Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Monitoring/controlling with Linux on the cheap

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #221
cyclogenesis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Anyone know if some one sells a 1-wire sensor nicely packaged into a serial cable like this:
http://martybugs.net/electronics/tempsensor/hardware.cgi
?

Drinking: Dogtoberfest, Autumn Harvest Amber, Fire in the Belly Imperial Stout.
Fermenting: V for Vienna, 2013 Bock.
In planning: TEA for two, First Flakes American Brown.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 04:14 AM   #222
scruffymmh
Recipes 

I'm wondering if anyone here would be willing to work closely with me (through PM, email, possibly even phone if necessary) to get one of these remote monitor/temp control setups built. My fermentation occurs at a remote location and it's a PITA to drive to check on it. You can imagine how badly I need something like this. I would be willing to compensate you for your time.

I have a pretty strong background in a lot of computer-related technology but haven't dived much into the hardware components we're talking or the programming that's discussed in the thread. Many of the fundamentals are no problem for me like installing a proper OS (linkux distro, windows), configuring my router properly, setting up a remote desktop client to access the laptop. It's really the temp sensor and circuit boards setup, along with getting the scripts all set and maybe a little front-end web coding (basically the meat of the whole setup) that I would need help with.

I realize it's a unique request, but thought I'd try because I could really benefit from this. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #223
GatorDad
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Scruffy,

It's actually a lot easier that it may seem. Order up the parts and I'll help as best as I can. No compensation - you can just owe me a beer if you like.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:24 AM   #224
ThreeDogsNE
Good for what ales you
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Hey Scruffy and GatorDad, would you two please keep the project visible on here? I'm typing this from an older computer down in my brew room which is running Linux Mint, which I installed because I got lazy after a few years of tweaking Debian. I have another couple of older machines sitting nearby on a shelf (only two, because I just cleared some out!). I'm eager to automate my brewing system, and have been looking at the BCS systems. I'd love to use these machines, and not a BCS system. However, I would need to be led by the hand through the circuit board and temp sensor and scripts. So, if you're going down that path, I'd like to observe and (hopefully) learn.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:36 AM   #225
scruffymmh
Recipes 

Yeah, I'm in a bit of a holding pattern now b/c of things going on. I did order the sample temp sensor and relays, but I've been reading over this thread a lot trying to make sense of it all, and read up on the parts, so that I have half a clue about what's going on. I'll post with any progress I make, but I'm thinking my next post will be a bunch of directed questions, the answers to which will really get me going on track

Old 08-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #226
idiosyncronaut
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would also love to follow along as someone attempts to complete this.

I can program in a half-dozen languages, run *nix boxes at home, and won't have much trouble from that side of the equation. What I have just about absolutely zero knowledge of is how these hardware components work and interact at a low-level. I don't know an ohm from a hole in the ground.

Bought some temperature sensors and an Arduino in hopes of patching something together over the summer, but never quite got there.

Primary - Zombie Reagan (single hopped citra IPA, take #2) [Batch #3]
Bottled - Ancient of Days - (american pale wheat ale) [Batch #2]
Bottled - Zombie Lincoln (single hopped citra IPA) [Batch #1]

Old 09-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #227
scruffymmh
Recipes 

So I've reviewed the thread in full and have some questions (see below). I am pretty sure I understand what is going on, but I wanted to recap for my own sake (to be sure I understand) and also to hopefully help anyone else out there who is thinking of doing this but needs some help.

So we're monitoring temp(s) with temp sensor(s). The DS18S20 from Maxim is one example of a temperature sensor. That communicates via a wire to some sort of controller that has relays that are open/closed by switches. In one example, a relay of the controller closes to cause power to be applied to a heating/cooling device in response to a sensed temperature. Each temp sensor communicates the sensed temperature via its own wire to the controller. From the controller, that temperature data is communicated (via the 1-wire standard) to a 1-wire adapter that plugs into a computer. the original thread posted an example serial 1-wire adapter but I would need a USB one like this) instead. The computer is programmed to control the controller through the USB 1-wire adapter and wire leading from that adapter to the controller , and the controller receives commands from the computer to activate the switch(es) to open or close the relay(s) of the controller.

