Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My DIY stainless IC

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
El_Exorcisto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default My DIY stainless IC

So my father lucked into a spool of flexible gas line by happy accident. It's ribbed stainless with a yellow plastic wrapper, 3/8" ID, and all of .010" thick. It doesn't hold a wide bend very well since it is so thin, so I had to use copper wire to tie it to itself as I wrapped it. It's 1/2" OD, so I used some 1/2" ID vinyl for the supply line with a bard fitting and hose bib. I went short on the tubing, so the output line isn't attached yet. There are 12 wraps in the coil, making a 35' straight run. I can't wait to try it out next weekend.

I'm figuring the ribbing makes more surface area than a 50' chiller in a smaller package, and the extremely thin stainless makes it behave almost as well as copper in the conductivity department.

On Deck: Saison "Jardin d'été" (3rd Gen 3711, Wild bugs, Pale ale malt, wheat, Willamette dry hop)
Primary: Saison "Vomissure de Grenouille" (2nd Gen 3711 from dregs, Pale Ale malt, Crystals and Willamettes)
Secondary: BM45/Spontaneous Bugs Experiment (down to 1.004, and tastes awesome), contemplating what fruit to add.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
BrokenDog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Wow you just might have designed the next big thing in brewing, I'm very interested in seeing if there is a difference in cooling.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:30 AM   #3
android
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

interesting idea. please let us know how fast it cools.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 02-13-2011, 01:31 AM   #4
El_Exorcisto
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Not so much an idea, as a "necessity is the mother of invention" moment. He had 10' of copper, or about 100' of this stuff. I opted to do a little more of this than a lot less copper than needed. I'll probably do a dry run tomorrow after I get my output hose clamped. I'll just boil 5 gallons of water and see how well it works, and make sure it doesn't leak like a sieve.

On Deck: Saison "Jardin d'été" (3rd Gen 3711, Wild bugs, Pale ale malt, wheat, Willamette dry hop)
Primary: Saison "Vomissure de Grenouille" (2nd Gen 3711 from dregs, Pale Ale malt, Crystals and Willamettes)
Secondary: BM45/Spontaneous Bugs Experiment (down to 1.004, and tastes awesome), contemplating what fruit to add.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:54 AM   #5
scsi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow, nifty. I like! Can't wait to hear how well it works.

Primary: Orange Honey Wheat, Texas Bock, ESB
Secondary: Oktoberfest
On Tap: Chocolate Milk Stout, Blond Ale, Texas Bock, Blueberry Muffin, Hefeweizen, Irish Red Ale, California Common, Dr Pepper

Old 02-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
El_Exorcisto
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

It's leak free, and the water is on the stove... Another 45 minutes or so and I'll know whether the time was worth it.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
El_Exorcisto
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Holy farking kite!!! From 212 to 68 in a little over FIVE minutes!!! This thing is effing incredible!!! Manually whirlpooling and occasionally dipping the spoon deep to drag up the cold bottom water.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:25 PM   #8
scsi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

WOW!

Primary: Orange Honey Wheat, Texas Bock, ESB
Secondary: Oktoberfest
On Tap: Chocolate Milk Stout, Blond Ale, Texas Bock, Blueberry Muffin, Hefeweizen, Irish Red Ale, California Common, Dr Pepper

Old 02-13-2011, 10:26 PM   #9
MBasile
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I believe that is similar to what MoreBeer calls their "efficient chiller." They use kind of twisted copper to increase surface area and create turbulence in the water flowing through.

Up next: beer
Fermenting: beer
Conditioning: and more beer

Total gallons in 2012: 10

Old 02-13-2011, 10:43 PM   #10
El_Exorcisto
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I have about $26 into it including a new pair of pliers for twisting the copper ties. That's plate chiller speed, without all the pumping insanity... I had NO idea it would work this well.

It looks like it's very similar to morebeer's product, except I'm sure mine has thinner walls. They probably permit equal flow, and I'm pretty sure my kitchen sink was putting all of it's flow through the chiller so it's a dead heat there, too. I can't wait to brew up something hoppy and delicious to see what I've been missing by no-chilling.

Quick Reply