Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My brewery... the baby stages

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2006, 05:02 AM   #1
Grimsawyer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default My brewery... the baby stages

HAIL ALL!! A few months ago I purchased a Vollrath 17 gallon stock pot with 2 1/2 inch threaded holes in it, one with a plug and one with a 1/2 inch ball valve. I also cut the top of a 15 gallon keg out(with a DREMMEL TOOL!!!! HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! took FOREVER!!!! It was like sawing through the greatest tree in the forest... WITH A HERRING!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!). I got a Turkey fryer, just the base, mind you. So, I'm getting ready to put it to use with a weldless false bottom kit and a Nice thermometer for the vollrath stock pot, and a weldless fitting and thermometer for the keggle. To move all the liquid I have THIS PUMPon the way!!! Going to the hardware store tomorrow.... (Ace harware is a 10 min walk away........ It's dangerously close when I drive.....) I need another cajun cooker base eventually, and another keggle. As soon as I get my parts I can batch sparge!!! good enough for me for now. It will get me all grain brewing!!! WOOOOO HOOOO!!! going to get some copper tubing for an Immersion wort chiller. I want a CFC, but also want to ice bath the water coming in. I'll just use the immersoin wort chiller I build to do just that. I want to build my own CFC but THIS CFClooks pretty sweet! Not sure which way I'll go yet... Course, I do have a crazy work schedule... haha, i'll probly end up buying that one, LOL!! but TOMORROW I get my first 4 parts! pump, weldless false bottom, and the 2 thermometers!!! I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Last edited by Grimsawyer; 11-29-2006 at 07:17 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2006, 04:34 PM   #2
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sounds pretty nice, man. I can't wait to see your pics when you get it all put together. I'm absorbing ideas from every setup I see so I'll have a killer system one of these days.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:25 AM   #3
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I really need to upgrade my membership so I can post pics... Just got my weldless thermometer and weldless false bottom kit put in my keggle. I decided to put the thermometer just above and to the right of the ball valve really low in the keg so if I still want to do a 5 gallon batch the thermometer won't be 3 or 4 inches above the water line, hehehe..... oh yeah! I am so excited. Going to Lowes with my credit card to get 4 ball valves, high temp tubing, 10 hose barbs/whatever they're called with some hose clamps for each one, a propane tank and parts to make an immersion wort chiller. In months to come I will be buying another Single Burner Turkey Fryer by Bayou Classic and some kind of quick release for hoses. When I get another keg I will start working on a stand for it all. Scored a SS counter top w/ backsplash etc. Think I'll make a long cart and have that at one end for a workspace of sorts. I will some day have a HERMS system, but for now a RIMS system with a mash tun and a HLT doubling as the brew kettle Will work for me! Tonight I am doing a "dry run" with my equipment. hehe, dry run, yeah, with plenty of water... hahaha, dry run

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Old 11-27-2006, 12:32 AM   #4
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wait until you see the price of copper for a wort chiller at Lowe's (or anywhere else)! It'll give you second thoughts about making one from scratch, unless you somehow get a really good deal. But, I gotta admit, shopping at the hardware store is a lot of fun!

Old 11-28-2006, 01:25 AM   #5
JoeRags
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer4breakfast
Wait until you see the price of copper for a wort chiller at Lowe's (or anywhere else)! It'll give you second thoughts about making one from scratch, unless you somehow get a really good deal. But, I gotta admit, shopping at the hardware store is a lot of fun!
You got that right.... 25 feet of 3/8 copper tube cost me over $30 at home depot a few weeks ago.

Old 11-28-2006, 05:50 AM   #6
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

20' of 1/2" ID at lowes was $63..... SCREW THAT!!! I can get a pre made immersion wort chiller for $50 that has 50' of 3/8 ID at my LHBS!!! talk about an outrage... but I did manage to run up my lowes credit card... HAHAHAH!!!! WEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! that soldering stuff together with a torch and flux is some tough stuff... If I could see someone do it first my set up would look more professional.... oh well... hehehe, that's what they make sand paper, scotch brite dremmels and files for.

Quote:

Old 11-28-2006, 06:06 AM   #7
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Say... what size drill bit should I use on my sparge arm/wort return arm in my mash tun. I have 1/2" ID copper pipe in the form of a lop sided "H". I have 1 pipe coming down from outside the tun which connects to a T which splits the wort flow in 2 directions. From those 2 directions 1 pipe each direction for 3 inches then another T. from that T back twards the inside of the keg a short section of pipe goes about 2 inches then I have a cap. Going the other way on the T 1 pipe on each side extends 8 inches then it's capped as well. I want to put one hole on the top of the manifold every 1/2" to one inch. The idea being when lowered to just above the waterline while recirculating the wort will flow very slowly so it does not disturb the grain bed, so slowly that it dosn't make much, if any, of a current. I havn't soldered this section together yet because I want to drill holes and deburr them very well before I do solder it all together. Any imput is appreciated. I do know that I want holes that wort can flow SLOWLY out of so a larger diameter I am thinking will do the trick. But what Diameter would be the best?

Quote:

Old 11-28-2006, 06:08 AM   #8
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 599 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Just remember, when sweating copper, heat the female part of the joint, not the male piece, and NOT the solder itself. Clean everything with a light bit of sanding first. If you're gonna overdo it on anything, overdo the flux, it only takes a little solder if you do it right.

And take some pics! Sounds like you're having a blast with this. Good luck!

Old 11-28-2006, 06:15 AM   #9
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thank you yuri, I do appreciate your advice. Gotta go sweat it out some more in the garage!! HHAHAHAH!!! I'm sorry, that pun had to be made! Sweat it out, hahaha! Most people don't laugh at my bad jokes, but that's alright. I crack myself up enough to make up for it!!!! On a serious note, thank you ever so kindly Yuri_Rage. I do appreciate advice given.

Quote:

Old 11-28-2006, 06:19 AM   #10
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 599 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Oh, and I used 1/8" holes in my sparge arm - seems to work pretty well.

Quick Reply