Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Mini fridge extension/conversion to kegerator buildd

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2012, 11:42 PM   #1
basementbrewbrad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Mini fridge extension/conversion to kegerator buildd

Yesterday I ordered some parts to make a kegerator out of my mini fridge (3 gallon corny, hoses, lines, tap, co2 bottle etc). In preparation for Friday when all of my supplies come in. I went to home depot today and bought some supplies to prep my fridge for its transformation (bolts, nuts, washers, pine 1x4's, gate lock/latch, t braces, insulator foam, and caulk).

My plan was to add an extension to the front of the fridge to make it easier when i convert to 5 gallon kegs and multiple taps. So we took the door of the fridge off and bolted the extension to the front of the refrigerator and bolted the door hinges to the extension. I then filled the cracks with insulation foam and caulk and painted the refrigerator black with Duplicolor epoxy paint for appliances. For my own personal flare I am dying the pine with green rit dye(available at wall mart and is water based). Once I finish getting the color I want I will put a mixture of tongue oil and armor all to make a hard, shiny, quick drying, durable finish. I learned this trick from my Dad using it on one of his gun stocks; this dye is the left over mix from that stock.

Here is a few pictures of my progress so far, I will be sanding down spots with smudges/imperfections on the original refrigerator tomorrow so please don't criticize my terrible paint job. Cant Wait to get this unique piece up and running.

Let me know what you think of the rit dye on the pine and the build in general.

100_2363.jpg   100_2364.jpg   100_2367.jpg   100_2368.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
basementbrewbrad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

having problems with the paint... went to add a second coat of black and I am getting little patches of bubbles. Anybody have a tip for fixing/preventing these

Old 01-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
basementbrewbrad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I am currently putting the tongue oil on the wood now and sealing it all. I will be caulking all of the cracks and putting foam down on the wood on the inner part of the fridge as a moisture barrier. I am ok but overly happy with the paint minus the door(had to strip it so I can repaint it). The paint is not working out as well as I had hoped. I guess in the end as long as the kegerator part works looks don't matter.

New pictures are soon to come

Old 01-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
purplehaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default paint

The problems with your paint are more than likely caused from the oil on your hands. Once you prep something for paint DON'T touch it with bare hands, wear rubber gloves.

I had the same problem when painting or applying a finish to wood. Just handling the piece momentarily with bare hands before painting was enough to make it bubble and crack.

What I do is let the paint dry, sand the area down and wipe it with a bit of solvent. Once its dry I reapply the finish.

Another reason could be cold temps while applying the paint. Paint has a minimum temp for application.

By the way I like the green dye on the collar.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
gabejavitt
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

you shouldn't put the fridge on its side, but since you already have, you should let it stand upright for at least 12 hours before turning it on. fyi. looking good though.

also how are you going to have the door seal to the collar, you either need a magnetic cover for the wood, or a latch...

Old 01-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
basementbrewbrad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabejavitt View Post
you shouldn't put the fridge on its side, but since you already have, you should let it stand upright for at least 12 hours before turning it on. fyi. looking good though.

also how are you going to have the door seal to the collar, you either need a magnetic cover for the wood, or a latch...

I will stand it up for a while before turning it on. I have a gate latch to keep it closed with that twists and has a key lock

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/new-...p-farm-400000/

Old 01-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
basementbrewbrad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
The problems with your paint are more than likely caused from the oil on your hands. Once you prep something for paint DON'T touch it with bare hands, wear rubber gloves.

I had the same problem when painting or applying a finish to wood. Just handling the piece momentarily with bare hands before painting was enough to make it bubble and crack.

What I do is let the paint dry, sand the area down and wipe it with a bit of solvent. Once its dry I reapply the finish.

Another reason could be cold temps while applying the paint. Paint has a minimum temp for application.

By the way I like the green dye on the collar.
what kind of solvent do you Use?

It is very cold here so that could be the problem but the first coat worked fine. Seemed to be the second one that caused the bubbles. The door is being striped right now and the wood is about to get the last coat of tongue oil. I am going to bring the door inside and sand it/let it sit in the warm air then paint it in the garage and place a heater near it so hopefully it will dry will little to no flaws.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #8
basementbrewbrad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Finally could get outside and do some work on the door with aircraft stripper today due to the nice weather. I plan on sanding it down to bare metal with wet/dry automotive sandpaper and a sanding block. I may polish the door depending on how I think it will look.

I have now put about 6 coats of the tongue oil and armor-all mixture on the wood and it looks great.

Pictures soon to come

Old 01-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #9
basementbrewbrad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

update on the wood finish. Almost done... Maybe one or 2 coats

The Door needs a final wet-sanding before I re-spray it. I also plan on sanding/repainting a few spots on the top and sides of the fridge that are flawed. I will make sure I do a better job of wiping it down before I lay a coat of paint down after sanding this time.

still have to add my foam insulation to use as a moisture barrier and caulk/seal the inside. My lines and tap should arrive on Monday so that I can drill holes and do some final assembly.

Here are some pictures... Let me know what you think

100_2386.jpg   100_2387.jpg   100_2385.jpg  

Old 01-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #10
basementbrewbrad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I have decided to polish the door of the fridge. We shall see how it looks