Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Micro malt house DIY for home malting automation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2014, 09:51 PM   #1
mysobry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 8 Posts

Default Micro malt house DIY for home malting automation

Hi
I’m an Italian homebrewer and after experimenting brewing and DIY and automation of my equipments in different direction I have started a new project that I would like to share

The idea is not new…producing a batch of beer from A to Z from the ground to the glass. I have alredy an hop garden and late autumn this year I have planted a small ground with 2 row barley that now is growing.

What I would like to share in order to get your comment and support is my idea of micro malt house: a small all in one drum malting system that could produce 5-6 kg of base malt.

I would like to perform steeping, germination and kilning in one single box with a good level of automation (via arduino microcontroller that I'’ using successfully for brewing and fermentation)

Here is the cad design of the structure

One square box with a rotating drum inside and a removable cover, a fan heater from one side and 2 fans on the top in order to create a heating flow. Two solenoid valve for water inlet and outlet and a gear motor for drum rotation.
The drum should be removable in order to load easily and clean the box

I’m a little bit warried about the max temperature I can achieve with this single box during kilning phase since all the component are not insulated like in a oven but I think that for base malt should be enough

The drum has been refurbished from a top loading washing machine

here is the fan with the 2Kw heating element

and the two way 12V solenoid valve and the level switch

about the motor I would like to use a stepper motor that I easier to control in term of rotation and steps but I don’t know if the torque is enough

I have provided the design and the specification to a local company specialized in stainless steel precision lase cut and that is the result for the mechanical part and structure

the drum can be completely and easily removed

the motor flange can be regulated in order to stretch the belt

the hot air inlet an outlet

water port to be connected to the solenoid valve

Teflon shaft support

shaft adapter

air fin

now I’m trying to design a workflow in term of steps and action on the motor/valve/fun/heater in order to start to define the skeleton of the software program

any suggestion and comment is appreciated
Davide

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 11:19 PM   #2
Lopsy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I'm honored to be the first to reply. Damn, man.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:27 PM   #3
plasmator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Wow, that drum looks like it was made for this job! I'm guessing that top-loading washing machines in Europe are different than those here in the US. Our drums sit 'vertical' with an open top. It looks like yours sit 'horizontal' and have a door in the round wall?

Fantastic idea and repurposing of materials. If my assumptions are correct, I'm disappointed that your project won't be very easy to replicate here in the US but here's to hoping I'm wrong on that

Old 01-29-2014, 01:18 AM   #4
Jim_Holmes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

looks good ill be keeping an eye on this one. for replication here in the US with our drums maybe tack a plate over our open end and cut a side door with a piano hinge and hook clasp to lock it. didnt see the inside of the drum but maybe have a plate welded inside as a conveyer to lift the barley out of the water for a bit to allow air to it. as it comes around the malt would just fall off the shelf back into the water to be picked up again as it rotates. otherwise the grain would just sit in the bottom where the water is

Old 01-29-2014, 01:28 AM   #5
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmator View Post
Wow, that drum looks like it was made for this job! I'm guessing that top-loading washing machines in Europe are different than those here in the US. Our drums sit 'vertical' with an open top. It looks like yours sit 'horizontal' and have a door in the round wall?

Fantastic idea and repurposing of materials. If my assumptions are correct, I'm disappointed that your project won't be very easy to replicate here in the US but here's to hoping I'm wrong on that
Staber makes the same style of washing machine in Columbus, Oh. So it's possible to make it in the states.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:31 AM   #6
elimn8u
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Wow, very nice work. Definitely inspiring.

'Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes & dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than to be selfish and worry about my liver.' --Jack Handy

Old 01-29-2014, 03:53 AM   #7
dlaramie08
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What's to keep the grain from falling through the little holes in your drum?

Old 01-29-2014, 09:05 AM   #8
mysobry
Recipes 

Default drum malting

Thank you for your enthusiasm for the project !
Italian homebrewer community is quite active and I enjoy a lot to share with them my project..but as you can imagine for me going overseas and be guest in your forum where DIY homebrewing approach is so spread give me great stimulus and inspiration

Coming to some question raised
I was not aware about the different apporach of the washing machine between EU and US…also here top loading model are not so spread but looking but lloking in the junkyards is not difficult to find one…unfortunately I can’t ship one to US

Inside the drum there are 3 sectors / blades axially oriented , they are 3-4 cm high . I’m not sure about the level of water that is needed in the steeping phase ..I expect that the axial blade could collect some grains during drum rotation and lift the barley out of the water. Any suggestion on this ? I will provide some more picture asap

About the hole size I have a concern since are 2mm that is a little bit to big for the dry barley. There are also some little gap near the door My idea is to insert internally a very thin stainless steel woven to prevent grain exit.

Yesterday I have tested the heating fan ..just connecting to the inlet port and set the cover on top…even without 2 outlet fan there is a very good hot air air flow so I expect that I can extract easily humidity during the kilning phase

Now I will focus on the motor…do some empirical test with some step motor I have to understand if the torque is enough or I have to switch to a gear motor (the one used for rotisserie)

Stay tuned
Davide

Old 01-29-2014, 02:37 PM   #9
dlaramie08
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You may want to make sure that your motor can turn relatively fast as this ability to tumble quickly will help get rid of the rootlets after kilning.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:25 PM   #10
mysobry
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlaramie08 View Post
You may want to make sure that your motor can turn relatively fast as this ability to tumble quickly will help get rid of the rootlets after kilning.
to be honest I have not thought about this final phase...I was more oriented to a manual removal of the rootles with a sieve

But I got the suggestion and the more I can automate the best is !

Davide

Quick Reply