Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My First Brew Stand - an open exchange of thoughts and ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
ABrother
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default My First Brew Stand - an open exchange of thoughts and ideas

I have been brewing about 20 or 25 years and have always dreamed of building a brew stand/system. Well I'm not getting any younger and I'm tired of horsing kegs full of hot liquids around to try to do an occasional all grain. I figured I'd share pictures and ideas as this project goes along and tap into the experience and expertise available in this forum.

So here goes:

I've settled on a single tier HERMS system. I'm hoping to start simple with manual heat control, hoses and a single pump and add to it as time and finances allow. This way I hope I can start brewing some all grain batches on it pretty quickly.

First thing of course is a bench

which a good friend who I introduced to home brewing is helping me

That's kinda where I'm at. A lot of thinking and a little doing. So let the flow of thoughts and ideas begin.

Happy Brewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2014, 06:10 PM   #2
jmcquesten
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts

Looks pretty good so far. Seems like you have everything figured out with exception of maybe a pump mount. Maybe add some wheels?

Old 06-24-2014, 06:27 PM   #3
ABrother
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Yea, we got some scrap expanded metal to use for a shelf. I didn't think mounting the pump on or around that would be to big of a deal. I have no idea how they mount so I'll wait and see once I get it ordered and in. I'm planning to use a Chugger pump. Since I've never used a pump it might be good to play with it to see what way primes the best. I was looking at the plastic inline head mainly for price but I'd like to get the SS center inlet if I can convince myself I can operate this with one pump. Thoughts?

Definitely got casters in the plan, I'm just to lazy to draw those and the shelf up.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #4
eric19312
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You are 6 months ahead of me on similar project. I'm still thinking mine through and will be very interested to see how the all manual HERMs works out.

A couple questions...

First, if it is going to be HERMs do you need the burner under the MLT? Won't you be circulating the mash liquor through the coil in the HLT?

Second, I guess you are planning to batch sparge. I only batch sparge now but have been thinking a proper stand should be built with fly sparge in mind. Don't know why I think that maybe spending too much time in here...

Good luck, looking forward to watching your progress.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:35 PM   #5
ABrother
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Yes, I am only planning to use burners under the HLT and brew kettle. I'll heat the strike water in the BK to begin and the HERMS water (not sure what the right term is there) in the HLT. Pump into the MLT from the BK then start the recirculation until temps stabilize at my strike temp then I'll dough in, heat back using re circulation and start the timer. Using the BK for strike water seems like it keeps the HLT volume up and at temp. If you had a burner you could hear your strike water there and maintain after dough in with the HERMS. I only have the burner ring planned at the MLT location cause it looks cool, I'm not planning to install a burner there.

I am planning at least initially to batch sparge. How I've always done it manually but I may expand down the road so I can fly sparge by adding a second pump as finances permit. Initially I'd much rather tackle automating the mash temp control.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:28 AM   #6
eric19312
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I planned all my steps and the only step that needs a second pump is fly sparse. I was thinking might try one of those little plastic pumps fops argue water and use my chugged everywhere else.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Old 06-26-2014, 03:01 AM   #7
ABrother
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric19312 View Post
I planned all my steps and the only step that needs a second pump is fly sparse. I was thinking might try one of those little plastic pumps fops argue water and use my chugged everywhere else.

My process seems similar. The only thing I need a second pump for would be to fly sparge. What pump are you planning to use?

Old 06-26-2014, 03:09 AM   #8
ABrother
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

A little more progress tonight.

I'll be installing burners before you know it. I was planning to use BG-10 high pressure burners because it's what I'm familiar with. I'd really rather use a low pressure burner with enough BTUs to heat the large volumes in around 30 minutes. The BG-14 seems a little to big but I'm not sure if the BG-12 is big enough and I'm not sure if either work on low pressure with the right orifices.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Old 07-03-2014, 01:31 AM   #9
Reaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Food for thought...If you read other threads on here, people have mentioned that you will need some kind of venting under you kettles so the heat and combustion can escape from the burner ring. Take a look for some if those posts. If you have flat kettles, they will sit against your ring from the looks of it. No way for the fire/heat to spread out from there without going down under the ring and out from there.

Women are like yeast... You gotta keep them at the right temperature if you want to get anything out of them!

Old 07-03-2014, 02:26 AM   #10
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 616 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
you will need some kind of venting under you kettles so the heat and combustion can escape from the burner ring.
+1. you could cut some piece (like semi-circles) out of the tops of the rings/wind-guards.

if the pot makes a perfect seal over the rings, flames won't travel up to the pot. in fact without upper ventilation, the O2 in that trapped space will be quickly consumer and the burner might not burn at all (or at least very inefficiently).

Drinking: citra saison
Fermenting: a hop-bursted APA w/ Conan, a citra farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend.
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.

Quick Reply