A cooling/heating device is rigged to a controller relay so that when the relay is closed, the heating/cooling device turns on. But, because of the acceptable amperage that the relay of the controller can handle, some external device (an SSR - solid state relay?) is needed with a relay that can handle the amperage, whereby the closing of the relay of the controller activates the external device to allow power to be applied to the heating/cooling device.

I ordered the sample DS2406+ (switch) and DS18S20+ (temp sensor) parts from Maxim. However, doesn't the switch need to be soldered to some mainboard? If so, I don't see that mentioned in the original post with the necessary mainboard listed.

I'd like to do this project with, ideally, no soldering. I see the three suggested sensor/swtiches posted in the first post, but it seems like the temp sensor(s) aren't part of those units at all - each temp sensor would need to be wired into an input of that unit. Does that hobby board unit basically have the DS2406+ switches (or similar) already on it?

So, I have a bunch of questions and could use some guidance for starters on the following things. Some may depend on pre-requisites like what board I get, so if it makes sense to address these in series (I order the board first, then determine compatible components), then no problem.

-What kind of "controller" (i.e. mainboard) should I start with if I want to avoid soldering? The hobby board unit looks like it is what I want - does anyone know if there is a cheaper version that doesn't have 8 inputs and 8 relays? I'm thinking I really only need 4 max at this point.
-What is an effective way to mount the mainboard into a usable housing, such as a project box?
-Are the DS18S20+ temp sensors (which I have two of) a solid starting point in terms of the actual temp sensor, that will work regardless of what I end up doing downstream at the controller and beyond?
-How do I encapsulate/enclose the temp sensor into something that fits nicely into a 1/4" thermowell? What kind of wire should I hook up to the temp sensor that will play nicely with the controller board I get, and how do I hook that up to the sensor and to the board?
-What do I need to go from the controller board to the external relay that will actually close the power circuit to my fridge/heating element, and how do I hook that up to an output/relay/switch of the controller board? Is it probabyl best to include that as part of a second project box with outlet(s)?
-Is the USB 1-wire adapter that I linked above the appropriate device for this (yes I'm going into USB, not serial on my laptop)? I am confident that it is, but need to verify.
-That USB adapter adapts to RJ-11 - is that standard telephone cord, where I can use a standard telephone cable to go to my controller/mainboard?
-any preferred linux distros? I was thinking one of the more mainstream like ubuntu b/c I need a dumbed down version

Old 09-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #228
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiosyncronaut View Post
Bought some temperature sensors and an Arduino in hopes of patching something together over the summer, but never quite got there.
This might help...

Old 09-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #229
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffymmh View Post
So I've reviewed the thread in full and have some questions (see below). I am pretty sure I understand what is going on, but I wanted to recap for my own sake (to be sure I understand) and also to hopefully help anyone else out there who is thinking of doing this but needs some help.

So we're monitoring temp(s) with temp sensor(s). The DS18S20 from Maxim is one example of a temperature sensor. That communicates via a wire to some sort of controller that has relays that are open/closed by switches. In one example, a relay of the controller closes to cause power to be applied to a heating/cooling device in response to a sensed temperature. Each temp sensor communicates the sensed temperature via its own wire to the controller. From the controller, that temperature data is communicated (via the 1-wire standard) to a 1-wire adapter that plugs into a computer. the original thread posted an example serial 1-wire adapter but I would need a USB one like this) instead. The computer is programmed to control the controller through the USB 1-wire adapter and wire leading from that adapter to the controller , and the controller receives commands from the computer to activate the switch(es) to open or close the relay(s) of the controller.

