Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My brew rig: The Omnibrew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2011, 03:08 AM   #1
ExHempKnight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default My brew rig: The Omnibrew

I guess I'm close enough to building this thing, that I can share. It's an amalgamation of several ideas I've gleaned from people, and combined into a do-it-all brewing rig.

I'll be building it on a cart for portability. It will consist of a motorized grain mill, a single-vessel BIABasket system (a la ScubaSteve), a Bobby_M style CFC, on board water filter, an on-board ventilation system, and a 20-gallon tank with a submersible pump (which will collect the CFC cooling water for later cleaning use).

First, the Control Panel schematic (thanks again to P-J for being cool with me stealing and modifying this for my own purposes):

Next, the plumbing:

The plumbing again, this time as a parts diagram:

And finally, a crude concept drawing of the vent system:

Constructive criticism is most welcome. Thanks!

"Drilling more holes than we need to, since 2010."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 03:53 AM   #2
mvdilts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

looks like a pretty sweet design to me! looking forward to seeing some build pics

"Boredom leads to tinkering. Tinkering leads to Rube Goldberg like brewing setups." - Yoda on homebrewing. (thanks to DarthBeer)

Old 02-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
Mose
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OP,

Awesome, and thanks for posting a wiring diagram that I can follow to the T for my build, and thanks to P.J. for wiring help in this thread and many others I have read.

You're in Roanoke? So am I. Are you a member of Star City Brewers Guild? I don't make it to many meetings but am "officially" a member.

Can't wait to see the build.

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid" John Wayne

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" JFK

Old 02-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Very nice! I can tell you put some work into those diagrams. It looks good...the only thing I might add is to have the ventilation off the rig...or at least QD it somehow. That ducting is going to be a PITA, and clutter your build... so why not hook it up only when you need it?

Also, why not have a bottom drain? That way you don't have to worry about losing siphon or having residual fluid. And it won't get in the way of your basket.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

Old 02-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
DakotaPrerunner
Fortis et Egregius
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Nice diagram of the wiring. I have just one question. Why do you have two relays? You only need one per element.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
ExHempKnight
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The ducting should be relatively out of the way. I plan on using a 6" inline fan like this, which will be mounted to the underside of the top shelf of the cart. I'll use a "T" duct sideways, with one of the branches protruding up through the shelf, the other pointing down with a cap and a drain (condensate collector), and the trunk of the T to the fan inlet.

I plan on using a 25' aluminum dryer hose for the fan outlet. That stuff compresses pretty small, so I figure I'll make a tube out of sheet metal that's maybe 1/2" longer than the compressed hose, and mount it under the shelf as well. This way, when it's not in use, I can just accordion the hose into the tube, and cap it.

That's the next drawing I need to work on... I'll probably have that done tonight.

I don't have a bottom drain because I wanted to be able to set the pot flat, without having to drill holes. I plan on doing CIP like you, but I still want to be able to take the pot off the cart without needing a wrench.

And as for the second SSR... I had originally intended to include a RIMS tube like Scuba, but decided not to at this time. So I figured I wouldn't let the extra SSR go to waste. Plus, it's safer this way. When the PID is off, I know there's no current flowing to the element.

Also, if I decide to add a RIMS tube later, the relay will already be in the box, and all I'll have to do is add another breaker and change some wiring around.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #7
pvtschultz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

You won't be able to accordion the aluminum tube more than a time or two before it starts to fall apart on you. I suggest just using the plastic spiral wound wire reinforced stuff instead and put metal ends on it for a crude QD. Also, I think that 600 cfm will be too much IMHO, but that from the "conservationist" in me. I'm thinking that 300 cfm will be better suited to collect the boiled off water vapor.

2014 Gallons Brewed: 19
Gallons Brewed '11-'13: 250

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/pvtschultzs-ebiab-build-finally-298407/

Old 02-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #8
ExHempKnight
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I know the plastic tube you're talking about... That's where I got the storage idea. That is the ideal solution to my needs, but that **** is ungodly expensive. I don't even know if it comes in 6" diameter, but a google search turned up a 15' length of 10" duct for ~$200.

As for the fan... The 500CFM rating was from an eBay ad, which is probably exaggerated quite a bit. The one I plan on using is ~400CFM, which will probably decrease with ducting installed.

Either way, I'll have it hooked to a 3-speed controller, so I can dial in what I need. Now that I think about it, I guess I should add that to the schematic tonight.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:39 PM   #9
ExHempKnight
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Update: Sketchup model! It's fairly basic... I didn't model any of the plumbing. I just wanted to mock everything up to make sure I can fit it all on the cart I plan to use. I think it'll work perfectly. Let me know what you guys (and gals) think. (EDIT... Forgot to put my CFC in the model, so did that)

Old 02-07-2011, 11:45 PM   #10
cletusp
Recipes 

Just curious as to why your filtering your chilling water?

Quick Reply