Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Electric Home Brewery Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
skarude
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My Electric Home Brewery Build

Hello All,
I just recently joined this site and I wanted to share my craiglist purchase and get everyones thoughts on my plans. I have not brewed in a few years so I am almost starting from scratch. I didn't have a kettle large enough for full boils etc. So I recently started looking for options to build an all electric brewery in my basement.

Last week I scored 3 old above ground pool filters that I think are going to a great job.

This is a picture of these pots with all the pool equipment still attached.

After I stripped them down they are starting to look ok. Still need alot of TLC.

The holes in these seem to be the perfect size for hot water heater elements and i have ordered some SS nuts and o-rings to test that out shortly. I am not sure if I should just use 2 elements in the HLT and BK or try to use the second hole for something else. I tried to find some examples of people using 2 240v elements but haven't stumbled upon it yet so I am not sure how I would control that just yet. Anyhow I would love to get some thoughts on these.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Looks like a good solid start on an electric brewery. What is the volume of the filter housings?

Old 02-05-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 967 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If I had to take a guess, they look like they're about 14" diameter by 26" high (judging by the bike wheels) ~17 gallons. Sounds about right to me for 10 gallon batches.

The big decision now is HERMS or RIMS on the mash tun. Since you're not direct firing, I would suggest bottom drains on all 3 vessels.

Put a sight glass on the HLT and boil kettle.

There are a lot more folks on here familiar with electric but I know enough to ask how much of your electrical service do you have to spare? Running dual elements on the HLT will be fast, but make sure you have amperage to support it.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
TommyBoy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That vessel with the openings on the top half would be great for the HLT HERMS coil connections.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:48 PM   #5
skarude
Recipes 

I have not been able to confirm the exact volume of these but I think Bobby is close. I filled the one with the holes up high all the way up to the first hole and it held 10 gallons so I think to the top is going to be slightly less than 20 gallons.

I have been trying to figure out the best way to get these making beer ASAP so I was planning to use my old cooler setup to mash in for now. This will probably give me time to decide between HERMS or RIMS. Trying not to let the spending snowball too quickly so swmbo stays happy, but I already spent $110 at Bargain Fittings.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:30 PM   #6
ClaudiusB
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Monster Mash is using pool filters too.
Here is his well done system.
You can tell he is a perfectionist.

More pics

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Old 02-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
skarude
Recipes 

I have seen Monster Mashes System and drooled over it in the past. Actually his system is what inspired me to search craigslist for pool filters.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #8
skarude
Recipes 

I got some parts at the end of last week and wanted to share.

I added 2 2000w Elements to one of the tanks for a water test.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #9
skarude
Recipes 

looking closely you can see this looks like it was made for 2 elements to bolt in.

I am really not sure what elemement configuration I want to use. It is looking like 2 2000w 120v elements in the HLT and 2 4500w 240v elements in the boil kettle. I would prefer to use 2 3000w elements in the BK so I can pull a 30 amp outlet to my brewing location rather than a 50 amp, but I cannot seem to find 3000w ULD elements. I have also considered a single element but I am not sure what the cleanest way to close the second hole would be.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:57 PM   #10
missing link
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You can close the second hole in the boil kettle by screwing in a plug. Not much concern over it harboring icky stuff since it all gets boiled anyway.

Or add a site glass or a thermometer by bushing it down to 1/2"

Linc

Tap#1 = Beer
Tap#2 = Beer

THey change to often to keep up with the Sig.

Quick Reply