The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Mounting 120V Elements in Keggle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2010, 03:08 AM   #21
chrisrush
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree. That is very nice. I'm having trouble mounting my element to my kettle. I have the proper size hole (1.25") but the nut/oring from bargainfittings doesn't seem to grip. I bought some smaller washers from Lowes to try out.

Barrel 1: Jim Beam
Primary 1: DFH 60' IPA (10g)
Primary 2: AHS Shiner Clone (10g)
Keg 1: AHS Pumpkin Ale
Keg 2: AHS Imperial Oktoberfest/Marzen
Keg 3: Munich Helles
Keg 4: Golden Celeia Pilsner
Keg 5: Chocolate Stout
Keg 6: Witguy Bier

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2010, 03:50 AM   #22
jfkriege
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What do you mean when you say, 'the nut/oring doesnt seem to grip'? Are you saying it is the wrong thread size? What kind of element did you purchase? If you could show a photo or explain in more detail, that would be great.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:35 PM   #23
chrisrush
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'll take a picture, but basically, I cannot get the inside nut to thread onto the element. If I remove the large black washer on the outside, I can get a good fit on the inside but it leaks on the outside. I'll try it again today and see if I can figure it out.

Barrel 1: Jim Beam
Primary 1: DFH 60' IPA (10g)
Primary 2: AHS Shiner Clone (10g)
Keg 1: AHS Pumpkin Ale
Keg 2: AHS Imperial Oktoberfest/Marzen
Keg 3: Munich Helles
Keg 4: Golden Celeia Pilsner
Keg 5: Chocolate Stout
Keg 6: Witguy Bier

Old 04-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #24
jfkriege
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is it due to the curvature of the tank?

This was the main reason that I silver soldered my system together (that, and everything else on it was silver soldered). My tank diameter is small enough that it was going to be a big problem to get a seal.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:04 PM   #25
juvinious
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 4 Posts

Just did mine this weekend, here you can see the enclosures and the elements inside:

Bottled: Pyment | Strawberry Melomel

Old 04-11-2010, 09:34 PM   #26
slakwhere
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

juvinious, how'd you affix the gang box to the keggle?

Old 04-11-2010, 09:44 PM   #27
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I run an element in a keggle and have had issues with the faceplate of the element rusting (not the element itself) I know you can get an aluminum locknut for the inside, and that should take the galvanic corrosion instead of the mild steel. Still experimenting on how to keep it from rusting.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 04-11-2010, 10:17 PM   #28
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
I run an element in a keggle and have had issues with the faceplate of the element rusting (not the element itself) I know you can get an aluminum locknut for the inside, and that should take the galvanic corrosion instead of the mild steel. Still experimenting on how to keep it from rusting.
Can you explain this a bit more? Which piece is mild steel, the bit that the element actually sticks out of? Is it plated or anything [delete - because AFAIK the SS should be the one to suffer galvanic corrosion but since it is large in comparison to the mild steel this should not be a big issue] (might actually have that around the wrong way now i think of it, have to check).

Edit: yes it seems that I was completely wrong and had it the opposite way round. Small amount of "some anode" compared to larger SS = bad and anode will corrode quicker.

Last edited by mattd2; 04-11-2010 at 10:28 PM.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:34 PM   #29
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yes I am referring to the part the element comes out of, not the element itself. I had a thread about this a while back and someone posted that their element in an aluminum kettle = no problem. Another person used a aluminum nut instead of a SS one to hold the element in and didn't have rust issues. I was planning on building my new system with a piece of aluminum flashing held to the keg by the SS nut but may get the aluminum nut instead. OTOH it was also mentioned that perhaps just throwing a piece of aluminum in the kettle would be enough. I currently have the mild steel parts of my element coated with an epoxy to keep them from rusting, but would prefer to get away from that as it takes extra time and effort to put that on.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 04-11-2010, 10:42 PM   #30
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
Yes I am referring to the part the element comes out of, not the element itself. I had a thread about this a while back and someone posted that their element in an aluminum kettle = no problem. Another person used a aluminum nut instead of a SS one to hold the element in and didn't have rust issues. I was planning on building my new system with a piece of aluminum flashing held to the keg by the SS nut but may get the aluminum nut instead. OTOH it was also mentioned that perhaps just throwing a piece of aluminum in the kettle would be enough. I currently have the mild steel parts of my element coated with an epoxy to keep them from rusting, but would prefer to get away from that as it takes extra time and effort to put that on.
That is a very good thing to find out before putting the element in, thanks heaps for bringing it up!
I was thinking if you spaced out the SS from the wall with a (appropriate type of platsic/rubber) washer so there is not metal to metal contact this should stop the galvanic corrosion, however it might be a bit hard to make sure there is no contact betwen the element thread and keggle wall.

Quick Reply