My Brutus Rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooks

Reaction score
I thought I would post some pics of my Brutus rig. It's near completion with just some custom caps for the sight glasses on the keggles left to make. Thanks to all on this forum who posted their ideas. You will notice I have stolen a few for my build. I did all the work/fabrication myself, I bought the 2" sq tubing from my buddy for $89, and my SWMBO had a connection for the Keggles. Right now I am not installing any electronics, but I left the door open for that later. Enjoy.

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

I bought Wok covers for $9 from Amazon. They were really flimsy so I had to make a custom SS washer to sandwich the cover between the fittings...

Picture007.jpg

UNDERSIDE

Picture008.jpg

Can you measure the exact diameter of the wok covers?
The diameter of my keg holes are 12.25 and my 12.5" lids are too small. Apparently they fit a 12.5 inch pot but not a 12.5" inch hole.

Thanks,
JD

MikeG: I probably have under 20 hrs. in fab, assembly and paint.

dunlev1: I plan to fly sparge, going to brew this weekend so we will see.

It will probably be pretty negligable. I have set up the kegs to siphon as close to the bottom as possible. kinda like the picture.(not mine) As you can see there's a dished section in the bottom of the keg, makes it easier to siphon off of.

DSCF0156.JPG

What sort of welding rod did you use to weld brass to stainless steel?

I didn't weld brass to Stainless Steel. If your talking about the Wok covers, the Stainless elbow on top is welded to a Stainless washer/flange to provide stability to the flexible thin Aluminum material and then inserted through the top of the cover. On the inside, the brass fitting is threaded onto the male pipe part of the Stainless elbow you see on the top of the Wok cover; with another SS washer/flange between the bottom of the cover and the brass fitting.

I was at Kmart today and picked up two stainless steel mixing bowls with a 13" diameter for $7 bucks a piece.
fyi - I'm stealing the wok lid idea and replacing it with SS lids.

It will probably be pretty negligable. I have set up the kegs to siphon as close to the bottom as possible. kinda like the picture.(not mine) As you can see there's a dished section in the bottom of the keg, makes it easier to siphon off of.

DSCF0156.JPG

Is this your mash tun or boil kettle?
I kept clogging with that setup in my kettle. I run a short 90 in the kettle.

It's not my kettle. I do use that set up for boil, I plan to use hop bags to keep the clogging down. We will see, I may have to do what your doing.

I was at Kmart today and picked up two stainless steel mixing bowls with a 13" diameter for $7 bucks a piece.

There you go!! Great idea. probably be quite a bit sturdier and will not need washers to support the fittings... I might steal your idea and go Stainless!!

Great idea! I'm currently converting kegs and have been looking around for lids. This is a great idea and there is a Kmart across the street from my clinic. Stopping tomorrow.

Hoping to reopen this thread! Any chance you could provide the dimensions of that brew stand? It's one of the cleanest Brutus builds I've seen yet. Also, after using it for a yr plus, any things you'd want to leave off or add?

Cheers!

HI Hit the TWit, the dimensions are standard to the design that Lonnie Mac used in his article in BYO magazine. I planned for installing electrical ect... later but decided I liked it the way I built it. I wouldn't change anything, maybe leave off the pilot light option on the two burners... I don't use them much....I did upgrade my march pumps to a different head design since I was having trouble with keeping prime.. the new heads solved that problem.. 30 gallons of Oktoberfest lagering right now and getting ready for Weiss bier..

Back