Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > multi use cold room build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2011, 02:06 AM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default multi use cold room build

Ok I have the building purchased so it is time to start planning. I want a cold room and a fermentation chamber. can one room be used for both? I have a big glass front cooler to actually put beer in to get to drinking temps. I am looking more at a room to store beer long term after bottle conditioning. Could I set one up to keep an ambient temp in the upper 50's low 60's since I am doing only ales and some wines. that way my ferm temps would be in line, plus I would have a good place for beer and wine storage. OR should I just make a real cold room to keep my beer in after bottle conditioning, and build a fermentation chamber out of an old side by side fridge and a temp controller?

BALDGUT BREWS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 02:44 AM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1216 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 551

if you've got a real-deal cold room, you can always use it as a fermentation chamber by wrapping your carboys in a fermwrap heater, and then wrapping some insulation around that. The neoprene carboy sleeves are nice. It sounds strange to have a heater going inside a cooler, but it's less inefficient than you'd think.

But, all told, if your main goal is to cellar your beer, drinking temps is probably too cold. If you don't do lagers, keep the cold room in the 50s for long-term aging.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:51 AM   #3
Layne
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've switched gears with my cold room build.
I've decided to build my room addition to my cookshack, and have it at room temp. I will drop another duct from my airconditioner into the new room. I them can have a huge chest freezer for my kegs and extra storage at 40-ish degrees for cold drinks, or aging beer.
I will have room for several 'fermenting friges, and they can all be at different temps if need be. Also lots of storage space for equipment,bulk grains, ect.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:52 AM   #4
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post
if you've got a real-deal cold room, you can always use it as a fermentation chamber by wrapping your carboys in a fermwrap heater, and then wrapping some insulation around that. The neoprene carboy sleeves are nice. It sounds strange to have a heater going inside a cooler, but it's less inefficient than you'd think.

But, all told, if your main goal is to cellar your beer, drinking temps is probably too cold. If you don't do lagers, keep the cold room in the 50s for long-term aging.
so if I can keep the ambient at 50 degrees that would work for cellaring the beer PLUS as a ferm chamber for ales?
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 06-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #5
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1216 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 551

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE

so if I can keep the ambient at 50 degrees that would work for cellaring the beer PLUS as a ferm chamber for ales?
Absolutely...get yourself a fermwrap (or make one) and a neoprene jacket for each carboy and you'll be able to ferment at whatever temperature you want, so long as it is greater than 50 degrees.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 06-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Or build a dedicated insulated box and heat it with a lightbulb or something. This is what I was going to do before I abandoned my closet cellar/cold room idea.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Quick Reply