New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > More Burner Questions....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 01:54 AM   #1
Plankton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default More Burner Questions....

Ok, I have purchased two 10 nozzle jet burners...I want to run my HLT and boil kettle using these burners. Additionally, I want to put the HLT on automation, which I will use a love temp controller. I want to install the boil kettle so I can turn it on/off with a switch on my electronic control box. For the pilot light, I would like to use some kind of standing pilot (i.e. not an electrical starter for the ignition). BTW, I will be using propane as a fuel source.

I need some help on how to set these things up...should I run these hight pressure or low pressure, what pilot do I need, what solenoids will I need, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
jmer1234
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If they are the Chinese wok burner style, they are definitely low pressure. You will need a .5 psi regulator. The trick is to make sure every element from the tank to the burner is rated to supply the total amount of btus that the burners will consume. These are probably in the neighborhood of 75k btu, which means you wil need to supply 150 k+ btu. I am running 2 21 jet burners through a 200k regulator with slight drop when running both. I am planning on changing my boil kettle to a 10 jet burner soon since 21 is overkill for the boil. Many folks here will say to get an adjustable regulator, but given that you really need low pressure, but high volume, the oxygen mixture is never very good with these. They work, but not efficiently or ideally. Look at the low pressure regulator sold by morebeer.com.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:02 PM   #3
Plankton
Recipes 

Ok...here is what I am thinking. I will use a high pressure regulator from the bottle to a black pipe manifold. From the manifold, it will split to the HLT and the boil kettle. Then a valve attached to each end which will reduce the propane to low pressure. Then, finish the line off with the burner.

The boil kettle valve will be controlled electronically with a on/off switch. The HLT will set up on automation.

How is this...so far?

Old 09-01-2011, 01:37 AM   #4
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 811 Times on 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankton View Post
Ok...here is what I am thinking. I will use a high pressure regulator from the bottle to a black pipe manifold. From the manifold, it will split to the HLT and the boil kettle. Then a valve attached to each end which will reduce the propane to low pressure. Then, finish the line off with the burner.

The boil kettle valve will be controlled electronically with a on/off switch. The HLT will set up on automation.

How is this...so far?
A valve is not a pressure regulator. Even a needle valve downstream of the actual regulator is probably going to be mighty touchy, and some electronic controls will lock up if they see too much pressure...

Cheers!

Old 09-01-2011, 01:50 AM   #5
kladue
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 40 Posts

Most of the automated systems are built using the 10" Banjo/Hurricane burners because these burners work well at all fire settings when used close to the bottom of the kettles. Automation is least expensive using Honeywell standing pilot gas valves and low pressure LP or NG as a fuel source. Burner conversion parts for both fuels are shelf items at a couple vendors, and gas valves with standing pilots run about $80 - $90 for a complete burner control setup, with a shared 24V transformer, and a single 2 stage low pressure regulator.
Another unsafe but cheaper route is to use a solenoid valve for gas control to burners, but if pilot goes out, you might be a contestant for the darwin awards and make the 5 o'clock news.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:51 AM   #6
Plankton
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladue View Post
Most of the automated systems are built using the 10" Banjo/Hurricane burners because these burners work well at all fire settings when used close to the bottom of the kettles. Automation is least expensive using Honeywell standing pilot gas valves and low pressure LP or NG as a fuel source. Burner conversion parts for both fuels are shelf items at a couple vendors, and gas valves with standing pilots run about $80 - $90 for a complete burner control setup, with a shared 24V transformer, and a single 2 stage low pressure regulator.
Another unsafe but cheaper route is to use a solenoid valve for gas control to burners, but if pilot goes out, you might be a contestant for the darwin awards and make the 5 o'clock news.

If I understand correctly, I will should run a dual stage low pressure regulator to get the psi to 0.5 to supply the gas manifold line, which will be 1/2" black iron. From the gas manifold line, I will need to run some type of honeywell gas valve with standing pilot.

I have read on some boards of a thermocouple safety switch. Do all of the gas valves with standing pilot lights have the thermocouple safety switch?

Do you have a recommendation for the gas valves?

Old 09-01-2011, 11:55 PM   #7
Plankton
Recipes 

Here are two options I am contemplating:
A HONEYWELL VR8200A2124 - 24 Vac Dual Standing Pilot Gas Valve with 1/2 in. x 1/2 in. inlet\outlet, standard opening and 3.5 in. wc pressure regulator setting with a and a Q314A586 pilot burner. I think I will need a intermittent pilot controller and 24DC converter as well. Can someone confirm this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VR8200A2124-HONEYWELL-GAS-VALVE-VR8200A-2124-/120667936747?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c185e 97eb#ht_3363wt_975

Another option is to use 1/2" Electric Solenoid Valve 110-V AC VITON SEAL B21V with the same pilot light.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemNext&colp=1&item=29057788149 8&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a7ca999a#ht_209 6wt_956

What are your thoughts?

Old 09-02-2011, 08:26 AM   #8
JuanMoore
SACD
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3180 Times on 3088 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
If I understand correctly, I will should run a dual stage low pressure regulator to get the psi to 0.5 to supply the gas manifold line, which will be 1/2" black iron. From the gas manifold line, I will need to run some type of honeywell gas valve with standing pilot.
He was suggesting a two stage valve, not regulator. This means that it actally has two valves inside of it, one held open by the thermocouple that will shut off if the pilot goes out, and the second controlled by an external input source.

Quote:
Do all of the gas valves with standing pilot lights have the thermocouple safety switch?
Not neccesarily, which is why a two stage valve was suggested.

Quote:
Here are two options I am contemplating:
Looks to me like the first valve linked will work fine. The second valve linked will also work fine, but will not have the thermocouple safety feature. Only you can place a monetary value on the safety of your system. If you decide to use the solenoid valves, I suggest never leaving the burner/s running unsupervised for any length of time.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
Plankton
Recipes 

I have decided on the HW valve. Here is the question, to run this with an Auber PID, what PID do I need? The valve is 24v?? Does the PID need to be the same power?

Can I run one these valves with a on/off switch?

Old 10-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
Plankton
Recipes 

Can anyone out there shed some light on this?

Quick Reply