Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My ferm chamber build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 04:19 AM   #1
gmcapone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default My ferm chamber build

I'm currently using a chest freezer as my fermentation chamber, but I plan on converting it to a kegerator soon so I'm making my own ferm chamber to replace it. It's going to be big enough to fit 2 carboys in pretty snug. The outside dimensions are 48 x 26 x 40.

I based my design off of Hoppopotomus' so thank you for sharing your design and hopefully mine will aid someone as well. Instead of the top coming off though, I'm going to be making doors on the side so I won't have to hurt my back picking up carboys and potentially dropping them.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hopp...-lager-301274/

This is the start of the bottom frame.

Some plywood will be placed on top of the frame to serve as the floor, so I'm layering some more 2x4s and creating a cross beam to assure that the floor will be level and sturdy enough to hold the weight.

Here's the floor attached to the frame. I'm using 1/2" plywood for the top and bottom surfaces.

The side frame is attached now and I am starting to layer the insulation on the floor. I decided to do this now because I will be creating a cross beam on the side frame that will be on top of the mini fridge and keep it in place. In order to know for sure where this beam will be placed I will need to create the floor that the fridge will sit on.

The insulation is down. I used clear power grab all purpose adhesive to glue them in place and laid some weight on it for 24 hrs.

Here I'm estimating the height that the cross beam will need to be. I will be using a plastic lining as a surface above the insulation, so I'm not actually putting the cross beam on yet.

Like Hoppopotomus I removed the feet to keep the fridge flush with the floor. Unfortunately the feet for this fridge was a metal strip that anchored the compressor, so it took some work to get it off. This is the mini fridge I'm using.

Here, I'm getting the top frame going. The side frame is attached to the side of the bottom frame, and the top frame rests on top of the side frame.

The top siding is on and I'm done for today. I'll post more soon.

Primary 1: Doppelbock
Primary 2: Dubbel (Demaciale)
Bottled/Kegged:Storm Giant IPA, Bananas Foster Ale, Storm Giant IPA, Black IPA (Head Hop IPA), Hefeweizen, Chipotle Ale (Juan More Cerveza)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 06:50 AM   #2
Carlscan26
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Nice work - it looks like it will be really nice.

What are you doing to secure the compressor?

Old 01-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
gmcapone
Recipes 

I've been trying to come up with an idea for that myself. I'm considering just putting a mesh screen over the place that houses it and just letting it rest on the floor. I may also try to anchor it into the plastic sheet that will serve as the floor, but not sure how much that will make a difference.

Bottled/Kegged:Storm Giant IPA, Bananas Foster Ale, Storm Giant IPA, Black IPA (Head Hop IPA), Hefeweizen, Chipotle Ale (Juan More Cerveza)

Old 01-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Cut out some of the foam insulation where the compressor is and bolt it under the bottom lip of the fridge, spanning under the compressor. Then bolt/screw the compressor down to the wood.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
Carlscan26
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco
Cut out some of the foam insulation where the compressor is and bolt it under the bottom lip of the fridge, spanning under the compressor. Then bolt/screw the compressor down to the wood.
Or just put the original bracket back on and cut the insulation to fit.

Definitely do not turn it on until the compressor is secured.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlscan26 View Post

Yeah... duh! What he said! lol
Old 01-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
gmcapone
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlscan26 View Post

Thanks for the idea. I think I'll do that.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:16 AM   #8
gmcapone
Recipes 

Glued the insulation to the top in the same manner as I did to the bottom and added the side panel that the fridge will not be on. The side frame is 1/4 " plywood.

Couldn't do much else today but wait for the glue to dry. I hate the waiting game.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #9
gmcapone
Recipes 

ok, haven't been able to work on it in a while since I started my new job, but I got a good amount done today.

I put the fridge in place and the mounting cross beam to keep it secure. I also installed a white plastic lining on the floor. It will be installed on all the sides soon.

I also used some silicone sealant for all of the cracks and corners. It should dry clear.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #10
gmcapone
Recipes 

Well it's fully assembled now and I'll post pics soon but I hit a snag. The compressor is generating too much heat and the walls of the fridge are acting as a conductor and transferring the heat to the inside of the chamber. So the temp won't drop inside. I thought of pushing the fridge outside so the sides aren't inside the chamber at all but I would need to make a support for the fridge on the outside of the chamber and the whole thing would not be aesthetically pleasing. Only other things I thought of would require a lot more work. Anyone got any ideas for a possible solution?

Quick Reply