Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My EB Build thread - it's going to take some work!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2012, 01:01 AM   #31
cscade
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Had the whole day today to work on the panel, got a lot done! Considering I had zero metal working experience before this project, there have been a lot of surprises. For the most part, everything I thought would be easy has been hard, and everything I thought would be hard has been extremely simple.

For instance, I assumed the step bit and hole-saw holes would be cake, but they were very fiddly to do right. I spent most of my time setting up for holes rather than drilling them. In contrast, I thought the freehand holes (square and rectangular openings) would be very hard, and they were cake. I mean, a breeze. I had psyched myself all up that the jigsaw work was going to be hard and it wasn't at all.

A few random bits of wisdom I picked up today the hard way;

- Don't misinterpret the speed chart on your drill press... I was running my step bit at ~1k rpm, when I should have been at 400. 400 works much better!
- People say use plenty of cutting oil. What they mean is, use cutting oil multiple times per hole.
- Solid clamping is key. It was very hard to properly secure the work for each hole, so I ended up with a lot of "wood sandwiches", keeping everything in place. They don't show in the pictures, but the parts being drilled are nearly always backed by chunks of 2x4.

Drilling the clearance hole for the electric element in one of the element boxes. This picture is here mainly so that everyone who has proper drill press clamps can marvel at my ingenutiy in the face of having the wrong clamps

It was impossible to layout the 1/16 DIN and meter openings with pencil or marker - the margin for error is just too small. So I dropped tape on the surface, did my layout on it, and then razor knifed the layout at the exact locations of the desired cut, and removed the tape where the cutout should be. This made for very easy to follow contrast while running the jigsaw.

Fully laid out panel, ready for cutting.

The first meter in place! I was paranoid, so I undercut. If you do the same thing and need to enlarge the opening - don't be scared - use the jigsaw to open it up. Just follow the edge and carefully angle the blade to open the cut rather than work at it with a file. I found the file ineffective for all but the smallest errors. The meters are all snug - you can't get a sheet of paper into the opening next to the device. Waterjet cutters, eat your heart out

An in-process shot of the 22mm holes. This took hours - much longer than the square/rectangular openings.

The cut front panel.

Components all test fit. The extra blue mark is because I modified Kal's panel layout.

Top of panel ground and sanded.

Bottom layout for receptacles.

Bottom holes all milled.

And I'll leave you with a "Kal Style" shot, in respect for the man

Seeker Brewing Co.
est. 2008
Build Thread - Blog

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #32
cscade

Recipes 

Moving right along!

Drilled & tapped the backplane, got all the components mounted. Look at that pile of poor neglected nuts!

Getting ready to drill the mouting holes for the power receptacles, showing cutting oil.

Tapping mounting holes as I go.

Primer coat on assembled panel (Rust-Oleum self-etching primer). The entire panel was sanded with 220 grit before priming, to rough up the original paint.

Top shot, waiting for a heatsink!

Bottom shot, receptacles installed. XLR jacks not mounted yet, waiting on the appropriate bit to come from amazon for the #4 tap.

Front. All assembled! I'm leaving off the labels until the paint has another 24 hours to cure. It's still outgassing.

And a final beauty shot. The paint color I chose is Rust-Oleum hammered "dark bronze". There's very little bronze in it, I think it looks awesome. The paint can decided to only work upside-down about 2 minutes into the paint job. That was fun!

Seeker Brewing Co.
est. 2008
Build Thread - Blog

Old 04-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #33
BeerguyNC61
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 10

awesome job!!

Old 04-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #34
cscade

Recipes 

Thanks! I'm loving the fun of doing all this myself. It's really enjoyable to do things I have not done before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerguyNC61 View Post
awesome job!!

Seeker Brewing Co.
est. 2008
Build Thread - Blog

Old 04-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #35
FirstStateBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Damn!

Old 04-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #36
cyberbackpacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Do you have plans to paint the walls of your brew space?

-Kevin
cyberbackpacker

Trinke Das Bier Das Du Gebraut Hast

Old 04-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #37
cscade

Recipes 

I don't think so. Originally I had planned to frame out the walls, and put up white "dairy panel". However, once the concrete was in and the budget started to come more into focus I realized I had to make some cuts.

So, I adopted a "if I can't take it with me, it has to be cheap" bottom line, and put all the money into things I can transport away whenever I move. I washed the walls down and they are actually a nice glazed tile, they just had a bunch of crap on them.

If I paint, it will bubble and look like crap after a few years, and these old walls were not designed to be sealed anyhow ... especially not on the inside surface only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbackpacker View Post
Do you have plans to paint the walls of your brew space?

Seeker Brewing Co.
est. 2008
Build Thread - Blog

Old 04-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #38
cscade

Recipes 

I've spent the past few available brewery-time slots working on wiring. It certainly takes a minute to get the hang of planning the wire lengths, and it took me a little while to get the differences between my layout and Kal's straight so I wasn't running wires to the wrong relays!

I now have all the high and low voltage wiring complete, with the exception of the SSR-related wire, as the heatsink has not yet arrived. The great news is, I should have all the rest of the major components tomorrow, including the kettles!

I'm still going back and forth about the anodes in the kettles. I bought 2 of them, but I just can't decide if I want to use them or not. I know I want zero corrosion, but I also want fewer holes in the kettles and I'm (perhaps irrationally) concerned about the presence of the anodes in contact with the brewing process.

Bottom all labeled up, with XLR jacks mounted. It was surprisingly easy to tap for those tiny screws.

Front with tags on. My brewery tag doesn't get applied until everything in the panel is done.

Guts!

Back of the door. The omega timer was definitely the most unpleasant item to wire. That upside-down socket sucks.

And an overall. Cheers!

Seeker Brewing Co.
est. 2008
Build Thread - Blog

Old 05-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #39
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Awesome wiring job inside of that panel. I can only hope to keep mine looking somewhat in control compared to that. I really like the panel color as well.

Primaries: Air
Secondaries: Lakefront India Brown Ale

On Tap 1: Rootbeer, On Tap 2: NB White ouse Honey Ale, On Tap 3: Nitrogen, On Tap 4: Air, On Tap 5: Air
On Deck: DIPA, Imp Stout, Porter, Wheat, Black IPA

"No sense having empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. " - Me

Old 05-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #40
StainlessBrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscade View Post
Moving right along!

Drilled & tapped the backplane, got all the components mounted. Look at that pile of poor neglected nuts!

Getting ready to drill the mouting holes for the power receptacles, showing cutting oil.

Tapping mounting holes as I go.

Primer coat on assembled panel (Rust-Oleum self-etching primer). The entire panel was sanded with 220 grit before priming, to rough up the original paint.

Top shot, waiting for a heatsink!

Bottom shot, receptacles installed. XLR jacks not mounted yet, waiting on the appropriate bit to come from amazon for the #4 tap.

Front. All assembled! I'm leaving off the labels until the paint has another 24 hours to cure. It's still outgassing.

And a final beauty shot. The paint color I chose is Rust-Oleum hammered "dark bronze". There's very little bronze in it, I think it looks awesome. The paint can decided to only work upside-down about 2 minutes into the paint job. That was fun!
Looking nice! I like the beer glass too!

Quick Reply