Old 07-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #61
MaxOut
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default MaxOut Brew Station - In Action

Summary-

Bought a 5 gallon recipe from local HBS called “North of the Boarder” Cervesa. Not my favorite style beer but wanted to try a “cervesa” style beer for some friends who helped with the build.

Not sure exactly what is in it as it is a proprietary recipe. All In all it added up to 8.25lbs of grain and two hop additions. Used smack pack of Wyeast 2007 pilsen lager yeast.

Without getting too detailed I did a single infusion 60 min mash at 154 while reticulating, mash out , fly sparge and 75 min boil and ended up with exactly 5 gallons in the fermenter. Thanks to the BCS-462 and Beersmith2 I nailed my volumes and temps. My OG ended up 1.041.

I am still a rookie and this is my 4th brew so appreciate any criticisms and advice.

In Pictures - Whole malt, fill HLT/HT EX with water right below mash temp and BK with strike water volume below strike temp. Instant hot water heater shaves an hour of brew day. I recirculate in the HLT to keep temps even through out.

img_4809.jpg   img_4811.jpg   img_4813.jpg   img_4810.jpg   img_4826.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #62
bucfanmike
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

im going to say what everyone is thinking.. To be doing your 4th brew on that is so totally wrong, and congratulations . Those of us who say that though, its just outta jealousy so dont take it seriously. Kudos for you to take the time to build it and understand it and not just drop the $$$ on a prebuilt system as a new brewer, At least it shows some understanding of what your system is doing, and why.

Its friggin awesome.

Mike in Duluth

Currently on Tap
1. Hefeweizen
2. BM Centennial Blonde
3. LHMS Clone

Pipeline
Next on Tap-Denny Conn Rye IPA
Kegged and aging Ed Worts Apfelwine, Denny Conn BVIP
Fermenters -

Old 07-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #63
MaxOut
Recipes 

Heating strike water and heat exchanger the rest of the way with the BG-14’s under BCS control. BCS will hold temps and sound buzzer when temps are reached. Prepped the mill over the mash tun and grind the malt. Check my crush? MM3 with gap set at .039. I was milling into a large pot the dumping into mash tun but was losing allot of the fine powder so I decided to do this one directly into the mash tun.

img_4824.jpg   img_4837.jpg   img_4838.jpg   img_4841.jpg   img_4847.jpg  

Old 07-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #64
MaxOut
Recipes 

I transfer the strike water from the BK to the mash tun dough in and let rest. After about 10 min I started recirculating and maintained 154 degrees for 1 hour. Through testing and brewing I have learned that to maintain temps during recirculation I need the HLT about 3-4 degrees above actual desired mash temp. This is due to heat loss in the tubing and pumps. Took a lot of testing to dial it in. I’ve also learned that wort reacts slightly different than water did during testing and has required some tweaking since I started brewing. Last two batches I have been able to set it and just watch. Feels good to get to that point and the wort really get cleared up.

img_4848.jpg   img_4855.jpg   img_4859.jpg   img_4865.jpg   img_4877.jpg  

Old 07-15-2011, 01:12 PM   #65
MaxOut
Recipes 

Finished mashing and mashed out. I sparge with water that was pre-heated to 168 in the HLT during mash out. I move the output from the mash tun through a pump and into the BK. I take the output that was hooked to the mash tun during recirculation and hook to the output of the HLT. This way all the wort that is in the heat exchanger, pump and lines gets pushed out by the sparge water coming from the HLT. Cleans the system and saves all the wort. I keep an eye on the HLT level to measure the desired sparge volume and target pre boil volume. Take a pre-boil gravity reading and start boil.

img_4883.jpg   img_4887.jpg   img_4888.jpg   img_4890.jpg   img_4898.jpg  

Old 07-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #66
MaxOut
Recipes 

Boiled for 75 min with two hop additions, one at start of boil and one at 60 min. During boil I clean mash tun, sanitize fermentor and tools, drain HLT and fill with ice preparing for cool. I also tried to recirculate in BK this time during boil to help with hop utilization. Seemed to make a little difference. Boiled down to desired volume, flame out. Circulate through heat exchanger to cool while whirl pooling in BK. Cool to desired temp and let rest so large particle can settle before transferring to fermener.

img_4874.jpg   img_4894.jpg   img_4899.jpg   img_4923.jpg   img_4925.jpg  

Old 07-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #67
RichBenn
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

So one question:

When do you find time to brew?

Old 07-15-2011, 01:35 PM   #68
MaxOut
Recipes 

Last but not least I take my post boil gravity reading, transfer to fermentor from BK with siphon, oxygenate with med grade O2 regulated a 2 ppm for 2 min, pitch yeast, install air lock, label bucket and place in primary fermenter….wait. At this point I put Saniclean in the HLT circulate through both pumps and heat exchanger and let sit over night to sanitize system for next use. Drain the following day.

img_4916.jpg   img_4926.jpg   img_4927.jpg   img_4929.jpg   img_4930.jpg  

MaxOut Brew Station on AHA

Old 07-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #69
Layne
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Good looking process to go along with that great looking rig.
Awesome documentation!

Old 07-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #70
MaxOut
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBenn View Post
So one question:

When do you find time to brew?
I'm on a much needed break from work and taking care of all the things I have been putting off including posting here SWIMBO has a bunch of honeydoos for me to do and in between I'm getting my brew on! Ive been building this rig for 6 months and it feels good to finally have some home brew in the pipeline to show for it!

Just in time too as my state just raised the sales tax on alcohol to 9%. Recession = higher alcohol sales and high debt = new taxes. Hit us were it hurts.... Home brewing is my way of avoiding high taxes.

Quick Reply