New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Chest Freezer Kegerator Hidden Behind Bar Wall

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 04:03 PM   #11
wildwest450
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

How are these pics black and white? Nice build but we require color pics.

Are you going to wall mount a drip tray?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #12
WolfieBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Oh, "but 6 should be more than enough for me" are famous last words. How many kegs can fit in there? That's how many taps you actually want.

Glue down your collar with a bead of 100% silicone caulk.

You'll want to keep your eye out for a nice piece of stainless sheet to put on the wall and attach a drip tray at the bottom if you don't want to keep a towel on the floor.
Your right for sure! Every other project or hobby i get into, I end up going crazy over the top. I probably will have 10 taps before long. I definitely plan on a SS back plate and drip pan and I am going to remove the cheap weather stripping and use silicone sealant.

I have a few more questions:

1.) when adding the hinges, I just let the lid lay on the collar under its own weight. Should I have applied some pressure to make the gasket on the lid seal harder?

2.) Will the weight of six or eight kegs be too much pressure on the bottom of the freezer? Is it necessary to cut a piece of 3/4 plywood or similar to disperse the load evenly? Or am I thinking too much?

Old 11-17-2010, 12:41 AM   #13
WolfieBrew
Recipes 

I decided to scrap the aluminum tape and go the stain and seal route. I definitely wasted a good quarter roll of the tape but oh well. Stain/Poly is what I wanted to do in the first place but I spent so much time building the collar last weekend and I just wanted to be finished with the whole project. If I wouldn't have tried to cut corners, it would already be dry and assembled.

I also picked up a Ranco Digital Temperature Controller today at Grainger. I prob paid too much but it's better than waiting for one to ship. Where is the best location for the temperature probe? middle/lower/higher?

This freezer is an older Kenmore model and the lid has a wiring harness with (4) wires. I know it is definitely for the light, but the lid also has this button that can be pulled out that says "Flash Defrost - Pull to Defrost." I don't have a use for the light and my question is, does this wiring harness complete a series that is required for normal operation? I don't expect anyone to know the exact answer but I'm looking for opinions. I don't really want to extend the wiring harness if it's not necessary at all. Pics are below:

male connector top

male connector bottom

female connector

defrost button on lid

Old 11-17-2010, 02:23 AM   #14
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The defrost just raises the temperature long enough to thaw the ice. You shouldn't get any ice with your new thermostat. I wouldn't be worried about weight distribution.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:54 AM   #15
WolfieBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendavanza View Post
The defrost just raises the temperature long enough to thaw the ice. You shouldn't get any ice with your new thermostat. I wouldn't be worried about weight distribution.
So do you think I can run the unit without reconnecting the lid harness? Also, when using the new thermostat, where should I set the original
temperature dial on the freezer?

Old 11-18-2010, 01:06 AM   #16
WolfieBrew
Recipes 

Almost done!

stained and sealed the collar - the CO2 tank really looks dwarfed!

used 100% silicone bead to glue collar to freezer body and also ran all of the joints

leveled the keezer on the platform to help ensure lid seal

Tomorrow I am going to wire up the Ranco Digital Temperature Controller and, aside from installing the lines and waiting for my brew to finish, it will be ready to pour. I noticed one of the hinges is a little crooked but it opens and closes just fine.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:15 AM   #17
kmat123
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

You are eventually going to want a 20# CO2 tank if you are carbing and serving 6 beers. Other than that great build!

Empire Brewing - Bend, OR
http://empirebrewing.wordpress.com/

Fermenting: Guv'nor ESB
Kegged: Ominous Black Ale, Molotov IRA, 2011 Below Zero Barleywine, Cream Dream Stout, Amarillo IPA, Apfelwein

Old 11-18-2010, 01:18 AM   #18
HeyNoPie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Is any of the beer line going to be outside of the keezer? I doubt it would be much if so, but that's something to think about. I have a keezer in my basement going to my wall mounted taps in my kitchen above and had no idea what I was getting into. I ended up buying a Micromatic glycol chiller though I expect you could get away with less.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:35 AM   #19
WolfieBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyNoPie View Post
Is any of the beer line going to be outside of the keezer? I doubt it would be much if so, but that's something to think about. I have a keezer in my basement going to my wall mounted taps in my kitchen above and had no idea what I was getting into. I ended up buying a Micromatic glycol chiller though I expect you could get away with less.
None of the beer lines will be outside of the freezer. The shanks will go directly through the side of the collar and the faucets will be directly on the wall that the keezer collar backs up against.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:54 AM   #20
HeyNoPie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That makes it much easier then...nevermind me

Quick Reply