Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Motorizing a MaltMill - Guidance needed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Default Motorizing a MaltMill - Guidance needed

Yo. As discussed over here, I use a JSP MaltMill model P (Pre-set).... This means that I have a non-adjustable .045 gap, and as a result, am getting a fairly minimal/conservative crush, and my efficiencies are stagnating in the low-to-mid 60%'s. I ain't buying a drill. My 18V Coleman cordless won't turn it, and the cheap plug-in drill I bought started smoking instantly on the first use. I don't want an expensive drill, as I don't do projects around the house, and have no need for a Cadillac of drills. So, since I have wimpy arms and 9 lbs of grain tires me out, I want to motorize my MaltMill, that way I can easily run my grains through twice for a better crush. I have virtually no electric skills, virtually no math/physics skills, and my past DIY projects have come out uglier than BierMuncher's junk.

So where do I start? I need a motor. I need suggestions - cheap is best. I'd like to keep the entire project, including pulleys, under $60. I've heard of people using wiper motors from cars? I found This Site linked to from the MaltMill home page... and from there I found This Site that sells motors... but the motor that the guy in the FAQ bought is no longer sold, and I can't seem to find anything comparable. He used a 1/3 HP, the best I've found is a 1/15 HP? ... This one is 1/30 HP but is pre-wired. It's a bit high RPM though.

I know I'll need to fabricate a base, I think I can handle that part with a 24"x24" pre-cut shelf from the hardware store, and then use my jigsaw to cut an appropriate opening. Then, glue the shelf base to the existing JSP base, and clamp tightly.

I found this post to help with the pulley sizing and belt sizing... and I used to work at an auto parts store, so I have at least basic familiarity with V-Belts. I'll gladly take a cheap source on pulleys though, if anyone has one - I saw the $30 mamma jammas over at Grainger and nearly peed myself. But mostly, I need some help filling in the first half of this project. Thanks.

aaaacwg40e0aaaaaah21fw.jpg  

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Last edited by Chriso; 12-04-2011 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Image link was broken

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2008, 03:15 PM   #2
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I wouldn't go any lower than a 1/8hp motor. You should be able to find some on ebay at decent prices. The 1/3hp 1725 are the most common and work perfect for running a mill. you might just call up some old guys that you know or find an old washing machine or something, it seems like everyone has those sitting around.

As for the sheaves I don't know of anywhere cheaper than grainger, you will probably just have to suck it up and order from them.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
KiltLifter
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Old swamp coolers have all the parts you need.

Washing Machines or Dryers may have many of the right parts as well.

Try Home Depot or Lowes for the pulleys, in the swamp cooler section. They sell an adjustable pulley (motor end) that may help with speed adjustment.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
HenryHill

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have an old JSP that I got free, and I just finished setting up my grain mill stand last night. I just used an old piece of shipping crate-2x4 perimeter and 3/4 plywood, and four 2x4's for legs, screwed together with deck screws.

I cut a spacer from a 4x4 to raise the mill up to the height of my Bodine 170rpm AC Gearmotor-1/6hp. I used Lovejoy couplings from McMaster-Carr, with a Buna spider to join them. It is wired to a metal outlet box which is screwed to the top of the stand, and a pigtail from there to plug into the wall. It is controlled from a standard toggle-type light switch. The whole length is minimal, and there is no belt assembly to have to guard-I think it is cheaper to direct couple, too. By a lot.

I will send you pics and part numbers if you are interested-I wasn't going to document it, since it is just a workhorse and not built with new lumber. It is modeled after the BM Industries™ Keggle Engineering , I didn't spend any time at all cobbling together a stand, but it's built to last a lifetime.

I have yet to run a trial, but it is surely more torquey than a cordless drill.

Kiltlifter: WTF is a swamp cooler??

