My EB Build thread - it's going to take some work!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Cscade,
Looking good. Thanks for the 'tour'. My brew space is evolving. Going to be brewing batch #5 on my ElectricBrewery tomorrow afternoon. Looks REALLY nice man. I like the use of all the small storage containers and all those shelves too! Dang... how I would love to have a basement!

Did the "grain milling being close to the fermentation area" issue get discussed already?

Did the "grain milling being close to the fermentation area" issue get discussed already?

Don't think so here...
I've heard some points on this but now I forget what they are. How close is too close? I plan to build a milling station next year some time and don't want to screw anything up.

I've read on here that grain dust contains goodly amounts of lactobacillus so it's a good idea to ferment and transfer in areas where there is little to no grain dust.

This is true - grain dust contains lots of undesirables in terms of contamination. It's only a problem for some processes though.

In my case, I am diligent about vacuuming up all the dust created by the milling process immediately after milling so it doesn't get "kicked up" again later. Also, my entire process is closed. I pump closed into the conical bottom-up while chilling, I ferment closed, I spund if not dry hopping, and I pressure transfer to kegs and fill them by weight.

So yes, it's a design consideration. But on my process there's really no issue.

Hey Cscade,
Looking good. Thanks for the 'tour'. My brew space is evolving. Going to be brewing batch #5 on my ElectricBrewery tomorrow afternoon. Looks REALLY nice man. I like the use of all the small storage containers and all those shelves too! Dang... how I would love to have a basement!

Hey Huaco! Thanks for the kind words. Glad to hear your EB is working out well for you! I have 12 batches in on it so far, bringing me to a nice round "career" 50.

And I'm brewing again tomorrow! :mug:

Your system looks great! Well thought out and executed. Looks great, and seems very functional. Please keep us posted if you find you need to make changes/adaptions.

A new addition!

I built a control box for the outputs that control my conical temps, as well as mounted by BCS-460 permanently in a sealed box so I don't have wires and water hazards all over the place anymore.

01.jpg

These are sealed boxes from Lowes, plastic. The panel seen above has two twist-lock L5-15 sockets on the bottom, one for heat and one for cool. The panel as a whole supports 10A max as a result of the relays I chose to use. The panel has it's own 12V power supply internal, so it is capable of switching the outputs on and off even if the BCS controller is off or disconnected.

The HEAT and COOL indicators are wired in such a way that they are illuminated whenever the output sockets have power, so they serve as a "what's happening right now" process indicator, regardless of the switch position.

02.jpg

The BCS is mounted in the box at right, hard wired to my network. When either switch is set to AUTO, it sends a 5V signal to a BCS input which in turn activates/deactivates the controller process for that output (heat or cool). In other words, I can be assured that the BCS processes for cooling and heating are on when and only when I need them to be, without going to a web browser to turn them on and off.

03.jpg

Here's an overview shot of the swamp cooler with the cooling pump in it, and the conical with internal SS cooling coil. Right now there is a Dortmunder Export style lager in there, holding happily at 54F for the past two weeks while the room temp has been all over the place.

If you want to do something similar, feel free to ask questions. I don't have diagrams but I can walk you through it.

Latest posts

Back