Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My $30 Craigslist Freezer - A Love Story

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #31
RisenDeadBrewing
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Amazon has the STC-1000 for about the same price as ebay.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...2Ck%3Astc-1000

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #32
Punity
ECS 4 LIFE!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 271 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Update: ordered my kegging gear getting a couple cornies for free and am now cutting all my holes and getting my insulation ready.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #33
thatfatbastard
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

**New Pictures**

So... Let me bring you up to speed.

I had sanded the lid and got it fitting in to the collar when we left off.

Today, I taped up the lid and shot it with some Rustoleum appliance paint. It looked pretty good after one coat, but after the second coat you can definitely tell that it came out of a spray can. Not that it looks horrible, but the overspray is a dead giveaway.

On to better news. Earlier this week I spoke with Todd at Kegconnection.com and ordered some of the pieces that I will need to have the keezer up and operational (but not complete) by next weekend. So tomorrow I should have a new regulator, thermostat and three sets of disconnects. For the party we are throwing I am just going to be using cobra taps, I may not even put the collar on for next weekend.

Also, yesterday I received a package from McMaster Carr with 20 tap handle inserts and a package from Amazon with my dehumidifier. Things are coming together.

I have two beers in primary right now, and they should be finished fermenting in the next day or so. I will be dry hopping one and letting the other be. I will probably only dry hop for 4 or 5 days, so that I have plenty of time for the kegs to force carb. I'm hoping that the beers don't taste too green. This is the quickest I've turned a batch. I usually let them sit in primary for 3 or 4 weeks. These will only be a week and a half or so.
icdpah.jpg

hzfuyh.jpg

Old 08-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #34
Punity
ECS 4 LIFE!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Looks good man. Im painting mine today. I had to rip off the insulation under the lid to get it to fit with the new insualtion on the collar. But thats ok i hit it stainless looking spray paint matches the foil look on the new insulation

Old 08-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #35
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatfatbastard View Post
**New Pictures**

. For the party we are throwing I am just going to be using cobra taps, I may not even put the collar on for next weekend.

Sure this works fine...just toss a blanket or sleeping bag over the top of the keezer when you are chilling the kegs a few days in advance of the party, once cold they will stay cold, but plan ahead...it takes a while to chill large volumes...IME days not hours.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #36
thatfatbastard
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punity View Post
Looks good man. Im painting mine today. I had to rip off the insulation under the lid to get it to fit with the new insualtion on the collar. But thats ok i hit it stainless looking spray paint matches the foil look on the new insulation
Cool, I hope you have better luck than I did. I definitely looks better than it did, but not necessarily as good as it could. Below is what the chrome looks like with the tape off.

I think what I might do is either pick up a quart of paint and use my spray gun or repaint it with the chalkboard paint. Either way I am going to wait until after next weekend to do that.

Or hell, who knows, I might just leave it the way it is.

If the weather is good tomorrow, and it is supposed to be, I'm going to paint the chest.
orn3v.jpg  

Old 08-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #37
thatfatbastard
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
Sure this works fine...just toss a blanket or sleeping bag over the top of the keezer when you are chilling the kegs a few days in advance of the party, once cold they will stay cold, but plan ahead...it takes a while to chill large volumes...IME days not hours.
I hope to get it starting to cool this weekend.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:10 PM   #38
Punity
ECS 4 LIFE!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatfatbastard

Cool, I hope you have better luck than I did. I definitely looks better than it did, but not necessarily as good as it could. Below is what the chrome looks like with the tape off.

I think what I might do is either pick up a quart of paint and use my spray gun or repaint it with the chalkboard paint. Either way I am going to wait until after next weekend to do that.

Or hell, who knows, I might just leave it the way it is.

If the weather is good tomorrow, and it is supposed to be, I'm going to paint the chest.
Haha i just put the primer down waiting to dry before hitting with chalkboard. I was trying to tape off the edges and seams make it look nice but the satisfaction said eff it i like it all black haha so i just primed the whole thing

Old 08-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #39
UKFreak
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Dude! Spray cans can and do work if you make a couple of adjustments. (I am new to brewing but been restoring old card for years!) If your surface ain't slick, the paint wont be no matter what you do to it. Take the time to get all the dents out (or fill them in). Use a good epoxy primer if you can. Most importantly (and this may salvage your current project) you have to put several coats on, color sand with a really super-fine grit (800 or more) then recoat and use an even finer sandpaper or even use a buffer and a extra fine compound. The trick is to build up enough coats to be able to sand without penetrating the finish down to the surface. A nice clearcoat also helps. The problem with spray cans is that the spray is somewhat inconsistent, so you have to build it up enough to level it out. Ya want 1st class, ya gotta spend the time! Most freezers have a rough, veined finish. That's why I went with the vinyl wrap over stock white. I had a UV laminate added to it for about an extra $50 to protect against the sun and weather (my kegger is on the covered deck next to the pool) and it works like a dream. Good luck and, more importantly, HAVE FUN!

Old 08-23-2012, 11:26 PM   #40
UKFreak
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Ya just HAD to do it, didn't ya! Now I'm already thinking about changin my 2 into a bar-like array with about a dozen or s omhome brews.....my wife's gonna hate you.......LOL

Quick Reply