Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Mill concept

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2011, 06:26 AM   #1
mattd2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default Mill concept

I got a tiny bit of spare cash and I wanted to get a mill. Over here a corona style will set you back $100+ so I thought I would look into getting a roller mill fabricated by a workshop I know through work. Now I want to make it a simple as possible and have come up with this concept.

The end blocks will be drilled through for the threaded rod and held in place by the nuts (gap setting by them aswell). Will get a 1 or 2 mm sheet metal base made to give it a bit more stability and this will overhang the mill a bit to also allow it to be bolted down to a board.
Any ideas, comments, questions or suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
trigger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It looks like a nifty design, except that the mill will be shooting grain out through the gaps between the end plates. You really need those to be solid, since the grain likes to spread across the top of the gap. You could get some thin gauge Al and slot it, then put it between the plates and the rollers to fill up that gap.

Oh, also I wouldn't use depleted uranium for the bushings. I'm pretty sure that not safe (DU, get it?).

The power to tax, once conceded, has no limits; it contains until it destroys. I was not joking when I told them to dig into their own pouches. It may not be possible to do away with government — sometimes I think that government is an inescapable disease of human beings. But it may be possible to keep it small and starved and inoffensive — and can you think of a better way than by requiring the governors themselves to pay the costs of their antisocial hobby?

R. A. Heinlein

Old 03-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
dmfa200
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
I got a tiny bit of spare cash and I wanted to get a mill. Over here a corona style will set you back $100+ so I thought I would look into getting a roller mill fabricated by a workshop I know through work. Now I want to make it a simple as possible and have come up with this concept.

The end blocks will be drilled through for the threaded rod and held in place by the nuts (gap setting by them aswell). Will get a 1 or 2 mm sheet metal base made to give it a bit more stability and this will overhang the mill a bit to also allow it to be bolted down to a board.
Any ideas, comments, questions or suggestions?
Why not buy a Monster Mill?
http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/mm-2.html
It works great, and I am extremely pleased with it.

Unless you know this workshop very well and they will cut you a huge deal, you won't be able to have one fabricated for the price of the MM-2

I don't know what you said, but your wrong.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
mattd2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger View Post
Oh, also I wouldn't use depleted uranium for the bushings. I'm pretty sure that not safe (DU, get it?).
Going by your dog in your avatar i guess you know the dangers of messing with that stuff Good call on the side plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmfa200 View Post
Why not buy a Monster Mill?
http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/mm-2.html
It works great, and I am extremely pleased with it.

Unless you know this workshop very well and they will cut you a huge deal, you won't be able to have one fabricated for the price of the MM-2
There is a good chance I could get one fabricated for at least the same price of buying a monster mill, or simular, and shipping it half way round the world. Will keep this update.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:27 AM   #5
mattd2
Recipes 

Another question. Most mills I have seen being sold have a 12 tpi knurl on the rollers. I have also read somewhere on here that the knurl is not needed for rollers above 2". Does anyone have any info on what/when it is needed to have knurled rollers?

Old 03-22-2011, 05:15 AM   #6
brieuxster
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-grain-mill-230293/ Please take a look at the design of my grain mill. It is powered by a small drill.

Dan Hunt

Old 03-22-2011, 06:58 AM   #7
mattd2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brieuxster View Post
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-grain-mill-230293/ Please take a look at the design of my grain mill. It is powered by a small drill.
Looks nice. Brings up another question I need answers to, how long to make the rollers, with yours at 3" long does the grain spread out to touch the end plates?

Also found this post by Bobby in regards to the requirements for knurling the rollers, might do without and see if it is a problem or not first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
The larger the roller, the less steep the entry angle is so the roller grips the grain more gradually. It doesn't need the knurl bite. 2" works just fine though.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I would venture to say that even at two inches, when you are milling hard grains like wheat or even the darker roasted barley, like black patent, a smooth roller will have trouble pulling the grain through.

Put yourself on the Homebrewers Map see the forum thread

My ridiculously easy stir plate buildMy Kegerator

Old 03-22-2011, 02:46 PM   #9
fifelee

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Can't remember where, but I believe I read that pro brewers have large diameter rollers without knurl. With a large diameter the approach angle is more gradual and will pull the grain through. It is also better because the malt is just crushed. With the knurl the malt get somewhat shredded.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:30 PM   #10
brieuxster
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

The grain is not spreading out, yet. The funnel needs to be modified, cut back,to get my mill running at its full capacity. The gap should be around 40 thousandth of a inch, set it using two pieces of steel banding stacked together. Let me know if you want more details.

Quick Reply