator" but no "Flux Capacitor".. Epic Fail IMO.

J/k looking good from here.

Last edited by Grimtas; 04-13-2010 at 06:39 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2010, 06:36 PM   #12
Brewmoor
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I etched the circuit boards mostly because I was making a few of them. It makes soldering the components on a bit easier. I made some extras for backup and for another rig I am planning to build late spring or summer.

I am going to build a much simpler and much larger system. I will probably look at the modular DIN rails for that project. Dealing with wires and blocks were a pain. Plus this next project won't really be my money being spent

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve."

My build thread. Compact Single Tier!

Old 04-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #13
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmoor View Post
I etched the circuit boards mostly because I was making a few of them. It makes soldering the components on a bit easier. I made some extras for backup and for another rig I am planning to build late spring or summer.
Well... if you are so inclined, you can probably sell them to folks on HBT. I had posted a schematic and parts list somewhere here before and had a bunch of people ping me asking if I would build and sell them one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmoor View Post
I am going to build a much simpler and much larger system. I will probably look at the modular DIN rails for that project. Dealing with wires and blocks were a pain. Plus this next project won't really be my money being spent
The modular DIN rail stuff was a lot cheaper than buying the fixed power distribution blocks, so you'd be saving that person some money by using them.

I bought everything needed to distribute the 4 incoming wires from my primary cable out 3 ways for about $10 total. Adding two more outputs for a wire would cost $0.62, so you can go crazy here if you want and distribute the wires to a lot of places for a low cost.

If you need some DIN rail, let me know. I needed about 6" of it to mount the thing onto, but the shortest length they sold it in was about 5'. The other 4.5' of the stuff is just sitting there.

I thought about mounting my SSR's to it because the heatsinks are shaped so that they will also slide on to the rail, but I opted for just screwing the sink down directly.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:26 PM   #14
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimtas View Post
You have a "Pulse Width Modulator" but no "Flux Capacitor".. Epic Fail IMO.
Yeah, but I am going to put a scale around the PWM knob that goes to 11 instead of 10, so... does that help?

Old 04-13-2010, 07:32 PM   #15
Ohio-Ed

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Walker - What specific din rail terminal blocks did you use. I am total confused/overwhelmed when I try to look at them. It also appears the places I looked (automationdirect, mcmaster, etc) want to sell minimum qtys of like 50 blocks. I ended up going with fixed distribution blocks because I couldn't figure the din rail stuff out. I'd like to re-do my temporary setup before I put it inside the box I have.

Oh and BTW... drawing looks good. I only noticed one small flaw (I'll wait til you figure it out then tell you if you're right)

Ed

Old 04-13-2010, 07:37 PM   #16
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio-Ed View Post
Walker - What specific din rail terminal blocks did you use. I am total confused/overwhelmed when I try to look at them. It also appears the places I looked (automationdirect, mcmaster, etc) want to sell minimum qtys of like 50 blocks. I ended up going with fixed distribution blocks because I couldn't figure the din rail stuff out. I'd like to re-do my temporary setup before I put it inside the box I have.
That's the beauty of mouser.com. There's no minimum order (but they do offer discounts if you buy large volumes.

Let me get the links and I'll post them here. They stuff was rated for 50A (that's a typo in my original post that claimed 60A) and accepted wire up to 8 AWG, so it was perfect for my use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio-Ed View Post
Oh and BTW... drawing looks good. I only noticed one small flaw (I'll wait til you figure it out then tell you if you're right)

Ed
Well, I know of one potential nuisance issue (see the text under the image in my OP), but I wanted to see if anyone else noticed it.

I won't know for sure if it's an issue until I fire the system up for the first time and brew with it. I'll PM you and see if you have noticed the same thing that I am already wondering about.

But first.... mouser.com links.... coming right up.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #17
Walker

Recipes 

Here are the actual modules:
http://mouser.com/Search/ProductDeta...alkey845-CTS6U

Partition plates to separate the different poles:
http://mouser.com/Search/ProductDeta...key845-PP6/10U

An end-plate (needed only on one end of the assembly to cover the exposed metal):
http://mouser.com/Search/ProductDeta...key845-EP6/10U

Clamps to keep everything from sliding around on the rail (I used two, but probably needed just one to hold the end-plate on, the stuff took force to slide onto the rail there):
http://mouser.com/Search/ProductDeta...alkey845-CA802

And jumpers that screw in from the top so that multiple modules can be bridged together (I bought one of these and cut it into multiple pieces based on what I needed):
http://mouser.com/Search/ProductDeta...ey845-CA723/10

And here's the railing I bought to mount it all to. WAY more than I needed (30" length, I needed about 6"), but the shortest piece they sold:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...3ItEmxSw%3d%3d

Here's a link to a larger pic of my box' guts. The distribution block is there in the center, under the 120V receptacle:

Ignore the wiring on the left side of the block. This was part way through construction and I had it jimmy rigged for 120V to test switches and whatnot (one hot is tied to neutral and the whole thing is being fed from a dinky little cord. The short connector from the cord to the block is using a white wire for ground, so it looks really confusing.)

Old 04-13-2010, 10:23 PM   #18
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would buy a premade pulse width modulator to speed my conversion to an electric kettle. Someone needs to go batch-mode on these things.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 04-13-2010, 11:03 PM   #19
Walker

Recipes 

If I had the time, I would do it. The etching would SERIOUSLY cut the assembly time down.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:36 AM   #20
freddyb
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I'm using a PWM kit from Bakatronics with an SSR as controller for my BK. Changed the cap in this FK804 kit to reduce the frequency and it works great. http://www.bakatronics.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=383 Fast response, easy assembly, and cheap. I have a wall wart wired to give me DC. I'm a few batches in and couldn't be happier.

Quick Reply