Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Mini-fridge Kegerator Conversion--Keep freezer??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
Sshamash
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Mini-fridge Kegerator Conversion--Keep freezer??

Hi All,

I am picking up a mini fridge later from a buddy (assuming it fits my purposes) later today. I intend on adding dual tap tower on top.

I know it has a freezer compartment on top, I was thinking that instead of doing the whole bending back thing, can I drill a hole right through it and feed an insulated tube to 'house' the beer lines, so they do not freeze? I do not think those small compartment freezers get that cold anyhow...so not that much insulation wold be needed.

Thoughts? Just trying to simplify the process/eliminate further possibility of ruining the fridge.

Cheers,
Saul

Primary: Snake Dog Clone, Belgian Chamomile Pale,
Secondary: Oaky Hard Cider, Saison
Bottled and waiting on:
Drinking:, Gingerbread Porter, Nutbrown Variety (Chocoalte, Hazelnut, Vanilla, Bourbon, Coffee, regualr), ESB, Bourbon Porter, Honey Wheat IPA, Meyer Witbier, Galaxy SMaSH

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
propdriver
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

The way I understand how the fridges are built, that freezer compartment is the cooler plate for the fridge.
If you drill through it you'll kill the fridge by releasing all the non freon freon.
Bend it out of the way (when it's warm) and you should be fine.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
Stoneciphes
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Bend it when warm! Do not drill it. Who am I to say this well... The United States Air Force trained me as an Ground Radio Technician, then I was an Electrician, then a APPLIANCE TECHNICIAN, then Telecommunications Technician, and finally I am a Radar Technician. You will have an insulated paper weight if you drill the chill plate!

Quick Reply