Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My corny spunding valve build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2012, 05:20 AM   #21
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3220 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthedot
Those of you fermenting under pressure in a corny: what size batches are you doing?
With fermcap you can ferment 5 gal in a corny, with a net just shy of 5 gal after losses. Pressure helps reduce krausen also, but not at well as fermcap. I don't use fermcap though, and usually brew 12 gal batches and either split it between three 5 gal kegs (either corny or sankey) or between two 1/4 bbl kegs (7.5 gal). I use the same volumes regardless of whether I'm fermenting under pressure or not.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 05:37 AM   #22
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Pressurized fermentation isn't documented other than through homebrewers. Does anyone know of a published "trial"?

Old 04-27-2012, 05:57 AM   #23
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3220 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthekeg
Pressurized fermentation isn't documented other than through homebrewers. Does anyone know of a published "trial"?
Pressurized fermentation is probably more common among microbreweries than it is among homebrewers. Many of them use it to at least partially carbonate their beer. I seem to recall reading somewhere about rogue using pressurized fermentation as a tool to get the clean maibock flavors with a top fermenting yeast and ale temps for their dead guy ale. A German brewing scientist by the name of Dr Wellhoener did quite a bit of research in the 50's, and several others have also done studies since then. Many of the changes in levels of fermentation byproducts seem to be strain dependent, which has caused conflicting reports as to the exact effects of pressurized fermentation.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash
j_ettar Likes This 
Old 04-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #24
lud
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

5 in a 10.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #25
High_Noonan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My valve arrived last night, now I am making a list (and checking it twice) of the other pieces to get this project finished up.
I'd like to source my gauge locally from one of the big boxes or even my Mom & Pop Hardware.
Is there anything special I should ask for in this gauge?
Just a 30psi pressure gauge?

Tap 1: House Porter
Tap 2: StarSan
Tap 3: StarSan
Tap 4: StarSan
Primary: Lakeside Lager
Primary: 10-day Mild Ale
Aging/Carbing: The Brewer
On deck: ?

Old 05-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #26
Face Eater
I brew beer....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 30 Posts

Subscribed. I think I may just have to try this out!

Old 05-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #27
lud
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

I wouldn't consider that using a spunding valve to be considered "rough duty".... a simple/inexpensive gauge should suffice. Yes...0-30psi.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #28
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I think I prefer fermenting in a sanke. The cornies are just too small, my opinion. With trub loss, etc, it's less than a full keg. There's nothing at all wrong with doing it this way, mind you. Beats the crap out of siphoning. Lot's of pluses. But I think the sanke is the way to go. You can build a similar spud valve and use a keg tapper.

Very nice valves, though guys. I'll be curious to see if you don't move on to a sanke.

Cheers.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 05-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #29
High_Noonan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonza9 View Post
I'll be curious to see if you don't move on to a sanke.
I JUST sent an email to my LHBS asking if if he could locate a quarter barrel or a larger Corny for me! I absolutely agree with you that the size is severely limiting. My last batch lost a bunch out the blow-off (still building the spud) tube. I boil with Fermcap-S, but I haven't added any post-boil. Now it seems that its use at all may be suspect, so I am questioning if I should continue to use it.
I am not going back to fermenting in glass, though, unless it is for a wicked special brew/reason. The benefits of fermenting in the keg just far out-weigh fermenting in glass, IMHO. Until you shatter one of those puppies, you really will not know what I am talking about. Potentially lethal.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #30
High_Noonan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS223 View Post
The Norgren valve has 1/4" NPT female inlet & outlets and it has two 1/8" NPT female gauge ports which can also be used for attaching additional kegs to the same spunding valve with the addition of check valves. Two socket head plugs are included with the valve to plug the gauge ports if they aren't used. The valve disassembles without tools for cleaning. The adjustment knob is like that on the current Tap-Rite regulators, pull out to adjust, push in to lock.
CS223, I finally gathered all my parts and assembled my spunding valve. I then pressurized a corny and attached the valve. I heard and felt CO2 escaping from the socket head plugs. What the heck sized Allen key do you need on these things? I'm fairly certain that my ancient set is standard, not metric, but none of them fit to drive them home. Also, did you bother to tape the threads on these plugs?

Quick Reply