The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Monitoring/controlling with Linux on the cheap

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011, 10:44 PM   #141
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I'm finally getting around to finishing my temp probes today. The mash temp probe is complete and in working order, reporting temperature to the server. I'm going to make two more probes and connect them. Pics to follow. I'm excited!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2011, 07:05 AM   #142
lavinjj
Recipes 

I'm interested in how you built the temp probes. I'm working on a similar type of project and need all thee ideas I can get.

Jim Lavin - Otaku Brewer
http://otakubrewing.com

Old 08-15-2011, 02:43 AM   #143
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Here are some pics of the thermowells I made. I made two of them out of 1/8" NPT male pipe plugs. I used stainless tubing that's about the same diameter as a Corny dip tube to protect the sensor wiring/pigtail. The sensors are DS18S20's.

First I milled pockets into the back of the plug - a somewhat deep blind hole for the sensor, and a shallower one to hold the tubing. Two appropriately sized drill bits would be just as effective.

The parts fit together like so:

I silver soldered the tubing in place using flux coated 45% silver solder.

I wired the sensor with a length of phone cord and used JB weld to hold the cord in place.

The thermowells I built using this method are installed and working in my steam generator and boil kettle. Here's a picture of a slightly different one in my mash tun. It's made from a thermowell from www.mcmaster.com given similar treatment as the ones above, including a piece of the same tubing at the sensor end to improve response time (the thermowell had very thick walls). I TIG welded the tip of the tubing and silver soldered it into the thermowell.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:53 AM   #144
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgruelle View Post
Add the following to you constructor and the threshold marker will be hidden.

Code:
thresholdVisible: false
This didn't work.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:08 AM   #145
cgruelle
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
This didn't work.
You're talking about hiding the little red triangle, right? I wonder if I have a different version of steelseries.js? My copy is on my laptop at work. I'll dig it out tomorrow and post it if you want to take a look at it.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:34 AM   #146
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Exactly. I'm guessing you're using a different version. It appears there are several available.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #147
lavinjj
Recipes 

Yuri,

Thanks for the quick overview on how you built your temp probes. Now I think I can come up with something similar for my rig.

Thanks!

Jim Lavin - Otaku Brewer
http://otakubrewing.com

Old 08-21-2011, 05:36 AM   #148
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

I'm going to do a 1wire brew very soon! I test ran the rig tonight.

The DS2438 is extremely easy to use if you need a DA converter. I'm using one to read the output of an MPX4250 pressure sensor on the steam generator.

DON'T use parasite mode for DS18S20 temp sensors. In that mode, they get wildly inaccurate as temperatures approach or exceed 185ºF (85ºC). I wish I'd known that from the start. I need to rebuild my sensors at some point.

Also, using 4 conductor phone wire will not suffice if you don't want to use parasite mode. The USB dongle's power output is on pin 1, which is not present in RJ-11 jacks and connectors. You could rig a custom crossover-like cable to overcome that limitation and still use 4 conductor phone wire, but it seems there is a bit of a standard in 1wire devices, and you risk damaging a pre-built device, should you ever add one, by creating your own wiring standard.

Overall I'm very happy. My scripts are extremely simple at this point, and my webpage displays all sensor data correctly. There are a few loose ends to tie up, but I could (and might) brew beer tomorrow.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:30 AM   #149
Chuginator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 111

I might add that for those of you on the cheap, don't forget that you can also build a serial interface for the DS18S20.

If I recall (it's been 5 years) I got the circuit off "martybugs" or some such.

Found it: http://martybugs.net/electronics/tem...r/hardware.cgi

Was also using 'digitemp' to grab the values and stuff them in rrdtool, both of which are just an apt-get away!

Old 08-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #150
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was wondering how to control temperatures from a computer. I have what I think is an absolutely *GROUNDBREAKING* idea I wanted to do that would require this. So this thread is interesting.

But at the same time, it's a bit discouraging for me. I know a lot about certain areas of computing (far more than anyone I know IRL, especially in areas such as networking, hardware, building/Modding, etc), have done SOME programming with some basic languages - but the most "capable" being vb/vb.net... so yeah, that says a lot right there. I may have dominated everyone in my 12th grade programming class, but I ended up with over 100% only because the bar is apparently set very low so that they don't fail 80% of the class (it seems people took these classes thinking it'd be a breeze since they use computers every day for IMing, email, etc).

I used an even more basic "learning" language called Turing and did basic (sequential) text reading & writing to file and even some basic controlling of a diorama (lights, motors, etc, through the parallel port), though I doubt that simple method of powering different devices by controlling output on each pin would be sufficient here. Heck that even reminds me of controlling "robots" via Lego Logo back when I was 12

But I digress. I'm feeling discouraged because I'm not even able to make heads or tails of even the stuff in the OP. My Linux experience amounts to some VERY basic SSH interaction with a server, and even then I've probably forgotten it all.

So I'm wondering how I can learn everything necessary to do this. I can learn pretty quickly in the right circumstances, but don't even know where I can find the information to get to where I want to be in a reasonable amount of time. Heck, I'm not really convinced I WILL be able to get this, which is the main reason this thread has me down a bit. I've done pretty well in university, and even graduated high school ranked #1 in my year (and that's including the rest of my classmates in the gifted program), but you'd never know if you saw me in class, as I'm the kind of person who needs constant clarifications, and who asks questions about nearly everything just in order to be able to frame the information in a way that can actually make sense to me. Rote memorization was always useless for me (and I was really lousy at math until I figured this out) - even in classes like calculus, I only excelled because I'd waste a ton of my teachers' time explaining "why" things were (if I didn't understand immediately), and so on tests and exams it was okay that I couldn't memorize formulas and procedures, because I'd be able to logically work them out (in the exact manner that you'd logically work things out while programming, actually.)

Anyways, I know that may seem like a lot of unnecessary information, but I'm hoping that maybe somebody will have the kindness not to simply TL;DR it, and maybe have an idea as to how I can learn what I need to learn:

All I really want is just to be able to parse times and the corresponding temperatures from a text file, and either use it to set a thermostat, or have the program itself act as the thermostat. The rest of this project is stuff I'm already capable of doing, but I'm convinced that this idea will have some serious legs if I can get a proof of concept up and running.

Despite my lack of experience with Linux, it will probably be a better idea in the long run, as I'll need something that can run very stable and, ideally, never need rebooting.

Quick Reply