Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My brew-stand

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 12:43 AM   #51
NewBrewB
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco
I chose to go with the kit he sells for the control panel and temp probes because I could pay shipping on ALL that stuff just one time. (instead of paying shipping on 30 different orders)
I wish I had gone this route. I had it in my head that I could just buy the parts for one element and one pump, then add parts and functionality over time. What I didnt think about was that drilling holes creates metal shards so you want it all done before you mount any of the components. Then, either you fill the gaping holes with all of the right parts so the holes are closed or you expose the guts to condensation during brewing, which is no good.

Not trying to hijack but wanted to endorse buying the control panel part kit all at once.

And now you see that Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 03:49 AM   #52
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Yep. It is much better to just take the plunge and purchase the kit or the ready-built panel. I even went as far as to drill and tap locations on the heat sink and the back plate for a RIMS conversion if I so, choose. My thinking was to get all the chip-flying finished at one time so I didn't send a chip of metal into a bad place later down the road.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #53
NewBrewB

Recipes 

I really appreciate the middle photo that shows your back plate as you were starting to mount components....was hoping for some interior wiring photos.

The main thing I am trying to understand at the moment is how your doorbell transformers were wired up....since ours (I bought the same as you) dont look like the ones Kal used. Reading back and forth on p225 of the pdf isnt helping me understand.

Also, I have not purchased 30 amp fuses/holders so wondering if I missed that in Kals plans or if that is something you added.

Anyway, Im sure you took some so please upload some pictures of the "guts" when you have time. Thanks!

Old 07-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #54
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBrewB View Post
I really appreciate the middle photo that shows your back plate as you were starting to mount components....was hoping for some interior wiring photos.

The main thing I am trying to understand at the moment is how your doorbell transformers were wired up....since ours (I bought the same as you) dont look like the ones Kal used. Reading back and forth on p225 of the pdf isnt helping me understand.

Also, I have not purchased 30 amp fuses/holders so wondering if I missed that in Kals plans or if that is something you added.

Anyway, Im sure you took some so please upload some pictures of the "guts" when you have time. Thanks!
I did take some pix... Will post them up this evening. They won't do you much good though. There are a LOT of wires.

Are you planning to build a 30A "regular" control panel? I had to use the 30A fuse holders because I am running 50 AMPS. It is a "back-to-back" system menaing that I can run both elements at the same time... the fuses are there to protect the 30A components.

The very low voltage part of the build was the most difficult for me. It was confusing. In the end, Just run (2) signal wires from the transformers one from each terminal, to the power converter as shown in the plan.
A word of advice on mounting the power converters... USE ATX MOTHERBOARD STANDOFFS! They thread into holes and hold the board off the back plate. They should be made of NYLON so there is ZERO risk of grounding to the back plate.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #55
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Inside wiring. Bad picture... I have better pix on my good camera at home.

cp-wiring-bad-pic.jpg  

Old 07-15-2012, 03:48 AM   #56
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I have nearly finished my HLT/HERMS. I need to re-solder my sight glass coupling. I torqued the HELL out of it and busted the solder joint. Ooooops!

Anyway, here are a few more pix.

Also, here are what my solder joints ended up looking like. I am happy with them. (just don't torque them too much)

hlt-herms-coil-large-.jpg   solder-joint-hlt-large-.jpg  

Old 07-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #57
NewBrewB

Recipes 

I am building the "regular" control panel (30A, one element at a time) so I guess that makes sense. Hmm Maybe I should start my own thread to ask all of these questions instead if hijacking yours. Hah sorry. For this morning though, here are another round of questions because just like you, I am also doing keg conversions for my BK and HLT (w/ a 30gal plastic barrel for my MLT).

Can you please post the "better" wiring shots?

What hardware did you have to buy for the connections? I think those looks like a SS threaded couplings but how is it attached to the copper coil? You mentioned soldering but wouldnt they have to be welded? Will you remove the coil for cleaning or just use PBW through/around it? How did you choose the locations for those holes?

Old 07-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #58
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBrewB View Post
I am building the "regular" control panel (30A, one element at a time) so I guess that makes sense. Hmm Maybe I should start my own thread to ask all of these questions instead if hijacking yours. Hah sorry. For this morning though, here are another round of questions because just like you, I am also doing keg conversions for my BK and HLT (w/ a 30gal plastic barrel for my MLT).

Can you please post the "better" wiring shots?

What hardware did you have to buy for the connections? I think those looks like a SS threaded couplings but how is it attached to the copper coil? You mentioned soldering but wouldnt they have to be welded? Will you remove the coil for cleaning or just use PBW through/around it? How did you choose the locations for those holes?
I am using compression fittings. They have 1/2" NPT threads on one end and 1/2" O.D.compression on the other. As far a welding or soldering... You can solder SS. There is a huge thread stickied at the top of the DIY forum. Read it and make the "keg tool".

I placed the holes after careful consideration. I had to have my element in place as not to interfere with it. also I had to have my HERMS coil made so I knew how far apart those holes would be.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:44 AM   #59
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I made a "Mash" Paddle This evening. I had been kicking around several ideas in my head about what to use as openings in the paddle and then this hit me like a ton of bricks...

I present to you the M*A*S*H Paddle.

mash-paddle-large-.jpg  
Old 07-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #60
NewBrewB

Recipes 

Perfect!

Quick Reply