Old 03-31-2013, 09:18 PM   #351
MaxOut
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensiff
How is that stainless filter/strainer from glacier doing for you? I see you are working on kettle filtration for the hops, so is it something that you would only used after the bulk of the material is already seperated. My thought is to go post whirlpool to the glacier strainer to a plate chiller for my application...so what I am really getting at, do you think that would work or do you thinkthe strainer might clog during transfer?
The new boil kettle strainer works really well to the point that the Glacier strainer has not been used since I got the kettle strainer. I used the Glacier strainer in addition to a hop spider with a paint strainer bag prior to the plate chiller as you described and worked well with light to medium hopped beers. Bottom line is the Glacier strainer works good up to the point that it becomes filled and starts to compact. If you could plumb it where it can be removed easy for cleaning mid transfer that would be you best bet. I've never had to remove it but between the whirlpool and strainer bag there was not allot left behind even with 35 gallon batches.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #352
markymarx
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mr. Woody,

Or should it be Dr. for what you've put into this. Simply amazing build of your brewery. I'm in awe in of what you've done...

Makes my ideas of a great brewery look so small and not so nice.

One question based on your operation diagrams of a 6 gallon batch. Do you use your HERMS for cooling your wort as well? As in move the wort through the HERMS and the keggle is filled with ice water?

Simply amazing and an inspiration to many!!

Also, what is your all-grain Moosehead recipe?
This was my beer of choice while living in Canada and hate the 'stale' tasting version I can buy here in MI.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #353
MaxOut
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarx View Post
Mr. Woody,

Or should it be Dr. for what you've put into this. Simply amazing build of your brewery. I'm in awe in of what you've done...

Makes my ideas of a great brewery look so small and not so nice.

One question based on your operation diagrams of a 6 gallon batch. Do you use your HERMS for cooling your wort as well? As in move the wort through the HERMS and the keggle is filled with ice water?

Simply amazing and an inspiration to many!!

Also, what is your all-grain Moosehead recipe?
This was my beer of choice while living in Canada and hate the 'stale' tasting version I can buy here in MI.
Thanks for the kind words, truth is my brewing has slowed down for the summer and starting some new brews now. I was really busy last spring and with the 1.5BBL batches it has taken a while to drink them up and make room for more. I also had a lightning strike while I was away for a couple weeks and lost two refrigerators that included my entire yeast bank and 31 gallons of fermenting beer!!!

Yes I do cool through the HERMS when doing 6 gallon batches and fill the HERMS with ice and water. I have a large ice maker that I use to supply the ice and it takes around 100lbs to do the job quickly. Probably not cost effective if I had to buy the ice. I also use the HERMS in line with the plate chiller on 1.5BBL brews to chill to lager temps. I come out of the BK, pre-filter if needed, go through the plate chiller, HERMS (full of ice and water), in line oxygenation, and into the fermenter all closed loop. With the new hop strainer and a good whirlpool I have not used the pre strainer. I have however used the pre filter with the fine filter when going from fermenter to kegs to catch any small debris and clumps of yeast.

As for the Moosehead clone It is really close to the real thing…even better I think. I only know the all grain version but you could convert it.

4 lbs Pilsner, 3 lbs. American Two-Row, 2 lbs flaked corn (Thomas Faucett), 1 lb. Belgian carmel Pilsner (Cara-8). Mash at 154F degrees.

Hops- .25oz Tettnanger 60min, .25oz Tettnanger & .25oz Hallertauer 30min., .75oz Hallertauer & .5oz Tettnanger 5min.

Wyeast 2035 American Lager yeast I use the smack pack and make a 2 liter starter. Cool wort to 50 degrees oxygenate good and pitch away.

I primary @ 51F for 4 weeks, cold crash to 36F and transfer to kegs and carbonate at 12PSI for minimum of two weeks before serving. You can do a d-rest at 75% fermentation but I have and can’t tell the difference in the final product when doing 6 gallon buckets. Depending on your techniques you may want to secondary to Lager and clear it up. It gets better with age so don’t rush it. Good Luck and enjoy!!

Old 08-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #354
71westbrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

just went through the whole thread and man, this is awesome. My only question is are you taking applications for friends?

Old 08-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #355
Shawnylocks
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71westbrewing View Post
just went through the whole thread and man, this is awesome. My only question is are you taking applications for friends?
id like to apply also! AMAZING system! truly in awe. and drooling all over my desk haha

Old 08-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #356
MaxOut
Recipes 

Cheers! We are all friends here on HBT!

Shawnylocks Likes This 
Old 08-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #357
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 64 Posts

Your Moosehead is missing a hop schedule.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #358
MaxOut
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskii View Post
Your Moosehead is missing a hop schedule.
Thanks for that I've been out of town and just returned. I updated the original post with the correct recipe including hop's

MaxOut Brew Station on AHA

Old 09-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #359
MaxOut
Recipes 

Default Moosehead Clone

As for the Moosehead clone It is really close to the real thing…even better I think. I only know the all grain version but you could convert it.

4 lbs Pilsner, 3 lbs. American Two-Row, 2 lbs flaked corn (Thomas Faucett), 1 lb. Belgian carmel Pilsner (Cara-8). Mash at 154F degrees.

Hops- .25oz Tettnanger 60min, .25oz Tettnanger & .25oz Hallertauer 30min., .75oz Hallertauer & .5oz Tettnanger 5min.

Wyeast 2035 American Lager yeast I use the smack pack and make a 2 liter starter. Cool wort to 50 degrees oxygenate good and pitch away.

I primary @ 51F for 4 weeks, cold crash to 36F and transfer to kegs and carbonate at 12PSI for minimum of two weeks before serving. You can do a d-rest at 75% fermentation but I have and can’t tell the difference in the final product when doing 6 gallon buckets. Depending on your techniques you may want to secondary to Lager and clear it up. It gets better with age so don’t rush it. Good Luck and enjoy!!

MaxOut Brew Station on AHA

Old 09-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #360
zzzzzzzzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Taken a couple of days to read the whole thread. WOW! makes the build I'm doing feel kinda wimpy and dull... but will finish it anyways. I wont be doing anything bigger than 5gals so....wah wah wah.... wish I had a reason to get this involved, but at 66yrs old and single would be a bit over the top! I am totally amazed at the whole thread from start to finish...WOW.
Thanks for the great "trip"
Time for my nap as had 2 nice little blondes while reading the last 2 hours...
zzzzzzzzz

Quick Reply