Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > MLT Build.. Few pics inside

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
TimSTi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default MLT Build.. Few pics inside

So today I finally built my MLT getting ready for the AG switch. I got a 50qt Igloo Ice Cube from target for $20. I used all 3/8" fittings and ball valve with 1/2" stainless steel braid. I drilled out at 5/8" hole which nipple fit snug, but it still leaked when I tested it. Bought some silicone sealant just in case so I applied some and have it drying right now. Real simple build. I lost 5* from 182-177 in 45 minutes with 5 gallons of water. Not too shabby I'd say. Lots of dead space and hopefully with grains in there it'll have a slightly lower loss. Can't wait to brew up my first AG tomorrow!

The object in the top right corner is just one of the hose clamps lying around.

I believe i spent about $45 total for everything. $20 cooler + $25 false bottom/drain parts.

Primary1:Empty
Primary2: Cream of 3 Crops 2/2
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Red Ale 11/23 - Imperial Winter Ale 1/5 - Orange/Cascade PA 2/16
Next Up: American Bock - Apfelwein

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S. Thompson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
Tech211
Recipes 

Looks great! I'd personally worry about the silicone on the inside (it looks like that's what you did), but I'm paranoid about leaching or melting.

I'm certain your temperature drop will be less with grain in there. It's also a good idea to pre-heat the MLT if you didn't do so.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #3
TimSTi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech211 View Post
Looks great! I'd personally worry about the silicone on the inside (it looks like that's what you did), but I'm paranoid about leaching or melting.

I'm certain your temperature drop will be less with grain in there. It's also a good idea to pre-heat the MLT if you didn't do so.
It says its resistant up to 400* so I dont see any issues.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S. Thompson

Old 02-02-2009, 03:06 AM   #4
JMSetzler
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I looked at that very cooler this afternoon. The only reason I didn't buy it was because it didn't already have a drain in it. The larger version of that same cooler is a little larger than I want, so I might have to keep looking around...

Old 02-02-2009, 03:08 AM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 980 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Am I missing something or did you leave out the all important Oring in the weldless design?

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-02-2009, 03:33 AM   #6
TimSTi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Am I missing something or did you leave out the all important Oring in the weldless design?
Good call. No oring. The inner washer is actually a rubber gasket that is a size too small so it forms a tight fit around the nipple. Tho it wasn't too tight cause I had a small leak. I ordered some stainless washers earlier to help the inside seal tighter. For now I used some iffy silicone sealant that held up.

Quick Reply