Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Frigidaire 7.2 cu ft Chest Freezer Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
boralyl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default My Frigidaire 7.2 cu ft Chest Freezer Build

I was inspired by Quaffer's build and decided to begin my own Keezer project using the Black Frigidaire 7.2 cu ft Chest Freezer.

I bought the freezer new from Lowes. If you go to the post office and ask for a change of address form package a 10% off coupon is included within. This got me 25$ off the price, even thought the expiration date was 3 months ago.

The first item of business was removing the lid and testing to make sure all 4 kegs would fit. I had 2 pepsi style kegs(tall/skinny) and 2 coke style kegs(short/fat). I was able to fit 3 on the floor and one on the hump with room for a CO2 tank.

The next step was to add casters to the bottom to make it easier to move around. I picked up 4 2" casters at Lowes. I attached some wood to the bottom on 4 corners in order to mount the casters.

Construction of the collar began next. I went with pine for the wood. After measuring it out I came up with the bare bones version seen below.

Instead of of using foam board for insulation I made the collar solid wood and used a thinner board on the insides to hide the wood. Running around the top is some more pine that sticks out slightly over the edge. The edges were cut at a 45 degree angle for presentation. All wood was glued and screwed fast with 2" screws.

Now that the collar was constructed I measured where the holes would be and drilled 4 holes with a 7/8" bit. Below are some pictures with the faucets and shanks 'test mounted'.

It is now time to stain the collar. The pictures below have 2 coats applied with poly coming next.

I should hopefully have the collar and lid attached next week along with the bottle cap opener/catcher and drip tray. I'm using the Johnson/Johnson analog temperature controller which will be mounted in the back.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm not following your method of not using foam board at all. You said you used a thinner board to hide the inside of the wood. Why would you want to do that. I'm not knocking your build but just trying to understand it. I'm building the same thing now and I'm about to make the collar, if I don't have to use foam board then that makes me happy =). Do you think not using any foam board will have any effect on the system? I would think even if you used "solid wood" that you would still need. Most builds you see on this forum, everyone is using solid wood with foam.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
boralyl
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pola0502ds View Post
I'm not following your method of not using foam board at all. You said you used a thinner board to hide the inside of the wood. Why would you want to do that. I'm not knocking your build but just trying to understand it. I'm building the same thing now and I'm about to make the collar, if I don't have to use foam board then that makes me happy =). Do you think not using any foam board will have any effect on the system? I would think even if you used "solid wood" that you would still need. Most builds you see on this forum, everyone is using solid wood with foam.
Maybe that was just a poor choice of words on my part. The way I built the collar, there would have hardly been any room for foam insulation, so I just didn't include it. It should work fine, although may not be as efficient as some other builds. Cold air tends to stay at the bottom anyway, which is why some install fans to blow it up towards the top. Here is a thread that somewhat addresses the collar issue: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/do-c...99/index2.html

Old 05-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Are you going to keep adding pictures of your build to this thread?

Old 05-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
boralyl
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pola0502ds View Post
Are you going to keep adding pictures of your build to this thread?
Yes, there will be more pictures at the end of the weekend, which is the next chance I have to do some work on it.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

How are you attaching the collar to the freezer?

My Beer Review Blog: Beer Review Dude
My Craft Beer Social Network: Craft Beer Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 05-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #7
boralyl
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrookeiv View Post
How are you attaching the collar to the freezer?
I'll be using silicone caulk to seal and attach the collar. Between that and the collar's weight it should hold just fine. The lid will then be attached to the collar.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:54 PM   #8
Quaffer
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Looking good!
If you run the fan continuously then there should not be an issue with no foam board in the collar. You will lose some efficiency, but oh well.

Alcohol, the source of - and solution to - all of life’s problems. H.J.S.
My keezer, My E-brewery build thread, How I soldered 1" nut for heater

Old 05-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #9
MW66
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Looks good. I would give the collar a test run fitting by placing it on top on the freezer before you apply the caulk. My collar was just a little out of level after construction, but the aluminum brackets/screws in addition to the caulk helped to drive it into square and keep it level and secured.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #10
boralyl
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW66 View Post
Looks good. I would give the collar a test run fitting by placing it on top on the freezer before you apply the caulk. My collar was just a little out of level after construction, but the aluminum brackets/screws in addition to the caulk helped to drive it into square and keep it level and secured.
Yes, I did notice it's not quite level on one side, but the brackets along with the silicone will fix that.

Quick Reply