New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My eHERMS (mostly) Kal Clone Home Brewery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 06:23 AM   #1
MrSaLTy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default My eHERMS (mostly) Kal Clone Home Brewery

So I have been brewing since 2006 when I first joined here and have been thinking/planing to move to a better system for years. (and saving) I had first planned on going with a Brutus system until electric systems started to become more popular a few years ago and decided electric was the way to go for me. This would allow me to brew in the house which appealed to me a lot seeing as I never could really brew in the winter months.

My new brewery will be a dedicated room I will build in my basement with a (mostly) clone of Kal's rig. I will try to document things as I move along. I have been already working at this for a few months. It took me almost 2 months to source and buy all the control panel parts I wanted. I am currently getting all the kettles and hardware for the build. I am still in the early stages of planning the brew space in the basement which I haven't done much yet.

You can also follow my build more in depth and with more pictures on my blog at:

http://rottensebrewery.blogspot.com/

Also more info on how I built the LED Logo (see below) is here:

http://rottensebrewery.blogspot.com/2013/06/led-logo.html

Ok enough yakin here are pictures.

All the control panel parts

Power Cable parts and finished cable.

Temperature probe parts and finished probes Probe kits from Kal

Control panel is std 16x16x8
Holes cut for SSRs yeah not that straight but is doesn't matter because heatsink covers it.

Connection holes

Laying out components

3/8" holes drilled for the Greenlee 2" conduit knockout punch, the punch and the cutout bits and finished holes.

Ready for primer

I decided to do a little side project and do a LED edge lit version of Kal's electric brewery logo to go on the front of the panel. took way to long to do but it turned out sweet. It is hard to get good picture of it because of the light and it really looks better in real life. The panel is not painted yet (doing that now) so it will look a bit different when its done.

Again you can see how I built the logo here on my blog.
http://rottensebrewery.blogspot.com/2013/06/led-logo.html

I am in the process of painting the panel now. More pics later when that's done and as I progress. Much thanks to all of you for everything on this wonderful site. Without all of you, I would not be doing this. More to come!

SECONDARY#1: Air
SECONDARY#2: Air
On Tap: Air
Keg Conditioning: Air
Bottle stock:
Next Up: dunno yet
--------------------
My Homebrew Stirplate
My eHERMS and home brewery build

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
MrSaLTy

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I am going to use some Stilldragon element guard kits for the 5500w heating elements. Got the kits and some 2" ferrules. I got a couple 90 degree cable glands I'm going to try to use for these instead of the ones that come with it because I think space will be tight. Here are a couple pics of the guard kits and ferrules.

Got in some other hardware too, will post more pics later. Painting the control panel now which is a PITA. I'm going to try to experiment with using some water slide decals for the labeling on it and see how that goes. If it doesn't work out ill fall back to using the plastic tags.

Bottle stock:
--------------------
My Homebrew Stirplate

Old 07-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
NewBrewB

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 10

The backlit design is dope. Im sure there are more pictures on your other site but one pic of the back here would be cool, (or maybe one process picture with that component half-done?)

Old 07-15-2013, 06:40 AM   #4
MrSaLTy

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Ok a few more pics of the logo being built. It is powered by a 12v 'wall wart' power supply from an old linksys cable router. The power supply will be inside my control panel.

Bottle stock:
--------------------
My Homebrew Stirplate

Old 07-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
MrSaLTy

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I got in most of the stainless hardware and the kettles and the HERMS coil. I got the coil from Stainless Brewing. It is 50 foot of 1/2" stainless tube coiled at 14" diameter with 2 90 degree bends and was $96. He has many options on sizes though. Really a great deal and would recommend them to everyone. Now I just have to finish the stupid painting and get this stuff together.

Bottle stock:
--------------------
My Homebrew Stirplate

Old 07-22-2013, 04:05 AM   #6
sasky7777
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I like the LED backlit logo. I have been kicking a similar idea around myself. Forgive my ignorance, but my thoughts were to add another converter and doorbell set-up like Kal uses for the volt and amp meters and then run 12V LEDs off that. Is this crazy?

Old 07-22-2013, 05:40 AM   #7
MrSaLTy

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasky7777 View Post
I like the LED backlit logo. I have been kicking a similar idea around myself. Forgive my ignorance, but my thoughts were to add another converter and doorbell set-up like Kal uses for the volt and amp meters and then run 12V LEDs off that. Is this crazy?
You can do that if you want to. Anything that can supply 12v DC will work. I just used a old wall wart power supply from a linksys router that was 12v 500ma (more than enough for what I need). It was free cuz I had it but it also may be cheaper to buy one then the transformer and PS setup you are talking about. You can get one for like 7 bux on amazon.

You may even have a few laying around the house from and old router or phone charger. If you click this image and look at the full size pic you can see the writing on is saying its 12v .5A (500ma) and it tells you the polarity on the post. You can then note which side is positive and which is negative and use a continuity tester to see which wire is which. The just cut off the connector and wire it straight up.

But adding another transformer and PS should work fine if you are more comfortable doing that.
Bottle stock:
--------------------
My Homebrew Stirplate

Old 07-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #8
sasky7777
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Ok that makes sense, stupid question though. How do you power the cord. In my house I plug it into a receptacle do you just wire a standard 120v receptacle into the inside of your panel to keep it hidden away. Stupid question I guess but something I have always wondered. I'll stop hijacking your thread now.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
MrSaLTy

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasky7777 View Post
Ok that makes sense, stupid question though. How do you power the cord. In my house I plug it into a receptacle do you just wire a standard 120v receptacle into the inside of your panel to keep it hidden away. Stupid question I guess but something I have always wondered. I'll stop hijacking your thread now.
Not a problem. There are a couple ways to do it. My panel will (its not done yet) have both 120 and 240. It is supplied by a 4 wire dryer cord with 2 hots, a neutral and a ground. You can use the neutral and one of the hots for 120v which is what I will do. This way I will power the PIDs, pumps etc off of a 120v bus or terminal bar. Now if you use DIN mount components and have DIN rail they make DIN mount receptacles that you can wire to the 120v and neutral buses. You could also just wire in a regular receptacle if you wanted. I am just going to tie wrap the wall wart down to the backplane and then use some spade terminals on the wires to connect to the spades on the power supply and then cover them with heatshrink tube. The spade terminals fit perfectly on them. I'll post a picture when I actually get to that part.
Bottle stock:
--------------------
My Homebrew Stirplate

Old 08-01-2013, 05:52 AM   #10
MrSaLTy

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Didn't get much done over the weekend as I had an old friend in town and we mostly just spent time *drinking* beer. I got my kettles back from being welded. I had a 2" ferrule and a 1/2" half coupler welded to the BK and a 2" ferrule welded to the HLT. The welding was done by fellow HBTer Colebeer78. I think he did a great job, I'm happy with the results and he was only about 15 min from my house in Chicago south burbs. Look him up if you are in the area and need welding. Here are a few pics. The first two are how I got them and the rest are what they looked like after about 10 min with some Bar keepers friend. Last pic is the BK (half coupler is around the back). Now to start hooking up the elements.

Bottle stock:
--------------------
My Homebrew Stirplate

Quick Reply