HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Mini fridge for a kegerator - help needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 01:38 AM   #1
CanadianQuaffer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Mini fridge for a kegerator - help needed.

This one seems ideal:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/8/KitchenBath/Barware/Refrigerators/PRD~0431813P/Whirlpool+Energy+Star%AE+Compact+Refrigerator.jsp? locale=en

I just have a question though.
I'll probably have to replace the door shelves with a large piece of white melamine board, 1/8" thick, to be sure the corny kegs will have enough room, that should be easy.

But I'd rather install a tower tap as that would be at a better height instead of putting taps in the door.

How concerned should I be about the possibility of cooling lines running through the top? Obviously I don't want to hit them when I drill the hole for the tap tower.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Nick

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2011, 05:00 AM   #2
benbradford
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

I have cut apart at least three fridges to remove the compressor and never come accross one with cooling lines in the sides. That being said, be careful and there is a thread online here about using i think vodka and corn starch to find lines...

I think it's too bad that everybody's decided to turn on drugs, I don't think drugs are the problem. Crime is the problem. Cops are the problem. Money's the problem. But drugs are just drugs.
Jerry Garcia

Old 09-17-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
G_Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

if there's nothing mounted on the ceiling of the fridge you will probably be ok... i did the same as you want to do, i was going to buy the same fridge from Canadian Tire but found a stainless steel door one at costco for 150.... I was even worried about electrical wires for the thermostat mounted on the ceiling.. What I did, I drilled the hole in the outside steel firstthen slowly with a small knife worked my way through the foam.. .luckly there were no wires or lines in the way.. but i was nervous the whole time

Go brew something!!! :)

Quick Reply