Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Mini CO2 regulators

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
Loptr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mini CO2 regulators

Hey peeps,

For a while I have randomly been searching for mini regulators to use inside my keezer. Thereby giving me the ability to manage each keg, this would be after the primary regulator.

EXAMPLE
The ones I have found are typically more than $25 and the gauge goes to 160-300 psi.

So I am hoping some of you may have an idea on where I can locate a more reasonably priced product that would meet this need.

Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

You're looking for secondary regulators, not minis.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
paparker21
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Loptr, you are looking at miniature regulators rated for air duty. As david said, what you need for controlling each keg is a secondary regulator. Secondary regulators are not cheap - they're generally 50+. see my thread here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/secondary-regulators-307586/

Also, you should consider whether you truly need a regulator for each keg or if you can get away with just a couple - for me, ill operate with just 2 regulators - one for low carb brews and one for 2.3 volume brews like my apas.

Also, you dont necessarily have to attach the second body directly to the regulator on the tank- you can swap the inlet for a barbed fitting and put it wherever you want. Just keep in mind, the order you set up your regulators matters

Old 03-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
cdelap
Recipes 

What is the reasoning for not using a standard air duty regulator as a secondary, I have been using these for a couple years with great results, I found them for $15 at grainger then put at 30 psi gauge on each

Old 03-04-2012, 03:08 AM   #5
paparker21
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

largely because changing the guage doesn't change the optimal pressure range of the regulator. Generally those are rated for a much higher temp than we're using- that makes it hard to dial in the pressure you want, but the regulator also may not hold the 10-15 psi as well as it holds 80-150. Additionally, the cold CO2 could negatively affect the seals of the regulator, depending on what material is used.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
cdelap
Recipes 

I guess the big issue is buying a quality regulated then, the ones I use are ones we typically specify for use in Chemistry research labs commonly with argon, nitrogen and c02 they are placed after a automatic switch and used to give local access to pressure regulation

Old 03-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
paparker21
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well, that's definitely good to know that you've been able to use them successfully for a couple years (just re-read your first post cdelap). I wouldn't expect the CO2 to really degrade the seals fast enough for it to matter to us as homebrewers. Seems like a decent way to go about it - just make sure that you check the regulator specifications to ensure it will operate at the desired pressures.

Quick Reply