Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My bar....n build (bar in the barn) thus far

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2012, 06:15 PM   #21
grfrazee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

You have no idea how jealous I am of this project. I'm a hobbyist woodworker and full-time structural engineer, so this project would play to both of those interests. I can't wait to see the finished product (love the tiger maple on the coffin box btw).

Oh, and please tell me you guys added some horizontal bracing to the barn after it almost blew down in the wind storm. I would hate to see you lose your bar build under the collapsed roof should that happen again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #22
mikebering
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grfrazee View Post
You have no idea how jealous I am of this project. I'm a hobbyist woodworker and full-time structural engineer, so this project would play to both of those interests. I can't wait to see the finished product (love the tiger maple on the coffin box btw).

Oh, and please tell me you guys added some horizontal bracing to the barn after it almost blew down in the wind storm. I would hate to see you lose your bar build under the collapsed roof should that happen again.
Yeah we did, 2 14"x14"x28' hardwood beams mounted with 9/16" plate steel brackets and 1' threaded rod, along with 3/4" steel wire and tensioners on the opposite wall! Maybe a bit of overkill, but insurance was buying so might as well hahaha.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:08 PM   #23
shuckit
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Thanks for the pictures. I like old barns and it looks like you could have a huge party in that one.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:38 PM   #24
stevehomey13
Recipes 

That looks awesome! Looking forward to more updates.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:38 PM   #25
mikebering
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuckit View Post
Thanks for the pictures. I like old barns and it looks like you could have a huge party in that one.
Actually we had my sisters wedding in there last May (which is what started this whole cleaning out and using the barn kick), 190 people comfortable with tables and chairs!

Old 06-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #26
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Looks fantastic. I love the look of old reclaimed materials. Nice job man! I went with a more rustic log decor with basement bar and love the final results. That is going to be an awesome place for you and your buddies to hang!

Old 06-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #27
mikebering
Recipes 

Well here is the weekends progress, we got a good bit done.
Someone is coming to pour the top sealer tomorrow we hope.

First here is an old skid we got that I lacquered up and put bottoms into, going to use it as a liquor shelf with under counter lighting in it

19-skid-shelf.jpg

Here's the bar with the tiles set but not mortared, mortar is laid down, but haven't got any pictures of that yet! Sorry the pictures kinda blow, it was dusty in there and the camera had trouble focusing

20-shitty-bar-picture.jpg

21-bar-tile-laid.jpg

Old 06-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #28
cmybeer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

Your profile says Ontario but I don't know anything about what summers there are like. How hot does that barn get? And cold in the winter? In my experience here in MN (which is pretty far north by US standards) it still gets nasty hot inside barns in summer.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #29
mikebering
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmybeer View Post
Your profile says Ontario but I don't know anything about what summers there are like. How hot does that barn get? And cold in the winter? In my experience here in MN (which is pretty far north by US standards) it still gets nasty hot inside barns in summer.
It gets pretty hot, but we have 3 exhaust fans in the very top set to draw all of the hot air out of the building, and a return fan for fresh air, the idea is to insulate the area where the bar is for winter eventually

Old 06-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #30
cmybeer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebering View Post
It gets pretty hot, but we have 3 exhaust fans in the very top set to draw all of the hot air out of the building, and a return fan for fresh air, the idea is to insulate the area where the bar is for winter eventually
Smart man. I had a feeling you had thought this through but I figure it never hurts to ask questions and make sure. That would make for a sad day at the barn/bar otherwise.

Quick Reply