New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Beer line chiller build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #11
SweetSounds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks!
I'm looking forward to Denmark. Just wish I knew how long it was going to be for!
Anyone have recommendations for good Danish micros? Or pubs for that matter?

The tap towers are built from 1/2 of a Continental O-200 airplane engine. They are made in Mobile, Alabama. I think it came off of an Aeronca Champ. 4 taps - one on each intake and exhaust port. The case is cracked and the cylinders aren't certifiable anymore = Free! Had a friend powder coat it. I've had that part done for about 4 years. I just recently got into home brewing... Seemed like a good reason to dust it off!
There is more detail on the build in my original thread in Bottling/Kegging
Better pic of the tower:

More to come!

Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

Last edited by SweetSounds; 02-21-2010 at 12:24 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 09:36 PM   #12
mordantly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

that explains the odd port positions... that will make a bitchen tower!

Old 02-20-2010, 11:58 PM   #13
SweetSounds
Recipes 

Ok,
Progress... The trunk is built, insulated, and installed. The towers are assembled, but I'm still waiting on flanges. It's tough to find 7/8" ID steel tubing in Oskaloosa IA
Maybe I'll get them started next weekend.

So! Here are some progress pics of the trunk build.

Like I said earlier in the thread, the towers are 1/2 of a Continental airplane engine. Here's the crank case, in it's final place, without the juggs...

This is the inside of one cylinder. When it's mated to the case, I have 10" of clearance for the coolant loopback.

This is the start of the coolant line assembly.
3 lessons learned:
1) I bought more tubing because I decided to make the fixed part out of copper. The heat transfer is MUCH more efficient than vinyl. Unfortunately, I bought the thin wall "Utility Grade" tubing, instead of the thicker wall stuff I built the chiller out of. It's much easier to bend, but a royal PAIN to keep from collapsing. Even with a good bender, it wanted to kink if I went past a 90 degree bend. Oh well. I had enough spare loops from when I was practicing building the turnarounds to finish the build. Buy the thicker tubing! It's harder to bend, but at least it's workable.
2) Buy a good bender! The black one (You can see it in some of the earlier pics) is the best one of the 4 I bought. I used a spring bender for tweaking.
3) Zip ties are your friend. I use them to hold things in place during assembly. Cut them off, add a tube, install another one. They are cheap and kept me from going insane when I started routing hoses.

This is with the beer lines added. The coolant hoses will attach to the ends of the copper pipe. The cylinders (towers) will drop over the loops, and the lines will attach to shanks fitted to the intake and exhaust ports.

Assembled, installed, and insulated.

The trunk comes through the top, hangs a left through the partition between the mini fridge (Which is directly under the tower) and the keezer compartment.

Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

Last edited by SweetSounds; 02-21-2010 at 12:27 AM.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:00 AM   #14
SweetSounds
Recipes 

Now for the main trunk...
It's a pain to keep the lines arranged in the way I wanted them. Time to bust out the zip ties again...

Then I wrapped the lines in stretch wrap, removing the ties as I went.

I left a zip tie at each end of the trunk whip so the insulation and stretch wrap didn't have to handle the load of the line trying to separate.

The finished product

And insulated

The trunk comes into the keezer through 2 90 degree PVC elbows connected through the collar. (One is a street-L)

Last edited by SweetSounds; 02-21-2010 at 12:10 AM.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:11 AM   #15
SweetSounds
Recipes 

The finished trunk:

From this

To this!

The chiller build photos are here:
The trunk build photos are here:
Concept photos are here:

Last edited by SweetSounds; 02-21-2010 at 12:15 AM.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:17 AM   #16
kmack747
Recipes 

Looking sweet keep up the good work and keep us updated

Old 02-21-2010, 07:00 AM   #17
BenjaminR
Recipes 

That is going to be pimp!

Old 03-23-2010, 05:38 PM   #18
jbirch
Recipes 

Default status?

Any update on the beer line cooler build? I have been trying to track your thread closely as I am planning to copy your build if all works well. Thanks.

BTW, tried to PM you but your mail box is full.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #19
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

A thing of beauty!

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what-kind-r-value-ferm-chamber-190459/

Old 03-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #20
SweetSounds
Recipes 

I just got back from the other side of the pond yesterday.
I got in on the Perlick group buy. So assuming they are at my house, and I can get to the LHBS for shanks, I'll have more information this weekend when I get home.
I'll update soon, I promise

Tags
chiller, glycol, line, trunk

Quick Reply