My electric biab build.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpl-america

Reaction score
Got my 20 gallon pot, parts for my control box. Heating element, and weldless housing.

Still waiting on hole punch, and need to order new biab bag.

Only one problem I have yet to address. My bayou steam basket doesn't have the customary lip the smaller sizes do. So, I need to find a different way to keep the basket of the element. Any suggestions?
So far my only thoughts are bolts to over hang the pot. Feet maybe?

I will post some shiny parts photos when I get some time.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Home Brew mobile app

Any idea how many it would take to hold up a 30# + gain bill?

I only see false bottoms and hop spiders on their site. If you are talking about the false bottom, I don't think they are tall enough to protect a heating element. But I did think of side bolts like how a hop spider is suspended.

But side bolts to support that much weight? I'd be worried about pots flexing and being damaged. Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but why not just do some bolts as legs with decent washers?

I might do both in conjunction. For added safety. I don't want to damage the bottom of the pot either.

Here is the pot, basket, and control panel parts. I'm going analog.

1393415839497.jpg

1393415860491.jpg

1393415878332.jpg

I put 3 bolts through bottom holes in my basket to support it above the element. I use 2 nuts on each bolt, one below the basket and one above with the bolt head down as the thread doesn't go all the way to the bolt head. Three 1/2" bolts easily support a large grain bill because the water displaces most of the weight. Can probably support more grain than the basket can hold.

Cool, thanks. I will definitely make a trip to the hardware store soon.

Back