Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My brew-stand

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2012, 04:08 AM   #21
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I built the supply cords for my heating elements. This is 10/3 wire covered with a protective/decorative sheath and 3/4" heat-shrink wrap on the ends to keep the ends from migrating... The NEMA L6-30 plugs will connect into receptacles in the control panel while the other end will be connected to the 4500W ultra low watt density heating elements.

A few evenings ago, I started on building the boxes to house the elements. The Keggles will all be bonded back to the house ground.

Friday at lunch I went to the electrical supply house and picked up 30 feet of 8/4 wire to make my 50 amp main power cable. Wow... are they ever proud of copper these days!!! Holy smokes!

Today I got my element boxes finished to the point of putting elements in them... unfortunately, I purchased 5500W elements and then decided to build a "Back-to-Back" electric brewery. I need to sell these elements now. I re-ordered some 4500W elements and it is just hurry up and wait now 'till my new elements come in.
I also built a GIGANTIC 30 foot extension cord for my rig. I am waiting for the special connector for the other end to come in... This connector is 3" diameter. I guess when you get up to 50 Amps, you want PLENTY of insulation from that current. The cord is 8/4 cable and is bigger than my thumb! I just REALLY wanted to be able to brew outside in the driveway on nice days.

heat-element-boxes-large-.jpg   element-boxes-large-.jpg   heating-element-cables-large-.jpg   extension-plug-large-.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 05:47 AM   #22
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Tonight, I finally put together all the pieces of my stir plate I have been meaning to build. I may have to bump up to a 7V power supply because the 5V just barely puckers the surface of the water with 4L in the flask. I am afraid it won't do much of anything with a yeast starter in it...

stir-plate-4l-water-large-.jpg  

Old 04-25-2012, 03:51 AM   #23
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Today I figured out it is going to take 12 Volts to make my 5L flask get a get decent little 1" vortex for my starters...
Also, I finished my element units up to the point of just dropping in the element and sealing the element with silicone. I already have the ground wire attached and the ring terminals on the wires... The 4500W elements just shipped today so I have a few days to wait until I am finished with those for good.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:03 AM   #24
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Not much today... I removed the spears from all my kegs as well as a keg of my buddies. Man, those kegs were NASTY inside! Major big stink! Filled them up with water and sloshed them about pretty vigorously... Keg cutting will happen soon!

Also, here is a nice shot of my "almost-finished" heating element components.

2012-04-25-22.35.41-large-.jpg   2012-04-25-22.36.13-large-.jpg  

Old 05-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #25
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I was talking with the guy that runs out CNC plasma cutting table at work. He said the plasma machine will actually extend past the "table" part by 2-3 feet. This friday, I will take my kegs up to work and have cnc plasma-cut openings cut in the ends of my kegs!!! I will take some pix to share. Of course I offered the guy some of my homebrew as "payment" and he got real excited about that!

Old 05-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #26
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I got my tri-clamps, gaskets and block-off plates in the mail the other day. I CAREFULLY shaved the bump off one side on each gasket with a razor blade so that it lay flat on the keg bung. This is a water tight connection!!! YES!!!
I then filled one of the kegs up with water and put it up on the brew stand. (YES... IT WAS HEAVY!) It looks like I will be able to get away with a 4" diameter hole for my bottom drain idea to work. I should be getting my control panel kit in a week or two. I am going nuts wanting to work on my brewery... I guess I can cut the holes in my table top and stain and seal them. I also need to take the kegs up to work and cut the openings in the tops with the plasma cutter and start putting my holes in the keggles... Ahh. still lots of work to do to my keggles...

water-tight-keg-large-.jpg  

Old 05-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #27
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I got this connector in the mail yesterday and was able to finish building the extension cable for my back to back control panel. This thing is ridiculously HUGE! But... I guess one would want to have plenty of insulation between the electricity and flesh...

brewery-extension-cable-large-.jpg  

Old 05-12-2012, 01:47 AM   #28
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I opened up my keggles today. The CNC plasma cutter would not work to cut these afterall and that left me with no choice but to figure out how to use the hand-held plasma cutter. I think these turned out ok for hand-held cutting... I was also able to use a flapper disk on a grinder to knock off the slag and smooth out the edges.
I also opened up a buddies Boil keggle. He is just going to use one for extract brewing in bigger batches.

keggle-cut-1-large-.jpg   keggle-cut-2-large-.jpg   keggle-cut-3-large-.jpg   keggle-cut-4-large-.jpg  

Old 05-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #29
TaylorInOK
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Lookin GREAT! Can't wait to see how it turns out. Great deal at Lowes by the way... it might have been on purpose due to the wait. They're usually pretty cool like that.

By the way, i hate you... i hate anyone that can weild a welding/cutting/plasma torch well out of 100% jealousy. They came out looking really, really good!

Edit: After frustrations with the grinder flap disks not getting a smooth don't-cut-your-hand-off lip on my keggle cuts, i ended up trying the roughest sandpaper with my orbital on highest speed... baby soft-smooth and quick. Any tips on the flap disk though? I think i used 80 grit but it just tore it up (even after grinding off as much of the sharp parts as i could)... maybe i just got a crummy disk.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #30
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorInOK View Post
Lookin GREAT! Can't wait to see how it turns out. Great deal at Lowes by the way... it might have been on purpose due to the wait. They're usually pretty cool like that.

By the way, i hate you... i hate anyone that can weild a welding/cutting/plasma torch well out of 100% jealousy. They came out looking really, really good!

Edit: After frustrations with the grinder flap disks not getting a smooth don't-cut-your-hand-off lip on my keggle cuts, i ended up trying the roughest sandpaper with my orbital on highest speed... baby soft-smooth and quick. Any tips on the flap disk though? I think i used 80 grit but it just tore it up (even after grinding off as much of the sharp parts as i could)... maybe i just got a crummy disk.
I don't know man. This wa so my first time to ever use a plasma cutter. Also the flapper disks I used were 40 grit. Just took my time and didnt press real hard. I want to use the drop from yhe kegs to make a false bottom.
I hope to polish the hlt and bk. Well probably insulate the mlt somehow.

Quick Reply