Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Mid-Missouri freezer conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2011, 09:01 PM   #11
2puttbird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Okay ... so I messed up ... I was just double-checking in internal layout of the keezer and I accidentally noticed that I can't get 3 commercial 1/6 barrel kegs on the floor of this freezer ... [heavy sigh]

In retrospect, this should have been the first thing I checked before buying the freezer, but I had two things working against me: (1) you guys were getting three (but they were corny kegs ... duh), and (2) my initial design was for two taps, and I added the third later, figuring that I might want it later, so I may as well do it all now. Given the number of threads I've read here, you'd think I would have noted that fact, because I'm sure somebody has stated it (probably more than once), but somehow it slipped by me.

Fortunately, I haven't drilled the holes for the faucets yet ... so I'll just re-tool for a two-tap unit ... and if I ever get the urge for a third tap in the future, I'll just have to re-build the top to create more space so that I can put one on the hump.

In other news, I cut up a few black tiles, performed a final dry fit-up, and installed all of the tiles, using a couple of vinyl commercial floor tiles under the glass tile to make everything the same thickness.

I also built and tested my "eBay" temperature controller.

I painted the base black, and took it upstairs to verify placement and fit in the intended location.

So except for me failing to do my due diligence before deciding to install three taps, things are finally starting to shape up ... at least I will have plenty of space in the keezer for glasses and bottles of adult beverage when I'm done!

[Edit: it looks like I will be able to fit a slim quarter and a sixth, along with the CO2 and fan.)

Last edited by 2puttbird; 07-28-2011 at 10:05 PM. Reason: added information pertinent to this post

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2011, 10:02 PM   #12
2puttbird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

[fast forward 10 weeks]

The cabinet maker finally showed up this week and installed the two projects we had hired him for, and he came through with some extra stain for me to use on my keezer. So it's time to kick this thing back into gear!

My top is structurally complete, but I still need to final-sand, stain, finish, and attach the gasket. I used SS t-nuts for the hinge attachments, which make it very easy to attach the lid.

My drip tray assembly is also structurally complete, but the four magnets that I used are not sufficient to hold it onto the front of the freezer ... it keeps wanting to slide down ... so I will probably remove the magnets and go with the heavy duty double-sided tape instead.

I swiped the fan-on-a-standpipe idea that several others have used.

My plan is to finish it this weekend and fire it up to make sure it's running smoothly, then order the kegs and hope for my first pour by Tuesday!

1107-top.jpg   1107-tnuts.jpg   1107-drip-tray.jpg   1107-fan.jpg  

If you're not having fun, lower your standards ...

My keezer build thread --> Mid-Missouri freezer conversion

VWBug5000 Likes This 
Old 08-01-2011, 03:41 AM   #13
Mcbobs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Really looks great man. You've got quite a few ideas that I think I might incorporate into my future keezer build.

One question though.... How did you attach the drip tray to the side of the freezer? I think I read something about rare earth magnets. Are you just using them to stick it to the side and also support the weight of the tray?

Old 08-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #14
2puttbird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks. I tried the rare earth magnets, but like so many other things, I overbuilt the drip tray structure and it was just too heavy, so I'm going to use the 3M heavy duty double-stick tape instead.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:44 PM   #15
Atl300zx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2puttbird View Post
Thanks. I tried the rare earth magnets, but like so many other things, I overbuilt the drip tray structure and it was just too heavy, so I'm going to use the 3M heavy duty double-stick tape instead.
Just make sure you position the tape pieces vertically, it will have more strength this way. I I I I vs =======
Bottles: Triple Berry Apple Cider, Cote Apple Cider, Wild Blackberry Apple Cider, Dim Wit II, Mighty Porter
Kegs: 4Cs IPA - The Diamond Standard, Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Clone.
On Deck: The "Three Stouts", Wild Blackberry Mead, Irish Red

Jaded Spirits DIY Stirplate
Blog @ JadedSpirits.com
Blog @ HBT

Old 08-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #16
JoshuaWhite5522
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

nice build, wish I had done my tile work like yours....

The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind
- Humphrey Bogart

My Keezer Build

Old 08-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #17
2puttbird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl300zx View Post
Just make sure you position the tape pieces vertically, it will have more strength this way. I I I I vs =======
Really? I'm suprised that the orientation matters ... intuitively it seems like square inches would be the primary key since it's all going to be loaded in shear. Thanks for the tip!

The other thing I'm worried about is getting it on straight ... I've got a pretty serious OCD thing, and it would drive me crazy if I missed even by a little bit ... so I'm planning to cut a piece of wood the right size and have it sitting on the floor so that I can use it as a brace for the bottom of the assembly as I press it into place. If anyone has a better method, please post it ... thanks!

Old 08-01-2011, 05:05 PM   #18
2puttbird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaWhite5522 View Post
nice build, wish I had done my tile work like yours....
Thanks ... it's a matter of taste I guess ... yours was was one of the threads that I went through when looking for design ideas, and I like how you embedded the tile into the wood top, but then SWMBO and I started looking at border tiles, and ultimately at plain black bathroom tiles to surround the glass tiles, and that's what we settled on.

This was my first tiling effort ... I did okay, I guess, but I learned that I definitely don't have the patience to tackle anything bigger than that!

Old 08-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #19
Atl300zx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2puttbird View Post
Really? I'm suprised that the orientation matters ... intuitively it seems like square inches would be the primary key since it's all going to be loaded in shear. Thanks for the tip!
I just know from previous experience. I originally attached mine in the horizontal format and was having issues with the drip tray sagging. When i moved to the vertical format, it held much better and when i eventually removed them to convert the freezer from a kegerator to a fermentation chamber, i almost couldnt remove them. For a point of reference, i would put a filled glass pitcher of beer on the drip tray when the tape was in the vertical configuration.
Bottles: Triple Berry Apple Cider, Cote Apple Cider, Wild Blackberry Apple Cider, Dim Wit II, Mighty Porter
Kegs: 4Cs IPA - The Diamond Standard, Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Clone.
On Deck: The "Three Stouts", Wild Blackberry Mead, Irish Red

Jaded Spirits DIY Stirplate
Blog @ JadedSpirits.com
Blog @ HBT

Old 08-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #20
Jeebas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts

Nice looking tile work, it fits in with the wood on the trim perfectly!

Quick Reply