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 09-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #5
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Still not finding much for motors... eBay options are pricier than I thought they were gonna be.... Not turning up anything under $60 or $70.... Looks like a Heat Pump motor would be perfect, 1/5 HP and about 1075 RPM.... but those are in the $80+ range...

Would 1/11 hp, 415 rpm, 1.6 amp be enough to drive a mill? It'd save on large pulleys, I could get away with a 1:1.5 drive ratio.

There's this one... just gotta wait and hope that eBay comes through... at 83 RPM , I'll need to boost the speed up 3:1 with sheaves... but it should be nice and torquey?

Any other super secret sources for these things?

HVAC people, If I were to go to a local repair shop and ask really politely, would I get laughed at and chased off? Are these things "precious"? Or are they dime-a-dozen if you're "in the trade"? I always feel bad asking for favors on stuff like this.

I'd like to spend less than $30 on the motor so that I still have money for the base, sheaves, and belt. I know, it appears that's a pipe dream, but I can still hope. :/

Henry, where'd you find your Bodine? A picture would be great, always looking for inspiration I'm not planning a stand, I'm going to try to keep it somewhat balanced so that it just sits atop the bucket, and stores fairly easily. Eventually I'll buy a prefab cabinet and counter top, cut a hole, and mount it for good. But that'll be in quite a while, after the walk-in cooler is done.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 09-11-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
There's this one... just gotta wait and hope that eBay comes through... at 83 RPM , I'll need to boost the speed up 3:1 with sheaves... but it should be nice and torquey?
Gearing up isn't very ideal, gearing down gives you the mechanical advantage and in turn much more power. I think a 1/8hp motor will be fine but you are going to want one that is in the 1700rpm range so you can reduce the speed to end up with 1hp at the mill.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:21 PM   #7
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

I think I get what you mean... 1700 RPM @ 1:8 Gear Ratio = 212 RPM @ 1 HP. 1:8 gear ratio is chosen because 1/8 HP / 1 HP = a factor of 8.

Did I do that right? OMG I'm remembering math skills?

So, let's pick numbers out of the air, say I buy a 1/5 HP motor that spins at 800 RPM, and I want to run my mill at the same arbitrary 212 RPM number. 800 RPM / 212 RPM = Roughly 1:3.75 Ratio. 1/5 HP * Factor of 3.75 = .75 total HP at the axle, running at 212 RPM.

Am I doing this right?

Old 09-11-2008, 06:31 PM   #8
wihophead
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Actually you are increasing the torque not the Horsepower since HP is a product of the torque and speed. So the actual HP stays about the same (there are some minor loses in the reduction process) and the torque increases.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #9
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Dayton 6K722A Split Phase Motor HP 1/4 RPM 1725 - eBay (item 280263829925 end time Sep-11-08 18:20:04 PDT)
This one is almost exactly the specs you were mentioning, Tonedef. Tempting. It's $10 more than I wanted to spend on the entire project, but it is pre-wired and has a pulley sheave already on it. I would just need a belt, and a sheave for the mill.

Starting to wish I hadn't bought my Ranco earlier this morning... But don't wanna wait another 2 weeks to buy this, I really need to be motorized before I undertake the 999 Barleywine. I'm never gonna be able to crush 30 lbs of grain, twice, by hand.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #10
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
Dayton 6K722A Split Phase Motor HP 1/4 RPM 1725 - eBay (item 280263829925 end time Sep-11-08 18:20:04 PDT)
This one is almost exactly the specs you were mentioning, Tonedef. Tempting. It's $10 more than I wanted to spend on the entire project, but it is pre-wired and has a pulley sheave already on it. I would just need a belt, and a sheave for the mill.
That motor would work great, but I don't know about the sheave. You might want to ask the seller what size it is, looks to be about 2.5" or so. If that is the case you are going to either be running your mill VERY fast or having a giant pulley on the mill.

You might consider calling an appliance repair shop or something like that and asking if they have something like that and offer them $20-$30.

Quick Reply