Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Minifridge that fits carboys?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
nosnhojm20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Minifridge that fits carboys?

I'm looking for a minifridge that can be used as a fermentation chamber as space is an issue. I am the only beer drinker in the house so I think one bucket or carboy at a time will be enough as I can lager in the keezer if need be.

Any ideas? I really don't feel like adding a collar to an existing minifridge or trying to convince SWMBO I need another chest freezer (choosing my battles).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
Quadrupled
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 107

For what it's worth, I've used a Son of Fermentation chiller until now, but am looking at both a Frigidaire (model LFPH44M4LM http://www.frigidaire.com/products/K...FPH44M4LM.aspx) and a Danby (model DAR044A2SLDD http://www.danby.com/en/US/our_produ...n/dar044a2sldd). The freezer is removable in the Frigidaire and not present in the Danby. Any thoughts on what you're looking at?

Old 11-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
tmurph6
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Instead of putting a collar on the mini fridge i just carved out the insulation on the door. The fridge doesn't need to get real cold so you can afford to lose a little insulation.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
nosnhojm20
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Thanks for the input. I've got no further on the fridge search, mostly because I feel like a dead end and hence this thread. I do like the idea if just stripping the inside of the door, what model makes this easy to do with little other modification?

Old 11-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #5
nosnhojm20
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrupled
For what it's worth, I've used a Son of Fermentation chiller until now, but am looking at both a Frigidaire (model LFPH44M4LM http://www.frigidaire.com/products/K...FPH44M4LM.aspx) and a Danby (model DAR044A2SLDD http://www.danby.com/en/US/our_produ...n/dar044a2sldd). The freezer is removable in the Frigidaire and not present in the Danby. Any thoughts on what you're looking at?
How did you end up with these fridges?! I am super curious. Do they fit carboy/buckets with little modification?

Old 11-04-2013, 01:36 AM   #6
govner1
Raconteur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 210 Times on 176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnhojm20
How did you end up with these fridges?! I am super curious. Do they fit carboy/buckets with little modification?
Here's what I did w/ a Haier. I finished the initial effort of a guy getting out of brewing. I put it on casters for easy movement.

Attachment 158061

Old 11-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
Quadrupled
Recipes 

The reason for first selecting these were that these were converted into kegerators by others and provided sufficient space for corny kegs. When looking at them in person, I was able to confirm that the freezer appears to be removable in the Frigidaire, providing a clearing from the bottom shelf of about 20 inches. The Danby doesn't have a freezer and has a similar clearance. Also, there are floor models near me where I was able to take measurements to knock out any unsuitable models. Lastly it seems that if I'd be willing to cut the door milk shelf, that there will be an abundance of space.

I still need to check with a fermentation bucket and carboy to confirm space, but that's where I am at in my perusing.

ETA: Just to be clear, I believe that even without cutting into the door that if I remove the freezer from the Frigidaire that a bucket will fit. Again, I need to bring the bucket and carboy in to confirm.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #8
newbrewer001
Recipes 

Two words----wine fridge.Remove shelves add temp controller done. Vissani is model i used based on article on this site but unfortunately it was being dis continued when i got mine.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:45 PM   #9
Quadrupled
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbrewer001 View Post
Two words----wine fridge.Remove shelves add temp controller done. Vissani is model i used based on article on this site but unfortunately it was being dis continued when i got mine.
I thought about the wine fridge because of the open space, but am considering lagering in this as well and, as I'm seeing it, the lower end temperatures for the wine fridge are often in the mid 40s F. Also, it seems that a lot of models have blue lights permanently on, though this can probably be removed.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
newbrewer001
Recipes 

WIth stc-1000 controlling the temp it will go to whatever temp you set it. Plus you can lager it in the keg you will later serve it from and kepe that in your kegerator/keezer. I unplugged my light.

Quick Reply