Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Beer line chiller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010, 02:25 PM   #21
Joker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Absolutely amazing and inspirational. I am working on a bar and keezer design and your post has provided some fresh ideas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2010, 04:48 AM   #22
SweetSounds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Well, it works!*
Of course we had to take a few glasses from the first tap to christen the thing. Then I let the beer sit in the line for about 30 minutes. I pulled about 4 oz from the tap and measured the temp. The keezer was 44 and the beer was 45 at the tap after 9' of trunk. I was really shocked. I was expecting a 3-5 degree differential. Maybe 30 minutes wasn't enough for insulated, marginally cooled lines to warm up, but it's a little promising. The loop of trunk from the keezer to the bar rests against the hot side when the compressor is running.
I also haven't figured out control of the pump and fan yet. I'm leaning towards an AMX controller and touch panel with temp sensors on the analog inputs. That's next. But for now, the chiller pump and fan will run with the compressor.

Now the *
There's a leak. I think it's still in the same place as before, near the pump. +1 to whoever it was in the beginning of this that told me chasing leaks sucks. It really does.
This thing puts one HELL of a load on the keezer, I think. I had the lid open for probably 30 minutes installing everything. And then I added 2 room temp kegs to chill and carb. Maybe that was it... The Ranco said it was 52 degrees after all that, and it took 2 hours to pull back down to 44, with the chiller running.
On the up side, with 13' of line, the head is perfect!

So basically, I'm optimistic this is practical. I'll need to see how it does with beer sitting in the line for a day or more, and measure the temperature of the draw. And I need to find and fix the (very slow) leak.

More updates in a week or so. I have to bottle in the morning, and then the rest of my weekend is shot.

Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

Old 03-28-2010, 01:05 PM   #23
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The warm kegs are what put the load on. Once they are cold they will help regulate the temp with their thermal mass. Cool build I am looking forward to how your faucets look on the heads.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #24
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 914 Times on 609 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Exactly. The only way to tell what kind of a load the coolant loop puts on the system is to wait until all temps have equalized over two days, put a "kill a watt" or other usage measuring device on the freezer and run two tests. For one 24 hour period, don't let the pump run. For another 24 hours, run the pump continuously. Running the pump only with the compressor run won't work too well because the lines can get really warm in between cycles.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 03-31-2010, 01:07 PM   #25
SweetSounds
Recipes 

Yea, after the kegs got cold the keezer wasn't running nearly as hard as before. I should have waited to put them in so I'd have a better idea of how the chiller loads the compressor. Oh well.
I'm not really going to have time this weekend to work on it - Going to NE with SWIMBO for Easter.

The next steps:
Fix that damned leak!
Find some RV antifreeze for coolant (It's just water right now, for testing)

Then automation:
AMX Netlinx controller
5" or 10" touch panel
Relay control of the keezer compressor, keezer light, chiller fan, and coolant pump, and mini fridge (Right under the towers)
LM35 temperature sensors - Keezer, coolant reservoir, trunk line, tap tower sensors, and mini fridge sensor.

This will free up the Ranco for my other chest freezer! Lagering cooler maybe?

Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

Last edited by SweetSounds; 03-31-2010 at 01:09 PM.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #26
Dwain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You know, I'm pretty handy and can do a lot of different things. But we have some of the most industrious people I know of on here. With our differences in backgrounds/education/income levels, this board exemplifies the idea that the greatest strength in America is diversity. Just thought I'd throw that out there. - Dwain

P.S. fine build

Old 08-04-2010, 04:06 PM   #27
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2754 Times on 2705 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Updated pics of taps mounted?

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 08-04-2010, 04:09 PM   #28
SweetSounds
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Updated pics of taps mounted?
You know - They are mounted, but I haven't taken any pics! Maybe I'll get around to that this weekend

Unfortunately, when I built that I was brewing in Osky (Which is where that bar is) Now I barely ever go back there, and my homebrew stays in DesMoines.
I'm torn now weather to move it to DSM, and integrate it into the bar build this winter, or scrap the whole thing and part it out...

Tragic, I know...

Last edited by SweetSounds; 08-04-2010 at 04:13 PM.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #29
BrewPuppy
Recipes 

Default forget RV coolant...use vodka

The trunk build is awe inspiring. well freeking done!

In the future, go with vodka as a coolant. If it leaks, it is no big deal to clean up. It won't freeze at normal freezer temps. you are dealing with temps well below its evap temp, so vapor lock is not a concern.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #30
SweetSounds
Recipes 

Not a terrible idea in my system - But many others use much bigger capacity. Could get spendy then!

Unfortunately, the whole build is in a pile in storage now - I sold the house i had the bar in...

Someday I'll stand it back up. Till then it's the kegerator for me

Tags
chiller, glycol, line, trunk

Quick Reply