New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Mk-i

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
GreenMonti
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Mk-i

I decided to start a thread just on this topic. Hopefully things wont be so confusing. I should have started this thread a while ago. Sorry for the delay.

I built a Flash Boiler using Kladue's design. I built mine using copper tubing instead of SS. That build can be seen here. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/flash-boiler-153116/

The MK-I is Kladue's and my latest project. The idea behind it is that the brewery will have a single heat source and it will instantly heat both strike and sparge water when needed. Hot gases from the boiler can be vented outside and indoor brewing would be possible without being asphyxiated. It will use superheated steam for mash temp infusion and then will use steam for the kettle to boil. Since it instantly heats both strike and sparge water there is no need for a HLT. In the other thread is where I started trying to boil using the Flash Boiler as a heat source. The first idea was to use an old immersion chiller I had made out of 3/8" copper tubing. Things didn't go to well with the two different tests I did using that tubing. Looking back on that I don't see why it wouldn't work using the 3/8" tubing, I didn't have things setup right when using the 3/8". Oh well. So another copper coil setup was built and bingo, I got a boil. Now things are moving in another direction. Klade and I are designing a scaled down version of a calardria. Kladue is the brains and I am just the guy putting it together.

Here is a link where you can check out the idea of the calandria.
http://www.geabrewery.com/geabrewery/cmsresources.nsf/filenames/Jetstar_E.pdf/$file/Jetstar_E.pdf

I have been holding on to a brand new keg for about 5 years now. I have been waiting for the right build. I think now is the time. I cut out the top and cleaned it up to get it ready for the new life it has ahead of it.

The new calandria is made of 3.5" OD 304-304L SS tubing. I actually had to weld two pieces together cause I didn't have just one piece long enough for the job. The reduction is a piece of 321 SS from work. The cone is a piece of 718 Inconel from work. The hat is from the top of the keg. In these pics all the pieces are just sitting in place. There is a tube inside that the cone piece is sitting on for the pics. That is a 12" ruler.

This is about how things will be in the Keggle. This is being built to run 10 gallon batches.

Last edited by GreenMonti; 02-07-2010 at 10:45 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2010, 11:01 PM   #2
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 22

This is probably the coolest build on here! Do you know which breweries use the Jetstar?

Old 02-07-2010, 11:01 PM   #3
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 11 Posts

Most impressive. Do you plan on welding it together or making it threaded for ease of cleaning? I take it you will have 2 fittings in the bottom of the keg to pass the steam through?

primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:57 PM   #4
GreenMonti
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles View Post
This is probably the coolest build on here! Do you know which breweries use the Jetstar?
No, I don't. I am gonna look now though. You have me interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerthirty View Post
Most impressive. Do you plan on welding it together or making it threaded for ease of cleaning? I take it you will have 2 fittings in the bottom of the keg to pass the steam through?

The main section will be welded together so the steam chamber and the exchanger tubes will be sealed and separate. The end plates are being laser cut now. I hope to get them soon.

The top "hat" section will most likely have a fitting it screws into for clean ability. Other then that it wont need to be taken apart any further. The tubes will be cleaned using a bottle brush and the rest can just be washed. The way I plan on welding the top to the cone and the input line it should be totally sealed so just the outside needs a washing.

"I think" on this one I am going to run the steam input down through the top. My thinking is this will give me a couple things. 1. the input line can have the fitting on it to secure the hat section to the main body. 2. It will reduce the opening size a little more so the boiling wort will want "out" with more force. Keep things nice and hot in the exchanger. Also since I have already boiled using the copper coils, I noticed the input line during the boil. Since it came in from the top, the water around it also boiled and it boiled first at the surface. Allowing boiling action inside the reduction area as well. Since I am not going to pressurize the kettle like they do on the Jetstar I am hoping this will help to get more close to their process.

The other reason I don't really want to come in with the steam from the bottom is the chance of steam condensing in the delivery line. My boiler has some height to it and I would then have to run the steam line down and then back up. My fear is this would create blockage with the condensate. That would create pressure buildup till the blockage was cleared and I believe it would rob precious energy from my steam. When running the boil, the beauty of this system is very low pressure and very low water volume. I don't want to increase the pressures any more then they are. Which is 5 psig. During the mash the superheated steam will run 0 psig.

Last edited by GreenMonti; 02-07-2010 at 11:59 PM.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:05 AM   #5
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This is so frickin' cool I don't know what to say... well other than this is SO FRICKIN" COOL!!!!!!

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 02-08-2010, 04:48 AM   #6
cascadia
Recipes 

Very impressive. I'm excited to see how this comes together.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #7
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 11

wow...... that is the coolest build I have seen for homebrew by leaps and bounds. Well done sirs.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

beautiful. Subscribed.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #9
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Looks a heck of a lot like the Steinecker Merlin boiler that New Belgium uses. I was wondering when someone would tackle a downscale for homebrewers.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #10
CPTHOOK
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

sweet can't wait to see it finished an in action!

Quick Reply