Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Cheap 3-Tier Gravity Setup

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
gregboyd3rd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My Cheap 3-Tier Gravity Setup

First I would like to thank everyone that contributes to this site. I have received so much help and information and I am very happy that I am finally able to contribute to hopefully give others ideas on how they can use what I have towards their setup.

I already had the 2 tiers and I just had a buddy give me an old keg he had laying around and figured why not become more efficient by adding the top pot so I can heat up that water while I am in the mash phase. Plus, I don't have a pump so I was literally heating up the sparge water in the boil pot, draining into a cooler, and transferring it up with a pitcher after I sparged. So as you can see I've put in some heavy duty J-hooks and chain and there it hangs. I like that it's not permanent just in case it's in the way or I need to make sure I got out all the water.

It's a work in progress still because I need to attach the burner to the bottom of the upper keg via that metal you hang garage door motors with, add the 1/4 turn drain valve, plumb in the propane and do a few other things BUT I figured I would show everyone here how my 3-tiered setup looks on the cheap.

Let me know your thoughts or suggestions!

img_20121009_204619.jpg   img_20121009_204626.jpg   img_20121009_204642.jpg  

Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
heckels
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 40 Posts

I'd be a little concerned about the moisture from the top keg affecting the Sheetrock. Maybe it'll be fine.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

The HLT won't evaporate much, but it will affect the drywall after a while, maybe a year??

You can probably lower it some. Has to just be barely above the highest water level your MLT will ever have.

I've actually thought about a suspension system for my BK (keggle) so I can hang it upside down and clean it more easily. It's electric, so with the cords, sight glass, etc. it makes it difficult to clean otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckels View Post
I'd be a little concerned about the moisture from the top keg affecting the Sheetrock. Maybe it'll be fine.
Keep a lid on it, should be fine.

The drops between each levels are pretty high, you don't need much more than 4" of elevation from the bottom of the each vessel to the top of the next one (when going downwards).

MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 320 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 222

How to do plan to move and/or heat water water in the HLT? You aren't planning to heft a full HLT of water up over your head to attach it are you?

Will that hardware (and the joists they are attached to) support another 80-160 lb of water (plus whatever that keg weighs?).

I'm at a loss of how this is going to work...

Old 10-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
gregboyd3rd
Recipes 

As of right now I have a laundry room close by with a utility sink that I run a potable-grade hose from to fill the keggle and so this is also how I'll fill the HLT. Now my debate is to fly or batch sparge but I'm leaning more towards fly sparging since this is the perfect setup for it.

Good idea on lowering the HLT or just using a cover (will probably do both). I did figure since I'm not bringing it to a full boil that there won't be much moisture release. I am probably not going to lower the shelf that the mash tun sits on because when I'm all done the keggle and burner slide right underneath for storage.

Each J-hook can handle 150lbs so all that weight will easily be handled by the 4 hooks and the chain is rated up to 550lbs.

I appreciate the feedback and will get some pictures uploaded once I have it finalized.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
rekoob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Maybe add a pully system so you can lower that keg to heat your water on a burner and when you want to add your strike water or start sparging you just raise it up. You wouldn't have to mount a burner to the bottom of the keg then.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 320 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregboyd3rd View Post
As of right now I have a laundry room close by with a utility sink that I run a potable-grade hose from to fill the keggle and so this is also how I'll fill the HLT.
so you are planning on strapping a burner to the bottom of the HLT? You don't want to be filling the HLT with hot water from the sink tap.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
gregboyd3rd
Recipes 

Yes, I plan on strapping a burner to the bottom of the HLT with self-tapping screws and that bendable metal you hang garage motors with. I currently don't but is there a reason why I shouldn't fill with hot water from the tap?? I understand it's coming from the water heater but our water is VERY clean and tasty where I'm at.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #10
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregboyd3rd View Post
Yes, I plan on strapping a burner to the bottom of the HLT with self-tapping screws and that bendable metal you hang garage motors with. I currently don't but is there a reason why I shouldn't fill with hot water from the tap?? I understand it's coming from the water heater but our water is VERY clean and tasty where I'm at.
Water heater water isn't the greatest for beer.

Also, I would consider lowering everything a tad. Do you really want open flame and steam that close to the ceiling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Quick Reply