New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My first kegerator! Lots of questions, expert advice needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 06:25 AM   #21
60sd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Here's the latest:

I'm keeping the 20# co2 tank. I had to apply for an account with the distribution company, and a driver will be by to pick up the empty and drop off a full. It'll cost me about $30, not bad i think. (side note: they can only deliver to commercial customers, but apparently an automotive repair shop is good enough) Thanks to everyone on this forum for convincing me to keep the 20 pounder

I stripped the spray paint off the fridge and have sanded it down. It's ready to be masked and primed. I was gonna do that today, but I decided to brew instead!

Newest issue: The fridge is starting to stink! I think it may have something to do with condensation. It hasn't been plugged in since I got it, and obviously theres no food in it. I wiped down the inside with clorox wipes when I first got it. The smell is definitely coming from under or behind the fridge. I'll be looking for the source of the smell and cleaning it up, but I would greatly appreciate any tips or suggestions that may save me some time.

I have three brews in fermentors right now, two in secondary and today's brew in primary. I'm out of carboys, so I'll be trying to get the kegerator on-line as soon as possible.

Thanks again for all the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2012, 06:26 AM   #22
60sd
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

duplicate post

Old 08-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #23
wubears71

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Cool. The dead smell is probably comi g from the heat being exchanged causing the crap that has accumulated around the compressor to stink. Get in there and give its good cleaning. There may also be a dead mouse up in there.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #24
nasty_rabbit
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 61 Posts

+ 1 on the dead mouse especially if the fridge was stored in a garage. As for the harbor freight regulators, I have a 20 pounder hooked to the kegerator with a good 2 gauge regulator but got a HF cheapo for my 5 pound back up. I had to change out the tank fitting as they are argon/ CC2 regulators and are set up for argon. The replacement fitting comes with the regulator. Also, the low pressure gauge from HF is a flow gauge, that needs swapped for a 0 to 60 psi gauge. You may be able to find that at a pool supply store. Multiple regulators are nice but not necessary if serving similar styles of beer but variety is nice. I used a manifold up until I keged water for soda, it carbs and serves at 30 psi so I had to alter the pressures.
Hook up the 20 and buy a 5 when you can. Buy or build a manifold for now and save up for a regulator bank in the future.
Brew often because it seems that kegs empty faster than bottles ( I think it's because I don't count pints but empty bottles stare back at me ).

Old 08-06-2012, 01:32 AM   #25
dillypo
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

I might be blind but I keep seeing people saying to use 10' (or 6') of hose minimum from the keg to the tap and I've never seen a reason given for that. What is the reason and where do I buy more tubing (can I just buy vinyl tubing from lowe's?)?

Old 08-06-2012, 01:49 AM   #26
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillypo
I might be blind but I keep seeing people saying to use 10' (or 6') of hose minimum from the keg to the tap and I've never seen a reason given for that. What is the reason and where do I buy more tubing (can I just buy vinyl tubing from lowe's?)?
This should help. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f84/beer-line-length-pressure-calculator-35369/ I would use actual beer line. LHBS if you can. After that pick an online brew shop.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

dillypo Likes This 
Old 08-06-2012, 02:05 AM   #27
nickmv
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A guy above mentioned that 5lb tanks run $100 new. I'm not sure where he's shopping, but I got a brand new 10lb tank for 82 shipped ($68 + shipping).

Anyways, if you do downsize, check out bvrgelements.com. They've got really good tank prices.

Primary(SS Brew Bucket):
Secondary:
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Burton IPA
ON TAP: Belgian Wit
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA

Old 08-06-2012, 02:09 AM   #28
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmv
A guy above mentioned that 5lb tanks run $100 new. I'm not sure where he's shopping, but I got a brand new 10lb tank for 82 shipped ($68 + shipping).

Anyways, if you do downsize, check out bvrgelements.com. They've got really good tank prices.
I think I gave $98 for my 5lb tank. It's a lease. I don't have to worry about hydro certifications. It's a no questions asked swap.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 08-06-2012, 02:15 AM   #29
nickmv
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin View Post
I think I gave $98 for my 5lb tank. It's a lease. I don't have to worry about hydro certifications. It's a no questions asked swap.
Lease? Hydro certifications? What's all that for, I'm curious?

I just bought a 10lb tank and I take it to the paintball store when it's empty. 20 bucks a fill and I'm out the door and back in business.

Primary(SS Brew Bucket):
Secondary:
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Burton IPA
ON TAP: Belgian Wit
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA

Old 08-06-2012, 02:28 AM   #30
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmv

Lease? Hydro certifications? What's all that for, I'm curious?

I just bought a 10lb tank and I take it to the paintball store when it's empty. 20 bucks a fill and I'm out the door and back in business.
Tanks are supposed to be visually inspected yearly and Hydrostatic tested every five I think. If its out of date it isn't supposed to be filled. I don't know if your paintball shop cares.

Quick Reply