Old 01-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
pdxkale
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default MLT to lager chamber

I'm sure there have been other posts on this, but hopefully this will help someone in a similar situation.

Here in ye ol' Portland, it doesn't get cold enough to use your basement for lager conditioning, so I was trying to come up with ideas to solve the problem. I plan on getting a hold of a cheep chest freezer and a temp controller soon, but I really wanted to get this beer conditioning now, since it is my first lager.

A while ago, I stepped up to 10 gallon batches and moved from my 10 Gal round cooler to a 15 gallon square one, so I had this spare MLT just sitting around. I initially just thought I'd put water in the thing and let the carboy sit in there with some frozen water bottles, but buoyancy decided that a 6 gallon better bottle displaces too much water and really wants to float, even with 5 gallons of beer in it. So, I cut a hole in the lid with a dremel, put the frozen water bottles in and crammed the lid down until I could turn it enough to lock. Instant lagering chamber.

The whole thing cost me $3 for 6 water bottles from Fred Meyer, and it is holding a steady 38 degrees in my 58 degree basement.

lagering-chamber.jpg  

Screaming Weasel Brewing... beer so good it will make your weasel scream.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
bloodonblood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That's a great idea!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply