*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Motorized my JSP Malt Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #11
Catt22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio-Ed View Post
I think that is exactly why... It is VERY hard to start if you have grain in the mill even with the factory opening in the hopper. I think it would be next to impossible if you had grain along the entire length of the rollers.

I always have mine running before adding any grain.
Yeah, which sort of negates the need for the 10" long rollers in the first place. OTOH, IIRC on the adjustable JSP's, only one end of the roller is moved to change the gap and the opposite ends are fixed in position. The long rollers would help minimize the variance in the gap across the feed zone, so that may have something to do with it too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #12
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
Yeah, which sort of negates the need for the 10" long rollers in the first place. OTOH, IIRC on the adjustable JSP's, only one end of the roller is moved to change the gap and the opposite ends are fixed in position. The long rollers would help minimize the variance in the gap across the feed zone, so that may have something to do with it too.
You are correct about only one end being adjustable. The fixed end has gears so both rollers are driven.

Off topic, but I really like the JSP, I had both the JSP and a Barley Crusher at the same time (I told both vendors I was going to return one)... The Barley Crusher is nice, but about half the weight of the JSP.

Even though the opening is kind of narrow, the JSP devours grain.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:35 PM   #13
djc
Recipes 

Do you really need the capacitor for that motor?

Old 07-21-2010, 01:38 AM   #14
MW66

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default Updated with extra capacity hopper

I made this oversize hopper out of scrap plexiglass and some MDF that cost me less than 2 bucks. I'm guessing that this will now hold about 12 pounds of grain. I flush mounted rare earth magnets and used some epoxy to glue them into the OEM hopper surface edge and into the new hopper edge so that they will align and hold the hopper, but also allow me to remove it easily.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:39 AM   #15
MW66

Recipes 

I guess so since it came with the motor. I think it allows the initial start up to get the motor turning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc View Post
Do you really need the capacitor for that motor?

Old 07-22-2010, 04:37 AM   #16
rockytoptim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I actually started mine with no grain in it without the capacitor hooked up but it was slow to spin up.

On another note I put 14 lbs of grain in mine and it would start with the grain in it. I guess I will have to start the motor before putting the grain in.

On Tap: Bee Cave Robust Porter
On Tap: Bee Cave OktoberFest
On Tap: Bee Cave Kolsch
Primary: None
Up next: ????

Old 07-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #17
Ohio-Ed

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytoptim View Post
I actually started mine with no grain in it without the capacitor hooked up but it was slow to spin up.

On another note I put 14 lbs of grain in mine and it would start with the grain in it. I guess I will have to start the motor before putting the grain in.
I'm guessing you mean "wouldn't start"?
I think you definitely want the mill running before you add the grain... It takes a LOT of torque to start with grain in it. I added grain first, the first time I tried to use it and my 18v cordless drill wouldn't touch it, put the hand crank on it... and was SHOCKED how hard it was to turn. I ended up emptying the hopper and started over.

Also, how do you have the motor mounted? Can't really tell from the pics.

You've inspired me... I've had good success with my 18v cordless but I've been meaning to motorize my MaltMill for sometime, ordered the motor and couplings this week.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:34 PM   #18
MW66

Recipes 

I haven't tried milling yet, but I am really curious if mine will start with the hopper filled. My mill, the JSP sounds different than yours which I'm assuming is the Barley Crusher. I don't have any recent plans for brewing, so the crushing will have to wait. However, I will say that my cordless Panasonic (18.8v) turns my mill with relatively little problem even with the hopper full. Although, last time that I did a IIPA with 16 pounds, the drill got pretty hot by the time that I was done milling. I mounted my motor with a very simple square U-shaped threaded hanger that I bought at the hardware store. The bracket stated that it was meant for hanging lumber. I shimed the back end of the motor with some shim wood stock to keep it level with my mill and then I only bolted the motor onto the table. There is a flat section on the motor that allows the bracket to get very good contact and it's really solid. I'm really inexperienced when it comes to electricity. Originally I had everything wired and the motor would not turn on. I switch two of the wires on the power switch and then everything worked as it should. I'm assuming that I wired the capitor correctly.

Quote:
I think you definitely want the mill running before you add the grain... It takes a LOT of torque to start with grain in it. I added grain first, the first time I tried to use it and my 18v cordless drill wouldn't touch it, put the hand crank on it... and was SHOCKED how hard it was to turn. I ended up emptying the hopper and started over.

You've inspired me... I've had good success with my 18v cordless but I've been meaning to motorize my MaltMill for sometime, ordered the motor and couplings this week.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #19
rockytoptim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:

Yes I meant it wouldn't start with the 14 lbs of grain in it. Here is how I mounted mine.

On Tap: Bee Cave Robust Porter
On Tap: Bee Cave OktoberFest
On Tap: Bee Cave Kolsch
Primary: None
Up next: ????

Old 07-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #20
vincemash
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I love the large hopper you made, and the Plexiglas is cool so you can see the grain.....and the magnets are a great idea....you've inspired me!

I have the same mill ....I wired mine in with a run capacitor and a start capacitor, the start cap is wired to a button on my stand so if I ever forget to start the mill before adding grain I gust hit the button momentarily and it kick up the torque.... I bet i could fill the entire length of the rollers with wheat and get it started with my "turbo" button.

my build is here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/moto...ml#post1998134

Quick Reply