*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Multiple fermentation chambers - one temp control?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011, 01:02 AM   #1
chezhed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Multiple fermentation chambers - one temp control?

Wondering what might go wrong if I ran two 3.5 cf mini fridges off one Ranco temp controller...I tend to ferment at one temp consistently in better bottles so I'm thinking, why not? Two identical fridges with two nearly identical masses...
What am I missing about this idea that would make me go buy another controller? Anyone ever do this?

Green Bay Packers - 13 Time World Champions

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 01:15 AM   #2
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

What is the current capacity of the Ranco controller? Will it physically run 2 fridges? The only other issue is different efficiencies between the two fridges.I would think they would be pretty close, but if one was older and the other brand new the new one might run a bit cooler. Are you opposed to cutting a pair of holes in both of them and connect them with PVC or something with a PC fan recirculating air between them?

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 10-04-2011, 01:32 AM   #3
chezhed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin View Post
What is the current capacity of the Ranco controller? Will it physically run 2 fridges? The only other issue is different efficiencies between the two fridges.I would think they would be pretty close, but if one was older and the other brand new the new one might run a bit cooler. Are you opposed to cutting a pair of holes in both of them and connect them with PVC or something with a PC fan recirculating air between them?
Current capacity...damn good question. Will check...see, I knew someone would come up with a valid concern and I was being too simple.
Both fridges are identical (Avanti super conductor 2.5) and one is about 6 months old and one brand new.
Yes, I am opposed to cutting holes and connecting because I may need to move them in such position that then I would only have holes to plug...
Thanks

Old 10-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
horseinmay
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Did you consider building a box around one of the fridges, to increase it's size enough to hold both bottles? This way you could use the other fridge for something else, and not worry about the dual control. There are plenty of threads about building one on here.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
Tinga
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Over kill voice here.....

you could build a fermentation chamber out of ply wood and insulation and use both fridges at the same time to chill the chamber.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:18 AM   #6
chezhed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Considered a chamber but my average temperature in my garage through the summer has been about 100 degrees lately. That would be quite an insulated box and really probably a strain on these little fridges...plus it would be a pain to move. I'm stacking the two Avanti to utilize floor space.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:54 AM   #7
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1246 Times on 1005 Posts

fyi, here are the output relay ratings for the single and dual stage Ranco ETC controllers...

I suspect a pair of mini-fridges would work fine paralleled off the NO relay points...

Cheers!

Quick Reply