Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Modifying a Chugger pump head

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
USCDiver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Modifying a Chugger pump head

I can't recall seeing this idea done much if at all on these boards, but it seems like an interested possibility. I was wondering about welding triclover fittings onto a Chugger pump head.

I have two stainless center inlet chugger pumps with Triclover X FPT fittings. The ID of a 1" triclover fitting is approx 7/8" which is larger than the ID of the 3/4" NPT on the inlet. However eyeballing the pump head it looks like it would fairly straightforward to cut off the threads and ream out the input to 7/8" and then weld on a 1" triclover ferrule. Something similar could be done with the output going from 1/2" NPT to 3/4" triclover.

I wonder though what effect this would have on the pump's performance. Would you still get good flow or would the increase in diameter of the input and output cause a problem? For much of the pumping done during a brew, the output is going to be throttled back anyway, but it would be nice to be able to transfer fluid from one place to another at a faster rate if possible. Not to mention, eliminating threaded connections, although that is a secondary concern, really.

Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 03:10 AM   #2
bob352
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I am trying something similar.
Using a mill to cut down the threads.
Using a lathe to enlarge a drilled hole in a TC cap.
Plan is to silver solder the pieces together.

But I know nothing about pumps and next to nothing about machining.
Already messed up a boring bar. It might be a while before I finish it.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:53 AM   #3
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1143 Times on 927 Posts

Can one weld cast stainless steel?

Cheers!

Old 01-05-2013, 03:56 AM   #4
lincoln
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It has been a while since I went through "pump class" (yes, an entire class devoted to centrifugal pumps. ) How big is the diameter of the impeller? How much are you enlarging the suction side by? Is it an open impeller design? (can you look in the suction and see a swirling pattern? On such a small close coupled pump it is hard to say, it may reduce the suction head of the pump, which if it is being operated with a flooded suction will not mater. How much is a replacement head?

yep, one can tig weld cast stainless.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:11 AM   #5
snaps10
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Someone did it not too long ago. Cant find the thread for the life of me though.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
cyberbackpacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Just an FYI just this morning brewershardware posted on Facebook they have their machinist is making up fixtures to do exactly this; machine the threads off and weld on tri clover fittings. The kicker though: "Price point looks like it's going to need to be $150ish for a complete replacement pump head"!

-Kevin
cyberbackpacker

Trinke Das Bier Das Du Gebraut Hast

Old 01-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

I do not use pumps or tri clover fittings just yet so excuse the question, why not make a reducer or coupling? Why cut a working pump and then weld a fitting to it? I guess I'm off to the net to understand what you folks are thinking of attempting. Cutting and welding stainless is a biatch without the right tools. Welding Cast materials can result in porous welds.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
USCDiver
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddad View Post
I do not use pumps or tri clover fittings just yet so excuse the question, why not make a reducer or coupling? Why cut a working pump and then weld a fitting to it? I guess I'm off to the net to understand what you folks are thinking of attempting. Cutting and welding stainless is a biatch without the right tools. Welding Cast materials can result in porous welds.
Yeah, of course you COULD do that! In fact, right now I use one of these for my input. But the ID of a 3/4" NPT is about 1/2" whereas the ID of a 1" TC is about 7/8". Also, I'd prefer not to have threaded connections post boil, although as mentioned, this is a secondary concern.

Tell me more about the dangers of welding cast stainless, I don't know much about it. Others above have said it is possible.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 942 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Drill and tap a TC coverplate to 3/4" female NPT, thread it all the way on, silver solder, grind flush on the gasket side. No welding.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #10
jyorger
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts

I did not change the diameter of the pump head. On the 3/4 inlet I threaded a stainless coupler on welded the tip then welded a tri clover on.

image-2222397711.jpg

Quick Reply