LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #91
fall-line
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Fantastic work. This is an example of why I put in 60amps of 220 for my brewing station when building the garage, despite being a gas brewer...just in case Well done!

"Brewing beer is a fun and rewarding hobby. When you do good, you get beer. When you do bad, you get beer. It's a lot like rec league softball"
(source)

Building a home brewery (and garage) from the ground up

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #92
Brewmech
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Congrats from the guy who got third in that category this year!

[trash talk]
Consider yourself lucky I entered the last bottles of a 10 gallon batch that was 6 months old and got left out in my 95 deg garage for 3 days because I was sick and not thinking at the time. It scored a 43 earlier this year. Just got my scores today, btw.
[/trash talk]

Seriously, awesome job on the rig, that is beautiful, and congrats on the win!

Cheers!
Brewmech

Old 10-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #93
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 32

wow!
good to hear from some competition. apparently we were in a lot of company in that category. funny how a young beer and an old beer both placed.

/trash talk
excuses, excuses, excuses...
end trash talk/

I got my score sheets today as well. score was lower than I thought it wouldbe. was doc'd on both sheets for slightly low carbonation.

maybe we will cross paths and more competitions sometime. Keep up the good work! and congratulations on your placing.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #94
Brewmech
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco View Post
wow!
good to hear from some competition. apparently we were in a lot of company in that category. funny how a young beer and an old beer both placed.

/trash talk
excuses, excuses, excuses...
end trash talk/

I got my score sheets today as well. score was lower than I thought it wouldbe. was doc'd on both sheets for slightly low carbonation.

maybe we will cross paths and more competitions sometime. Keep up the good work! and congratulations on your placing.
Any ideas how many entries there were?

FWIW, the high score was 36, low 32 and considering the age and what I was tasting that is about right. It was beautiful a few months ago.

Now that your rig is done you can practice more so you can keep on beating me!

Old 10-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #95
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmech View Post
Any ideas how many entries there were?

FWIW, the high score was 36, low 32 and considering the age and what I was tasting that is about right. It was beautiful a few months ago.

Now that your rig is done you can practice more so you can keep on beating me!
I believe there were 14 or 15 entries in the Altbier category.
The top three must have been REAL tight judging. I had a 36 and 34. Makes me wonder what the 2nd place score was! Wow, that is tight.

BTW, What was your entry number? I picked up as many of the Altbier leftovers as I could last night. Maybe I can hoist a pint of your Altbier if I was so fortunate to have picked up your number.

I am brewing an American Pale Ale this weekend. Want to compete? haha!

Also, how did you hear about the O'zapft contest if you live in Florida?

Old 10-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #96
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall-line View Post
Fantastic work. This is an example of why I put in 60amps of 220 for my brewing station when building the garage, despite being a gas brewer...just in case Well done!
Thanks!

What are you planning to do with the 60 Amp service? There is a BIG price difference from 50 Amp to 60 Amp rated equipment. 60A is SERIOUSLY high price (from what I have seen) Heck, 50 Amp is high enough price!!!

Old 10-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #97
Brewmech
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco View Post
I believe there were 14 or 15 entries in the Altbier category.
The top three must have been REAL tight judging. I had a 36 and 34. Makes me wonder what the 2nd place score was! Wow, that is tight.

BTW, What was your entry number? I picked up as many of the Altbier leftovers as I could last night. Maybe I can hoist a pint of your Altbier if I was so fortunate to have picked up your number.

I am brewing an American Pale Ale this weekend. Want to compete? haha!

Also, how did you hear about the O'zapft contest if you live in Florida?
Entry number was 11988. 2nd had to be 35/34.

My entry almost didn't get there either. I had to send the entry while Hurricane Debbie was making it's way towards the coast.

I believe it was listed on the AHA competition calendar. One of the guys in my competition team sent me the link since I have been concentrating on my duss alt. What better way to get feedback on a German beer than to put it in a German beer only comp.

My club is only a couple years old and we started a sub group which is the competition team. It's an invite only team that focuses on a few beers that we brew over and over and send to comps/taste each others and give as much honest unbiased feedback as we can. If you can't handle criticism about your beer then you don't belong. The goal is to win medals for the club, specifically from the Florida Circuit and NHC, but we will enter a few others as well, like Malt Madness in Pennsylvania and the Upper Mississippi Mashout (I'll be entering an altbier in that if you want to try again). We also aim to improve the overall perception of the club in the Tampa area to gain membership and improve the overall beer quality. We also are mentors for new brewers. The idea came about after we had a club meeting where some 20 beers were shared and only about 3 were drinkable. Since we started back in April we started a member only quarterly competition so members can get feedback on a style and win a cool trophy. I'd say it's working because the beer quality at the general club meetings is getting better, and we are winning more medals personally. We had 0 for the club to start and I think we are up to about 15 so far this year with one more big comp to go.

Probably more than you wanted to know!

Cheers!
Brewmech

Old 10-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #98
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmech View Post
Entry number was 11988. 2nd had to be 35/34.

My entry almost didn't get there either. I had to send the entry while Hurricane Debbie was making it's way towards the coast.

I believe it was listed on the AHA competition calendar. One of the guys in my competition team sent me the link since I have been concentrating on my duss alt. What better way to get feedback on a German beer than to put it in a German beer only comp.

My club is only a couple years old and we started a sub group which is the competition team. It's an invite only team that focuses on a few beers that we brew over and over and send to comps/taste each others and give as much honest unbiased feedback as we can. If you can't handle criticism about your beer then you don't belong. The goal is to win medals for the club, specifically from the Florida Circuit and NHC, but we will enter a few others as well, like Malt Madness in Pennsylvania and the Upper Mississippi Mashout (I'll be entering an altbier in that if you want to try again). We also aim to improve the overall perception of the club in the Tampa area to gain membership and improve the overall beer quality. We also are mentors for new brewers. The idea came about after we had a club meeting where some 20 beers were shared and only about 3 were drinkable. Since we started back in April we started a member only quarterly competition so members can get feedback on a style and win a cool trophy. I'd say it's working because the beer quality at the general club meetings is getting better, and we are winning more medals personally. We had 0 for the club to start and I think we are up to about 15 so far this year with one more big comp to go.

Probably more than you wanted to know!

Cheers!
Brewmech
I will see if your number is in the collection I took home. That would be very cool! They are all in the fridge right now.

The mentoring is a REALLY great idea! The club I am in is pretty good about mentoring noob's... Look at me for example... However, I'm not sure about limiting the contest entries to a "select" team. Are all of your members encouraged to enter contests if they choose?

Old 10-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #99
Brewmech
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Anyone can enter contests, just the team members are by invitation only. It's a dedication to brewing and improving and getting/giving honest feedback. If my beer sucks, I want to know, don't hold back, but please try to explain how it sucks. Not everyone is that dedicated or able to handle that kind of thing, so it's not for everybody.

We do track the contests and announce them for everyone to enter. No one is required to enter, but then again many wouldn't know how or when if we didn't tell them. So in that way we promote competition brewing. If we notice that a brewer is trying hard (and we look for it) to get better and enter comps then we invite them into the group. If they like the atmosphere and the attention to detail and feedback then they stay. If they aren't that dedicated then they quit. No hard feelings. So we aren't beer nazis or anything like that, we just try harder than the average brewer to improve.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #100
fc36
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Subbed... How's the rig brewing so far? I just "sourced" my 3rd and final keg needed for either an e-brewery or a propane single tier.

Quick Reply