Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My $30 Craigslist Freezer - A Love Story

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #51
UKFreak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Yeah, exactly. That's why I went with the vinyl wrap. Didn't cost me much more than paint supplies and was one HELL of a lot faster! And you can do almost ANYTHING with vinyl. I've even used it on cars a few times when what I wanted to too intricate (or time consuming) for airbrushing!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #52
UKFreak
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Looks great, dude! I think I'd still hit it with a topcoat, if for no other reason to keep dust from attaching to it. That satin type finish tends to attract dust and pollen. BTW: if you wanna add some graphics you can still do vinyl. By picking them up and installing yourself (really easy to do) you can save serious money. Now...I still gotta sell the whole multi-keg thing to the ole lady.....thanks, bro! LOL

Old 08-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #53
thatfatbastard
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I ran it by her and my wife shot down the vinyl idea. I think that she wants it to be either black or skinned with wood.

She actually helped me bring it in to the house this afternoon. My parts came in and I started putting it together.

I got the regulators all hooked up and everything was looking great. Got the thermostat installed no problem. I attached the lid and there were problems. There was a gap in weatherstripping in the right front, so I looked around back and the back right corner of the collar was separated. I guess I'll be making another trip to Lowes for a brace - but not tonight.

Here's a link to a small album

Old 08-24-2012, 11:07 PM   #54
Punity
ECS 4 LIFE!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Looks sweet man really nicely put together

Old 08-24-2012, 11:07 PM   #55
UKFreak
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm trackin with ya Bro! Gotta keep the other half happy! Looking great, though! I like the satin type finishes. I'm workin on a 79 Ford monster truck that I'm thinking satin paint and green metal flake old-school flame. Old hot rods look really nice in satin paint, and I'm thinkin so will an old-school kegger.......dammit, got me thinkin again.......we gotta stop talkin! LMAO!

"I never met a beer I didn't like....well, except Woodchuck!"

Old 08-25-2012, 12:11 AM   #56
thatfatbastard
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punity View Post
few update pics hit the keezer with two coats of chalkboard paint drying the second right now.

Pic of my free keg and the blower ill be using to move air.
Lookin' good keezer buddy!

Old 08-25-2012, 12:13 AM   #57
thatfatbastard
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKFreak View Post
I'm trackin with ya Bro! Gotta keep the other half happy! Looking great, though! I like the satin type finishes. I'm workin on a 79 Ford monster truck that I'm thinking satin paint and green metal flake old-school flame. Old hot rods look really nice in satin paint, and I'm thinkin so will an old-school kegger.......dammit, got me thinkin again.......we gotta stop talkin! LMAO!
A house I used to own came with one of the old '50s Kelvinator refrigerators down in the basement. I wanted to keep that thing when we moved, but it weighed a ton. Would've made an awesome kegerator.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #58
UKFreak
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatfatbastard View Post
A house I used to own came with one of the old '50s Kelvinator refrigerators down in the basement. I wanted to keep that thing when we moved, but it weighed a ton. Would've made an awesome kegerator.
Yeah, I got snookered on ebay. Bought an old refer that had been converted. Guy was supposed to be a commercial refridge servie tech and said he had "rewired, reinsulated, and upgraded the system to the modern refridgerant"... Lied is ass off. The thing wouldnt work more than a day or two. finally got a partial settlement out if him through PayPal (still lost a couple hundred bucks), THEN had a local guy look at it who told me if he'd truly modernized it, would have had to replace the compressor (not done). Started to just junk it, but thinkin I may just go ahead and fix it up (and do it right), just because the thing looks really cool!

"I never met a beer I didn't like....well, except Woodchuck!"

Old 08-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #59
thatfatbastard
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Well, I just rebuilt the collar and plugged it back in. We'll see how it goes this time. I think I'm going to have to put some washers on the hinges to act as spacers. It's pinching the freezer gasket in a couple of places and I don't want to have to readjust it each time I open the lid.

I also put some black electrical tape on the outside of the gasket (the gasket was white and really stood out when the lid was closed) to hide it. When I compete the collar and put the 1x6 oak facing on it you shouldn't be able to see the gasket at all.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:25 AM   #60
thatfatbastard
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

A quick pic of it in place and running:

Quick Reply