New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > mini cold box project.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2007, 05:10 PM   #11
Uncle Argyle
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Thanks for all the advice, I am in the planning stages now and I making some preliminary drawings. Once I move along further I will post my progress with some pictures.

Thanks for all the help,

Mike.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2007, 05:25 PM   #12
Fiery Sword
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Argyle
Thanks for all the advice, I am in the planning stages now and I making some preliminary drawings. Once I move along further I will post my progress with some pictures.
Definitely do keep us posted, man. I'm a few pic's short of pulling the trigger on this project myself. If I see yours I might get jealous and just do it!!

Old 01-16-2007, 07:13 PM   #13
runhard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey Uncle Argyle,
If you built the cold box yourself, the local big box shops Home Crapot and Lower Quality didn't have the 2 inch extruded polystyrene. I called a couple of insulation places and located the 2" stuff for about $25/sheet. One sheet was just enough for a 6.5 gallon fermenter and 6-1 gallon jugs of ice if that gives any idea of what mileage you can get from a single sheet. The 2" stuff is fairly durable and very easy to work with but I do like the idea of using 1/4 plywood for greater integrity. In my flippin' hot as hades garage in central Texas, the box would maintain a temp in the mid 60's for 2-3 days between ice changes. I imagine with a little 1.7-2.0 cu. ft. refrigerator the temp would be easily maintained at what you want. Good luck.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:47 AM   #14
mcody2005

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

this thread has been tuning the gears in my head for days. Im gonna go down the the local estate sale flee market on friday and see if i can pick up a small fride with good guts. they usually have a lot crap like this for aroud 15 buck or so. the "quick and dirty" cooler i just built to lager my beer may be going into the dumpster...

Old 01-18-2007, 02:19 AM   #15
Uncle Argyle

Recipes 

It's funny that you mention Home depot not having that type of insulation. I went to their website and couldn't find insulation of any kind...

I am going to have to look around locally and see if I can track down that 2" foam board.

I will keep you all posted. Thanks for the advice.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:40 AM   #16
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

When I built my walk-in cooler, I chose a 3/4" R5 foam board over the thicker 2" R7.8 board. You can stack it to 4 layers for R20 in 3" thickness where the other board is only going to give you R15.6 in 4". Also, don't skimp on insulating the floor as cold decends.

Old 01-18-2007, 03:40 PM   #17
Uncle Argyle

Recipes 

The cold box (the cooling area attached to the fridge and not the entire external dimensions of the kegerator) that I am thinking about is only going to be 6 cu ft. with the internal dimensions about 14"D x 24"W x 30"H. This gives about 2" space between the kegs for circulation and keeps space to a minimum.

My questions are...is this too little space? Doesn't seem it would be, given the internal dimensions of a sanyo refigerator.

Also, given this size...would I need to have 3" to 4" of insulation? I am trying to keep the external dimensions as small as possible.

Thanks again.

OK, I stopped at Home Depot for kicks and found the following
1 7/8" R12.2
1" R6.5
2" R10
1 1/2" R7.5
3/4" R4

Keeping mind that I want to keep external dimensions to a minimum, would 4 sheets of 3/4" R4 be my best bet? That would be R16 at 3 " and is the most cost effcient to purchase as well. Is there an R value that I should be shooting for?

Last edited by Uncle Argyle; 01-18-2007 at 06:02 PM.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:22 PM   #18
mcody2005

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think that 4 sheets woul be overkillfor your small project. it makes more cense on a large walk in type for energy saving$. r-10 should be more than enough on a small box like yours. spend the extra time and dough thinking about how to get a good air tight seal between the box and the door because this area will be much more penetrable from outside heat than the rest of your box.

Last edited by mcody2005; 01-18-2007 at 10:29 PM.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:01 PM   #19
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcody2005
I think that 4 sheets woul be overkillfor your small project. it makes more cense on a large walk in type for energy saving$. r-10 should be more than enough on a small box like yours. spend the extra time and dough thinking about how to get a good air tight seal between the box and the door because this area will be much more penetrable from outside heat than the rest of your box.
I was more pointing out that layering the thinner higher R-value board can you more insulation is less thickness... I don't know his planned R-value, but the higher the better, obviously.

Merchandise: http://zazzle.com/deepsix
Projects: HERMs Setup v2.0 | Fermentation Cabinets | Milling Station | Wort Chilling Station| Walk-in Cooler | Kegerator

"If thair is no gas bing pasted thru the air lock check for a leak."
"Handcrafted Brewing - A guide for All home brewers!" by Stan Richards, RFC - Copyright 1992.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:06 PM   #20
Uncle Argyle

Recipes 

I have been using a freeware 3D program (Wings 3D) to help plan the design for mini-coldbox. I hope these images show up...first time posting pics.

The cube in the pics is a 1.7 cu ft. dorm fridge.

Quick Reply