A cooling/heating device is rigged to a controller relay so that when the relay is closed, the heating/cooling device turns on. But, because of the acceptable amperage that the relay of the controller can handle, some external device (an SSR - solid state relay?) is needed with a relay that can handle the amperage, whereby the closing of the relay of the controller activates the external device to allow power to be applied to the heating/cooling device.

I ordered the sample DS2406+ (switch) and DS18S20+ (temp sensor) parts from Maxim. However, doesn't the switch need to be soldered to some mainboard? If so, I don't see that mentioned in the original post with the necessary mainboard listed.

I'd like to do this project with, ideally, no soldering. I see the three suggested sensor/swtiches posted in the first post, but it seems like the temp sensor(s) aren't part of those units at all - each temp sensor would need to be wired into an input of that unit. Does that hobby board unit basically have the DS2406+ switches (or similar) already on it?

So, I have a bunch of questions and could use some guidance for starters on the following things.
Well, all of my answers are based on my experience so far, YMMV.

Quote:
What kind of "controller" (i.e. mainboard) should I start with if I want to avoid soldering? The hobby board unit looks like it is what I want - does anyone know if there is a cheaper version that doesn't have 8 inputs and 8 relays? I'm thinking I really only need 4 max at this point.
If you want a dedicated controller, I built a networked temperature monitor from Freetronics called the EtherMega. There are libraries available that directly monitor and control 1-wire devices, and as long as you use parasitic mode, no soldering would be required.

If you want to stick with linux, I'm currently playing with the Raspberry Pi, which is a slick little $35 card that uses a debian linux variation for the ARM chip. Adafruit has a free distro that has I2C and 1-wire baked in, and includes wired ethernet and really easy wireless support. this board has enough oomph to run the switches and thermos as well as display them on-line.

Quote:
What is an effective way to mount the mainboard into a usable housing, such as a project box?
No good answer for that one yet...

Quote:
Are the DS18S20+ temp sensors (which I have two of) a solid starting point in terms of the actual temp sensor, that will work regardless of what I end up doing downstream at the controller and beyond?
Yup. I am also currently looking at the DS2407 1-wire switch to control SSRs.

Quote:
How do I encapsulate/enclose the temp sensor into something that fits nicely into a 1/4" thermowell? What kind of wire should I hook up to the temp sensor that will play nicely with the controller board I get, and how do I hook that up to the sensor and to the board?
I'm using standard 4-conductor telephone wire. This does require minimal soldering. Then the whole shebang fits into the thermowell, and can be sealed with a food-safe sealant.

Quote:
What do I need to go from the controller board to the external relay that will actually close the power circuit to my fridge/heating element, and how do I hook that up to an output/relay/switch of the controller board? Is it probably best to include that as part of a second project box with outlet(s)?
Working on that as we speak...

Quote:
Is the USB 1-wire adapter that I linked above the appropriate device for this (yes I'm going into USB, not serial on my laptop)? I am confident that it is, but need to verify. That USB adapter adapts to RJ-11 - is that standard telephone cord, where I can use a standard telephone cable to go to my controller/mainboard?
If you are talking about the Maxim device, it doesn't appear to me to be the telephone standard 4-wire setup, so I don't think so.

Quote:
any preferred linux distros? I was thinking one of the more mainstream like ubuntu b/c I need a dumbed down version
If you're using an old laptop with limited memory, use whatever works. I'm not a big fan of Ubuntu (I prefer CentOS for its long-term stability, but the current version is too memory-intensive to fit in my old 386MB laptop), but it should work just fine.

Just as an aside, I've pretty much abandoned the old-laptop approach in favor of a credit card-sized alternative.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #230
kladue
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts

If you are willing to work with I2C there is a fairly cheap board from Gravitech that will give 16-10 Ma digital outputs. I have one and have been working with it and an 12 bit ADC chip to see what could be had with the combination and work out the code needed to get meaningful responses.
Currently working on a PCB that takes both chips and a 5V reference to give 16- opto isolated 1A AC/2A DC outputs and 8-12 bit 0-5V inputs with switch selectable I2C address.

Quick Reply