Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Mash Tun out of buckets...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
Deuce
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Mash Tun out of buckets...

Have any of you made a mash tun out of ale buckets. Where you take a bottling bucket (with spigot) and place the ale pale inside that (with hundreds of holes dripped in the bottom. Thus making a false bottom. I was planning on doing this because it will only cost like 23 bucks total. I was thinking about wrapping the whole assembly (lid included) in Radiant barrier wrap. Let me know what you think.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Waste of time IMO. My 10gl cooler cost thirty five bucks, and it's insolated. The braid and and ball cable etc was another fifteen. You'll save money in the long run by getting better efficiency. Plus it's much less of a nuisance...

Old 02-09-2009, 05:40 PM   #3
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Ya know. On second thought, it's not suuch a bad idea. You would probably to just fine. You'd be limited to probably non or ten pounds of grain though. If you partial, then it's probably just fine

Old 02-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #4
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1
By the time you insulate that bucket setup you could have done a cooler. And the cooler can grow with your setup. Start with a braid and simple valve assembly or even a stopper with hose.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2731 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Yeah I agree with everyone...the 30 year old Zap Tap Gap Adap or whatever it was called when Papazian wrote the bible was great in it's day, it was cheap and easy and a great intro to doing AG...BUT like so many things in this hobby, that idea evolved and grew into the cooler mastun with toilet braid design. Which has the added benefit of actually holding in heat longer, and making for a better AG experience, with more likelyhood of success...and has a nice convenient ball valve.

But having said that...it still would work...it made beer for charlie and thousands of other folks back in the day...but it was one of those guys using that system who looked at a cooler one day and said..."Hey I wonder what would happen if I...?"

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 02-09-2009 at 05:50 PM.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:03 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 964 Times on 645 Posts
Likes Given: 28

A lot of good discussion here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/batch-sparging-zapap-101913/

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #7
sterling214
Recipes 

I used a free 5 gallon bucket from the bakery, and it held 10 pounds of grain without a problem. I also had it inside of a 4 gallon bucket from the same bakery that i drilled a hole in for the spigot from my bottling bucket. I mashed in a cooler thou, and still had problems maintaining mash temps. If you are trying to make something for free, this is the way to go. If you are going to spend money, I would just buy and modify cooler.

Last edited by sterling214; 02-10-2009 at 12:37 PM.

Quick Reply